SAU Community

Rb29 Wow!

RPMGTR

I know one thing for sure. The car has the best inner guards ever ! They alone make it the best GTR in the country :P (seriously, they are trick)

A vote for AUSSIE ENGINEERING!!!!

borland_les.jpg

Actually, this car is a pin up for a locally developed GTR. Velo seats, Harrop brakes, V8 Supercar rear wing when at the track....there seems to be a trend to stay away from the normal Japanese parts bin?!?!?!?!?!?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know one thing for sure. The car has the best inner guards ever ! They alone make it the best GTR in the country :P (seriously, they are trick)

A vote for AUSSIE ENGINEERING!!!!

borland_les.jpg

Actually, this car is a pin up for a locally developed GTR. Velo seats, Harrop brakes, V8 Supercar rear wing when at the track....there seems to be a trend to stay away from the normal Japanese parts bin?!?!?!?!?!?

another good one Roy...time after time Croydon's have been sent cars from XXXX (insert well known japanese tuning house) by Autostyle and a few other importers.... only for them to be not only poorly set-up but tuned like a dogs breky. People please take a good note of what has been said here. Yes the Japanese do things well, but just because XXXX has built the car does not mean its the perfect car. In most instances...far from it. A handful of Aussie tuners/builders can do it better than them...id match Racepace/Croydon/Godzilla/Berry-Newman teams against most of what Japan has to offer. We already proved this 15 years ago when Gibson Motorsport was the world leader. Nismo asked them not to bring their cars over to Japan to compete due to the fear of being humiliated.

Torque graph Ben ?

Nice work Gary. I'm pretty sure a lot of that is wrong though. Except for the last bit.

But then the only person who really knows is the big fella. Even then I'm not 100% convinced he even remembers what has been done. Because every time he's done something to the car I've returned to find he's pulled it all apart again. LOL

There are only a few options to achieving 2.95 litres, you are limited in the bore size. Being 86 mm standard, 86.5 mm oversize, normally used for ensuring straight and parrallel bores and 87 mm about as big as you want to go. Although there are few alive at 87.5 mm, but that an unnecessary risk that I wouldn't take. From there the stroke is easy to work out, simple high school maths. Once you know the stroke and that it has an RB26 block (tall or short), then the rod length is again a simple subtraction. Getting short custom rods made is expensive and unnecessary as you can more easily and cheaply select the gudgeon pin height. Such that the piston doesn't hit the spark plug. Plus the rod stroke ratio is pretty terrible anyway and shorter rods would just make it worse. Up to here it's just mathematics, the camshaft timing is the real tricky part, it depends on the valve sizes and porting, So my guess (272/280) is simply based on what my past RB30DET power curves look like, hence it is a 100% guess.

Lots of fun for all

Cheers

Gary

There are only a few options to achieving 2.95 litres, you are limited in the bore size. Being 86 mm standard, 86.5 mm oversize, normally used for ensuring straight and parrallel bores and 87 mm about as big as you want to go. Although there are few alive at 87.5 mm, but that an unnecessary risk that I wouldn't take. From there the stroke is easy to work out, simple high school maths. Once you know the stroke and that it has an RB26 block (tall or short), then the rod length is again a simple subtraction. Getting short custom rods made is expensive and unnecessary as you can more easily and cheaply select the gudgeon pin height. Such that the piston doesn't hit the spark plug. Plus the rod stroke ratio is pretty terrible anyway and shorter rods would just make it worse. Up to here it's just mathematics, the camshaft timing is the real tricky part, it depends on the valve sizes and porting, So my guess (272/280) is simply based on what my past RB30DET power curves look like, hence it is a 100% guess.

Lots of fun for all

Cheers

Gary

I reckon you have almost got it sussed...except for the turbo's...even a 2.9 wont bring RS's on like that. Gav's 2.8 is proof of that.

I reckon you have almost got it sussed...except for the turbo's...even a 2.9 wont bring RS's on like that. Gav's 2.8 is proof of that.

they may with some clever head work/manifolding

im with SK on this one, i cant see it being RB30 based, i rkn RB26 block with a mix-n-match storker kit, with at least one of the 3 components being custom, most lilely pistons or rods. cams would be big, my guess would be around the 256/64 mark, a little smaller than what SK said but with a smooth 900rpm idle, even with the ebst tuning getting cams like that to idle at 900 would be a stretch (i think so anyway, i have nowhere near the experience of SK)

i reckon all that low down power and torque is from manifolding and headwork, thats the 'secret' area.

so is this gonna be revealed at all anyway, or are we just stabbing in the dark for no reason? c'mon.... at least give us a hint? tell us whose closest to the real deal? please...... :rofl:

Edited by VB-

Hey guys,

I really don't mind sharing the shortblock specs, as I'm fairly sure I've posted details on here a while back.

Bore is 86mm

Stroke is 84mm

Rods are SR20

Its a liner/spacer-plate RB26 block (ala OS RB30), 20mm taller than std.

cheers,

Ben

Hey guys,

I really don't mind sharing the shortblock specs, as I'm fairly sure I've posted details on here a while back.

Bore is 86mm

Stroke is 84mm

Rods are SR20

cheers,

Ben

Im amazed there is an 86mm bore RB26 block left in the country :rofl:

Soooooooooo............. About that move to Sydney :rofl::P

You know, your money is good in Melbourne as well, send your car down here. Because if Ben moves that means I have to as well!!

Haha - that was the bit I knew. (Sorry Gary but it wasn't my place to say exactly what was wrong).

I also know what the turbo's are unless he changed them again and they aren't GT-RS (although he did test them I'm pretty sure).

The one thing I've found with Ben is you take what you think you know to be right and discard it because he seems to get great results by doing things completely different to everyone else.

:) ummm steve. spun bearing.... oily car. remember that day...... teeheee.

lol yeah i remember, but i got back out there as the bearing hadnt quite spun yet :banana:

In the end it didnt spin anyway ;)

I thought you would remind me of that day

I know one thing for sure. The car has the best inner guards ever ! They alone make it the best GTR in the country :D (seriously, they are trick)

Pics/details please?

Garrett -10's?