SAU Community

Transmission Lubricants

Sydneykid

not suicide, but not necessary in my opinion either. healthy gearboxes/diffs/xfer cases really aren't that fussy about fluids, especially in day to day use (obviously race use where it gets very hot is a totally different story)

If you have noise it is either the component is not right, or you have very high standards (which may be the case :P)

• 3 weeks later...

hi fellas, can someone plz tell me the oil capacity for my gtr 32. engine wih new filter??(i bought 5 ltrs of royal purple today is that enough?) and 5 speed gearbox oil capacity?? also is redline oil the best for the box. thanks

hi fellas, can someone plz tell me the oil capacity for my gtr 32. engine wih new filter??(i bought 5 ltrs of royal purple today is that enough?) and 5 speed gearbox oil capacity?? also is redline oil the best for the box. thanks

Just had mine done........

Engine oil supposedly takes 4.6 litres but my mechanic said it nearly took all 5 litres.

Gearbox is around 4.1 lites but the trick there is to fill it until you think its full, leave it for 30 minutes and then fill again.

Apparently you get a fair bit more in that way..

Redline lightweight shockproof is great..... I played around with different options but came to the conclusion that it is the best stuff for our cars.

Cheers.........

Bob.

Just had mine done........

Engine oil supposedly takes 4.6 litres but my mechanic said it nearly took all 5 litres.

Gearbox is around 4.1 lites but the trick there is to fill it until you think its full, leave it for 30 minutes and then fill again.

Apparently you get a fair bit more in that way..

Redline lightweight shockproof is great..... I played around with different options but came to the conclusion that it is the best stuff for our cars.

Cheers.........

Bob.

hey bob, thanks for that mate. and good to know about the gearbox trick. thanks jim

If being tracked, consider overfilling to 6 to 6.5L. Only put redline shockproof in if the box has existing crunching problems, otherwise Motul, Royal Purple or Redline (non-shockproof) are recommended.

If being tracked, consider overfilling to 6 to 6.5L. Only put redline shockproof in if the box has existing crunching problems, otherwise Motul, Royal Purple or Redline (non-shockproof) are recommended.

hey mate. doesnt over filling oil capacity make oil piss out ya front n rear mains?? im curious about this :)

A rear main will blow when the oil hits the crank and foams up which in turn cranks up the crankhouse pressure. At the 6L mark on a GTR sump, the oil is nowhere near the crank. Maybe 6.5L+ is enough for the oil to be at that level to hit it, otherwise nothing wrong with only putting 4.5L in as the service manual recommends, but anyone who takes their car to the track will overfill.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol feel like a lightweight with my r32 gtst rb20det compared to the gtrs here. This thread has seen many years...

I have redline lightweight shockproof (smurf's blood) in diff and gearbox (there weren't any issues with gearbox in the first place but wanted to try it). Not sure what the previous owner had in the car but replaced with redline. Wanted all synthetic. Changed to mechanical (and noisy) OS Giken 1.5way and smurf blood takes a while to warm up. On the track after a few figure 8s and laps suddenly no noise and everything is very nice but bit slippery. On the road, I just have to live with the noise when going around a corner (yes it is that noisy and noticeable by pedestrians). Someone recommended Penrite limslip 140 (don't think it is synthetic) or similar for a heavier fluid to reduce noise. Also, I never put any modifiers or treatments like I see on this thread - how is this important? Does brand mixing matter when using modifiers etc?

Engine was 10W40 (may try other brand or 15w50 next for a hotter climate up north here - may be overkill since I only do some track events and slowly increasing time spent on track).

Wanting to change out all oils with some good reputation ones..brake fluid (someone mentioned motul 600), power steering etc. Any recommendations?

And breathe........

• 1 month later...

Hey guys sorry to ask as it may have been covered but I couldnt find it I might have skipped it, but I have a r34 gtt 2000 model with 70000kms on the clock now, I've been wanting to change the gearbox and diff oil since I imported it but never got any time to search around and see whats recommended and to get around to doing it.

Now recently the gearbox has started to get a little noisy when driving, selects fine though, although 2nd is abit of a pain when cold, what would you recommend as the best oil to put in it?

As for the diff, I'm not 100% sure but they are an LSD item correct? well a few times when I punch it kind of pulls a 1 legger, whats the best oil to put into the diff?

The car is a daily, gets driven like its stolen a quite bit and an occasional track day.

Ohh and if it's not too much of a hassle the amounts of fluid and a good place to buy it from in Sydney.

[EDIT] I'm not sure if it matters but it has a short throw shifter installed and has around 250rwkw.

Thank you for any help in advance, thanks.

Edited by MrRx7s3

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I also would not use redline in the gearbox unless you have noticed some crunching from the synchros. If the gearbox is fine just use a regular gearbox oil. The redline formula was changed in the last 2 years and it now breathes significantly from the box leading to lots of leaks/overflow/top ups even if the box is filled to the correct level. Also redline do not recommend it for gearboxes with synchros.

This would probably explain why my car smells like gearbox oil after a couple of hours on the highway? I Put Shockproof light weight in the gear box when i changed the clutch. The crunch 5>4 is now gone though.

• 6 months later...

I'm thinking its about time to change the gearbox oil on the Stagea, its 33 GTR box if that makes a difference

Anyone want to recommend me an oil weight?

I think i'll avoid the Redline for the time being, might look into the Nulon or Penrite stuff

My gearbox and diff are way overdue for an oil change just because I can't figure out what oil to put in it or make my mind up haha lol, what would use recommend? also its starting to kick 1 leggers here and there because I have a small oil leak on my diff and Im guessing that it might be doing it because its low on oil, its a r34 GTT series 2 2001 model manual with 70000kms, 220rwkw, its mainly a daily car but it gets quite a pounding, please let me know asap, thanks.

redline lightweight shockproof aka smurf blood for the gearbox, not too sure about using the same for the differential. Read a couple of mixed reviews that it makes it kinda slippery :O anyone care to correct?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bottle of Neo 75w90 and am thinking of putting it in box and riffs of my R33 GTST; 260kw and 210,000km. Anyone use this in nissans before?

I use this in my Subaru and love the oil. Also used redline but I prefer Neo. Just want to know is this a good oil weight or should I go 80w90? It's 4L for the gearbox and 1L for the diff right?

• 1 month later...

I've been looking in to the R33 GTST 5 speed manual gearbox oil level. On here most people fill to the fill plug until oil comes out which is about 3.8 litres. Seems like the correct level. My fill plug is so tight I couldn't get it out so I filled through the shifter which is much easier, but you have to measure the exact amount.

Now here's where it gets interesting.

On the Valvoline, Castrol and Penrite websites they all state 2.8 litres as the capacity for the R33 GTST manual gearbox. I assume they must've got this from Nissan. I think I'll put in 3.8 not 2.8 like it says on their websites. They also state 1.3 litres for the diff which is the same as filling to the fill plug, I measured it when I did my diff, 1.3 litres exactly. For the R34 GT and GTT manual no capacity is mentioned at all. For the R33 GTR they say 4.1 and refer to dealer for the R34 GTR.

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/valv_auMS/default.asp

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/default.asp

http://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenriteAus/

• 4 weeks later...

Currently refilling all the fluids in my race car as it's been sitting dormant for a few years. Just trying to work out quantities and fluid choice:

Engine Oil: I have a hi-octane extended sump, so I imagine I need about 10L?

Diffs: I have 4L of smurfs blood ready to go

gearbox: I guess I need about 4L? What do you guys recommend? Gearbox sounded healthy last time I checked.

transfer case: don't think i've ever changed the fluid in this. Castrol Transmax Z appears to be the way to go. how much do I need?

Am I missing anything?

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping this is right place to ask. R34 25GT freshish into the country. (May this year) Gearbox is a tad notchy and possibly low on oil. Supposedly had a service when it was complianced but doubt that they did gearbox or even checked it. I have a full 4 litres of Nulon Smoothshift 75w90 that I had purchased for ex missus Corolla. Nulon site recommends Smoothshift 75w85 full synthetic. Thoughts comments please before I drain and refill. Am thinking it should be fine but value your collective opinions. Car by the way does not get thrashed or otherwise (its ony n/a after all).

Regards Neil