SAU Community

Transmission Lubricants

Sydneykid

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there, planning to change all the fluids in my R34, its only been 4500 kms since i bought it and i did an engine oil & filter change after 2000 kms

i've been doing alot of reading, and window shopping for automatic transmission oils, there is alot to choose from, motul has a pretty good one for auto/semi-auto, royal purple also, but castrol transmax Z seems to be the pick around here

just wanted to hear any reasons why this might be aswell as some opinions on which is the best for my 4sp semi-auto gearbox

cheers,

danny

• 1 month later...
decided to go penrite to see how it goes, i used sin 75 in the box, about 3.8 litres went in.

and limslip 90 in the diff, 1.4 came out (some funky purple color), 1.8 went back in.

and a bottle of nulon G90 between em.

the box was really clean as it had a little tiny bit of threat tape on each plug, so i did the same when i put em back in

Theses are the correct volumes for R33 GTST S2. Ignore what the supplier websites say.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Genuine Toyota fluid, Supra has the same 6 speed Getrag (V160).. it's recommended to use the Toyota V160 fluid (http://www.chtoyota.com.au/Parts/?Page=Parts lists is as $43 per 1l), the Getrag box takes automatic transmission fluid, you could if you really wanted to and put aftermarket fluid, just make sure it's a ATF fluid not a gear oil. And stay away from Redline, it apparently has something in it that eats away at one of the seals.

• 3 months later...

Can I fill up an R33 GTST gearbox from the gear stick. I heard I can and its only not do-able in a GTR.

Confirm/Deny anyone?

None the less, I will be getting my gearbox fluid tomorrow(castrol otherwise penrite) and some diff fluid. Might get the Nulon additive.

Just want to avoid buying a pump which doesn't work lol. I don't want to get stranded so to speak and I heard some people buying pumps from SCA/Repco which just wont suck up oil. Maybe I can remove the shifter, fit a hose down through the top of the car into the filler hole, attach a funnel and fill like that....

I'm going to buy some fluid for my box and diff. Castrol VMX looks like good stuff and I'm gonna add the G70. Is the diff easy to fill and drain? If I put a hose through the top filler hole and blow air through it, would that help get all the old oil out?

And does anyone know the torque settings for the necessary bolts? Ill go through this thread again incase its been covered.

Edit: I'm confused here, the R33 GTST has an LSD. Is it best to go for a suited LSD oil?

This is my pickup list for tomorrow:

Castrol VMX M 4 litre

Nulon G70 gearbox treatment

Castrol LSX 90 2x1L.

Am I right to go? Is there any oil I can use to make the diff tighter?

Edited by SargeRX8

Why not just use a hand pump? Might be a good idea to test the pumps out before you dump the oil too. Going through the cabin is just begging for an oil spill.

Can't remember exactly, but isn't it between the lsx90 and lsx130 or something, as the operating temp difference between the two is something like 30 degrees? The g70 can be used in both diff and gearbox too, it's good stuff.

I don't think blowing will help get much more oil out once the bulk has drained. As for torque settings I'm not sure, but don't use loctite or anything like that. Someone did on my old skyline and it caused big problems trying to get it off.

In the diff, do r33's have viscous or contact lsd's? Do they all have lsd's or just some models?

How do I know? Jack the rear up and turn the wheels? I really don't want to put the wrong oil in the diff. I thought all R33 turbos had LSD and some had Active LSD...

Edited by SargeRX8

I know the 34 has a viscous lsd, but i don't think it made a difference in the diff oil choice. There's a letter on the diff number that indicates what type it is, i can't remember what it is though lol. That might only be r34's :S.

If you follow the advice on the castrol website you'll be fine, they seriously cannot afford to have the advice fking peoples cars up and ruining their rep.

• 1 month later...

..can I use:

1-motul gear 300 for the gearbox?

2- castrol syntrax in the diffs?

3- synthetic ATF for transfer case?

Asking cos I have 2bottles each of motul gear 300 and syntrax but from the look of things I should run te syntrax in the box and put the motul in the diffs. Transfercase runs ATF?

• 4 weeks later...