SAU Community

What Have You Found To Be The Best Street Slicks?

gb33

i found a whiteline rear camber kit on ebay an im gonna give it a shot an see if a can get any better traction, but i dont fully understand how the kit works could you give me a rundown?

Instructions are in the kit.

Cheers

Gary

I used to drive around on semi's all day and every day.

they are legal for on the road as far as i'm aware, as they are dot approved,

in the wet, it was often hard to lose traction in a 450hp gtr And in the dry... forget about spinning your wheels anywhere, even 7000rpm launches all you got was stick.

Now the bad points,

They will be alot harder on your drivetran, you could possibly even break things, your diff is going to get a worn out alot quicker and the tyres themselves dont quiet last that long..

this was bridgestone re55s or similar.

dot approved is american

we are adr approved

I used Toyo Ra1's which are a excelent tyre for the street but yeah expensive, $400+. Similiar tyre i beleive to the Re55. Traction was great, didnt need to much warmth, and produced good Et's on the strip.

Negatives where noisy, picked up stones, wear too quickly etc. Positives, traction traction and more traction, gripped like a 4wd. Now im trying falkens RT615, definately not as good, but where a cheaper option..

personally i have used a few tyres on the street i have a set of toyo proxies 4 on my car atm and am very happy with them for the price they seem to perform well in the wet and in the dry but they may as well be made outta concrete compared to the toyo proxies r888 i have had on my car (very exspensive semi slick) they worked unbelivably well in the dry at very low temp and at very high temps and as for the wet that is where i think the big difference comes in, i used them on a very wet road one night having a bit of fun with a mate in similar cars, but i have bout twice the power of him i was only just loosing tracion in 2nd gear and had no understeer at all and soon could not see him behind, he said could not get the power down and was understeering like mad(he had the proxies 4 on his car) we have since done simliar things in similar conditions and now that my car has road tyres on it we are about the same pace. after all the only part of your car that touchs the road is the tyres. but after all that they do wear out very quikly and cost a lot of money but they are definatly worth it for performance driving and if the wet is the only thing stopping you then get them lol

I wouldnt say NEVER run a semi slick on the road. Yes you do need to be careful if the tyres are cold and more so if the roads are cold due to a cold day, but once youve driven a bit the tires do get enough heat in them to perform well, and from there if your driving spirited you reap the benefits of the extra grip.

I ran re55's all round and loved them, but i did have one bad understeer event due to an afforementioned cold condition.

Of course if your daily driving it then theres not much point, but if you have lots of power and like to go for a good hard drive more than once in a while then they are awesome.

As far as stiff sidewalls, noisy, and harsh ride goes, well for me these things are not a concern, how it goes/handles/stops takes priority.

Try them once and determine for yourself, just get a feel for how long it takes to warm them up. Take it out on a warm sunny day and a gentle drive on the hot tarmac will heat em up no worries.

Very high road noise..

Scary as F*ck in the wet..

High cost..

They wear down quite quickly..

But at the right time and place.. it all makes sence.. Their just brillient to drive on!

Getting tyre press is also key in the way they handle. Pressures can be quite hard to get right aswell.. alot of trial and error..

Edited by GTS4WD

dot approved is american

we are adr approved

This is a good point...

"DOT" (Department of Transport) is American, this is the industry standard for tyres in the USA... If a tyre has been developed for sale in America and has been approved by DOT then it is legal for U.S roads.

You may also see "E-MARK" on a tyre sidewall, this is the equivalent of DOT in Europe.

"ADR" (Australian Design Rule) is obviously Australian, however ADR's do not apply to aftermarket tyres sold in Australia, there is no industry standard or method of pre-sale testing here, therefore as long as a tyre that is sold in Australia complies to the load and speed index recommended by the vehicle manufacturer it can be used legally on our roads.

The reason that DOT and UTQG are so important is so that you know that the tyre you are buying has been both US Government and independantly tested and approved for American roads, this gives you the best indication as to whether you are buying a quality tyre or not.

If you have bought a tyre that does not have DOT, UTQG or E-MARK printed on the sidewall then you know that it cannot be sold for legal road use in the USA and possibly even Europe.

Overall youre best off sticking to tyres that have a DOT and UTQG rating. :D

Don't use semi slicks on the road.

Why?

Because they are, in no particular order:

Noisy.

Stiff in the sidewalls which gives you a harsh ride.

Expensive.

Short lived.

Pick up every stone etc on the road & fire it into your paint.

And, um oh yeah A WASTE OF MONEY

A semi slick needs temperature to generate its grip properly. Other than driving like a complete fkwit on the road you will not generate these temperatures.

So you will never get the gain out of the tyre you wanted.

Just go and buy some good road tyres.

lol wel lucky for me i drive like a complete fkwit....

running Toyo RA1's discontinued, great semi slick n good all rounder...

neovas are semi slicks??

are u serious?? i didnt know that.. no wonder ive got massive traction even thou ive got 300awkw and now i can explain my mates awesome launches in his s15... he can out launch an sti and almost a evo 8 MR lolol

fkn neovas how much r they worth?? i need some

and no.. pilot sports are shit fkn tyres. had those on my rx7 in 275/35/18 trim... no traction

i ended up gettin some Eagle something tyres.. like 700 each.. those had mass traction :D