SAU Community

Transmission Lubricants

Sydneykid

• 1 month later...

Recently changed my manual gearbox oil since the Shockproof that was in there had been there for about 30,000km lol.

About 2.8L came out, replaced with about 3.3L of Syn75.

Immediately felt the difference - I can barely get it into 2nd gear anymore, even when it's warm. Will also crunch/collide on its way from 1st to 2nd, and occasionally from 2nd to 3rd.

SIGH. The next time the oil's changed in this box, it's because it's being rebuilt. Piece of shit. Also disappointed with the oil making gear changes WORSE than when it had 30,000km old Shockproof in it.

Not for the price no, it'd be a gamble. Gearbox was fairly iffy as it was even with shockproof...not dropping $100 worth of syn75 just to see if even more expensive shockproof has the same outcome.

Shit happens really, gearbox was always on it's last legs with the synchros...rebuild when clutch finally lets go (very soon it feels like lol)

Trozzle i had the same problem! I thought i was the only one haha. Had smurfs blood that i thought was old, changed to castrol syntrans or syntrax (the expensive one) and it was shiit. Crunched nearly every gear and was just horrible to dvive. Actually dumped the oil and binned it while putting my old smurfs blood back in which made it all good again!

I wouldn't be surprised if putting the smurf back in would fix mine too, but yeah for the cost I just really couldn't be f**ked dealing with it right now lol...obviously rebuilding the box is significantly more expensive, but she'll be good as new then! I'll just deal with it until then lol

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a noob question. But what does "smurf blood " consist of?

Also, how have people found Motul oil range?

Thinking of doing a full change of all the oils soon. So just trying to get a good idea of the best ones to get

A bit of a noob question. But what does "smurf blood " consist of?

It's a fully synth fluid by Redline, Shockproof Lightweight, effectively a 75w140 gear oil. Uses some special additive to prevent gear crunching (teflon, ptfe who knows)

Personally I only use it because the previous fluid I was using (genuine nissan fluid) had a gear crunch between 3rd and 4th at the track, shockproof lightweight got rid of that crunch.

it's not the castrol oil that is bad, it's your gearbox

not sure what oil was in my r34 gb when i emptied it but it was being a bit of a prick to get into first and second when it was cold.

Replaced it with castrol and it's been silky smooth ever since.

• 1 month later...

Ok So after much reading, I've I'm most likely going with the following for my '96 GTR - What are peoples thoughts?

Gearbox: Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil - 3.8 Liters

Transfer Case: Genuine Nissan Matic-D Transmission Fluid - 2 Liters

Front Diff: Redline Gear Oil GL-5 75w90 - 1 Liter

Rear Diff: Redline Gear Oil GL-5 75w90 - 1.5 Liters

Couple of questions though:

1. I remember reading below mentions "85W-90", but I can only seem to find "85W-140" from Penrite, Redline and Castrol, Is this the same or completely different?

2. Is it ok to use the same 75w90 on the front and rear diff? or would it better to use 80W-90 on front and back?

Quoted earlier in thread:

Front final drive (page CH-125) - Nissan gear oil hypoid GL-5 85W-90 [approx. 1.0 litre]

Rear final drive (page CH-125) - Nissan gear oil hypoid LSD GL-5 80W-90 [approx. 1.5 litres]

I put shockproof light in my front diff (only because i used it in the gearbox), and redline gear oil 75w90 in the factory LSD (didnt want shockproof to tighten up the LSD at low speed)

cheapest for redline oils is from performancelub.com

I put shockproof light in my front diff (only because i used it in the gearbox), and redline gear oil 75w90 in the factory LSD (didnt want shockproof to tighten up the LSD at low speed)

cheapest for redline oils is from performancelub.com

Cheers. I'm not sure if they have the 3.8 liter bottles. I was gonna get it from JustJap for $98 this sat

Copy and paste from earlier in the thread, you will have quite alot of shockproof left over if only doing both diffs:

Front final drive (page CH-125) - Nissan gear oil hypoid GL-5 85W-90 [approx. 1.0 litre]

Rear final drive (page CH-125) - Nissan gear oil hypoid LSD GL-5 80W-90 [approx. 1.5 litres]