SAU Community

R35 Engines?

ali-turko

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure they're not direct injection - which is a bit of a dumber and not just for emissions control. Anybody know what type of engine management ie spreed density or twin AFM's? Has nissan given up on EMS and just relegated bosch to do there engine control? Aslo are there two 02 sensor on each bank ie before and after catalytic converter? One way fuel system?? Surely there is moe info out there.

i don't know why they don't just run the outlet from the turbo through a single divided long intercooler core and into the opposite bank of cylinders instead

Same as porsche turbo

i don't know why they don't just run the outlet from the turbo through a single divided long intercooler core and into the opposite bank of cylinders instead

I was thinking that too, you'd think there would be a little less pressure drop

they guys making it had friends in tuning shops and aftermarket intercooler factories and wanted to leave them with some work! :ninja:

Same as porsche turbo

it's not like they could put a long divided intercooler in the back of the 911 bumper bar, with the exhaust and lack of airflow and whatnot

I was thinking that too, you'd think there would be a little less pressure drop

all those bends look like a massive flow restriction

they guys making it had friends in tuning shops and aftermarket intercooler factories and wanted to leave them with some work! :)

shifty work on the part of HKS, Top Secret and Signal, eh? lol

• 3 weeks later...

back on topic, I think people are confusing the R35 GTR with the Skyline GTR's.

It's not a skyline. It's not a daily driver that's had a magic wand waved over it. It's a (relatively) cheap supercar. It's designed to be a collectors piece from day one. Handmade engines, new technology, advanced driver aids, this isn't a car for the street, it's a car you either tune for racing, or a bauble you brag to your other banker/ footballer friends about owning.

Maybe in five years time, things may change. They may make a more mass produced model, resulting in more cost effectiveness. To be honest, I can't see much profit coming directly from the R35. The price point seems too low for the amount of labour, research, development etc. that went into it, so it seems like it's a hero car, an example of what they can do, more than an attempt at making a supercar for the common man.

due to the low volume, I don't expect it to drop dramatically in price like the skylines. I also don't imagine that there'll be the same amount of aftermarket support, unless the volume of cars produced is upped.

To be fair though, if the R35 lives up to hype, Nissan would be stupid not to capture that reputation and make a new skyline based on that technology, possibly a stagea too. Simplify it a bit, mass produce everything and THEN you'd have a car that tuners would love. (cheaper too)

It's really comparable to the supercar range. The only real mods that supercars get done to them are paint, wheels, interior and LCD screens everywhere.

I can't see it being cost effective to ship an engine to Australia in less than 5 years, and that's being optimistic. Though, if I'm wrong, and somehow the engines magically become cheaper and more plentiful, I'd love to see one in an R32, of course I would. But as long as the onyl way you can get it is to buy the whole car, why would you?

Forget the GTR engine, I'd like to see the 7.0 V8 from the Z06 running a twin turbo or big single setup in a r32-r34 GT-R.

If it could be adapted to the ATESSA-ETS system, that would be a killer combination!

Close???

Type in 'gt autosound/dls r34 skyline' into www.google.com.au and you will see it. Would post a link but work blocks most of the sites its on. Saw it in Adelaide, it looks pretty nice and makes huge power. Its a drifter, this is proof that people have too much money and/ or are insane.

Edited by harvesteros

• 11 months later...
Forget the GTR engine, I'd like to see the 7.0 V8 from the Z06 running a twin turbo or big single setup in a r32-r34 GT-R.

If it could be adapted to the ATESSA-ETS system, that would be a killer combination!

now your talking!! BULK TORQUE!!

like they say anythings possible with deep enough pockets

back on topic, I think people are confusing the R35 GTR with the Skyline GTR's.

It's not a skyline. It's not a daily driver that's had a magic wand waved over it. It's a (relatively) cheap supercar. It's designed to be a collectors piece from day one. Handmade engines, new technology, advanced driver aids, this isn't a car for the street, it's a car you either tune for racing, or a bauble you brag to your other banker/ footballer friends about owning.

Maybe in five years time, things may change. They may make a more mass produced model, resulting in more cost effectiveness. To be honest, I can't see much profit coming directly from the R35. The price point seems too low for the amount of labour, research, development etc. that went into it, so it seems like it's a hero car, an example of what they can do, more than an attempt at making a supercar for the common man.

due to the low volume, I don't expect it to drop dramatically in price like the skylines. I also don't imagine that there'll be the same amount of aftermarket support, unless the volume of cars produced is upped.

To be fair though, if the R35 lives up to hype, Nissan would be stupid not to capture that reputation and make a new skyline based on that technology, possibly a stagea too. Simplify it a bit, mass produce everything and THEN you'd have a car that tuners would love. (cheaper too)

It's really comparable to the supercar range. The only real mods that supercars get done to them are paint, wheels, interior and LCD screens everywhere.

I can't see it being cost effective to ship an engine to Australia in less than 5 years, and that's being optimistic. Though, if I'm wrong, and somehow the engines magically become cheaper and more plentiful, I'd love to see one in an R32, of course I would. But as long as the onyl way you can get it is to buy the whole car, why would you?

I fully understand your point, but another view may be this: R32 GT-R = Group A racecar, made in numbers to meet homologation requirements. Hardly a daily driver with a magic wand over it, perhaps? Thoughts, anyone?

That said, the 35 is a very, VERY sexy piece of kit. It just doesn't have the racing soul.

From experience over the past few months i can tell you that a brand new Porsche 997 Turbo crate engine from the mother land is gonna cost you $155,000, since the GTR is suppose to be a turbo for half the price, would it be wrong to assume that you would be paying 50-70ish grand for a new crate engine for the GTR?

I fully understand your point, but another view may be this: R32 GT-R = Group A racecar, made in numbers to meet homologation requirements. Hardly a daily driver with a magic wand over it, perhaps? Thoughts, anyone?

That said, the 35 is a very, VERY sexy piece of kit. It just doesn't have the racing soul.

i dunno how much more racing soul you want other than a bespoke design supercar that's designed from the ground up to give the shaft to other supercars. all that compared to a homologation model of a family sedan (C10 GTR thru to R34 GTR)... I'd go as far as saying it had more racing intent than its predecessors.

Its like saying the Falcon has more racing soul than a Ford GT cos it competes in V8 Superbarges.

i dunno how much more racing soul you want other than a bespoke design supercar that's designed from the ground up to give the shaft to other supercars. all that compared to a homologation model of a family sedan (C10 GTR thru to R34 GTR)... I'd go as far as saying it had more racing intent than its predecessors.

Its like saying the Falcon has more racing soul than a Ford GT cos it competes in V8 Superbarges.

Was the 35 designed as a race car first and foremost, and a road car secondly? I've missed something...

Was the 35 designed as a race car first and foremost, and a road car secondly? I've missed something...

NONE of the GTRs were.

PC10 came out before the KPGC10 GTR, R32 GTS came out before the R32 GTR, etc etc. The R32 GTR's design for example was finalised AFTER the R32 GTS had left prototype stage and was about to be produced.

they all took an existing platform and made a race sedan out of it.

The R35's the first GTR that's not based on a sedan... which is why they dropped the Skyline moniker. It was designed to be the stallion in Nissan's stable from the get go. Besides, there's a world of difference between a gutted out rattley stiff suspensioned billion fuel pumps buzzing slick wearing race car and a road going sports car.

there's a world of difference between a gutted out rattley stiff suspensioned billion fuel pumps buzzing slick wearing race car and a road going sports car.

LOL; couldn't agree more! I would much rather the 35 to a highly modded earlier GT-R of any model for road duties, and I'd still pick it over any 'real world' supercar. I can't see any way, even with all the money imaginable, that a Veyron or a Pagani etc would be any more 'liveable', either...although a full carbonfibre Zonda is pretty sexy! So the 35 is still the king dingaling of road cars.

I s'pose I was thinking of the R32's race history, how many races it won that it entered everywhere blah blah blah; I'm assuming the 35 will get raced more and more, but in a different world now where it probably can't match the history only because of rules, regs, events and so on. I think the new car will have a good crack at things, if allowed!

Back on topic; a 'crate' 35 engine would be lost in any other car, regardless of cost, IMHO. Considering what Nissan invested in getting the balance 'just right' as a whole car, we could almost start a thread here about what a top fueller engine would be like in a Skyline...