SAU Community

Petrol Price Has Gone Through The Roof!

gazal

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tax on petrol/oil whatever, isnt a set price its a % so of course the amount that the govt takes goes up... but it also goes down when petrol goes down etc. The % rate is rediculously high compared to other developed countries... but why would the govt cut one of their bigger cash cows?

While I agree with the above, in reality it would be too confusing to introduce a sliding scale of the gov % cut. What really pi$$es me off about the taxes on the petrol is the tax on tax situation. Fuel comes into the country and the gov adds import duty (not called that but effectively the same)...then the gov adds a further 'gst' tax on it. Of course they don't charge the 'gst' tax on the cost that it came into the country with but the cost + the import duty...hence the tax on a tax.

All this talk of watchdogs etc is BS when there is an obvious way to reduce the price of petrol at the pump :)

While I agree with the above, in reality it would be too confusing to introduce a sliding scale of the gov % cut. What really pi$$es me off about the taxes on the petrol is the tax on tax situation. Fuel comes into the country and the gov adds import duty (not called that but effectively the same)...then the gov adds a further 'gst' tax on it. Of course they don't charge the 'gst' tax on the cost that it came into the country with but the cost + the import duty...hence the tax on a tax.

All this talk of watchdogs etc is BS when there is an obvious way to reduce the price of petrol at the pump :rant:

I agree Anth, the gov was suppose to step in at 1.00 per litre, now we are 1.50. When r they jumping in? The so called watchdog must be sniffing their own ass. Because they certainly not helping any1 but them selves. I also watched go from 1.38-1.58 overnight because the barrel price..

It's big BS.. :rant::):rofl:

Who cares about fuel prices. If you dnt all get your younger brothers and sisters in line with their binge drinking they are going to up the taxes on my alcohol! I can handle high fuel prices if beer is cheap, thankfully i dont smoke. If fuel and beer get too expensive for me then i am going to have to raid my housemates gun cabinet and take my protests to the soon to be bloody streets !

we '' import owners'' have to pay ALOT of stupid prices, for the cars we love (engine oil, spark plugs, tires) an petrol is just one of them

yea i am pissed!! but what can you do???.... sweet sweet fark all

i am a import junkie, these are the prices i have to pay to feed my addiction

sell up?? an buy a HYUNDAI ELANTRA?? an join elantrasAUSTRALIA.com?

i am a import junkie, these are the prices i have to pay to feed my addiction

Yeah, drug addiction seems cheaper these days :rofl:

sell up?? an buy a HYUNDAI ELANTRA?? an join elantrasAUSTRALIA.com?

OMG! Sign me up!

Who cares about fuel prices. If you dnt all get your younger brothers and sisters in line with their binge drinking they are going to up the taxes on my alcohol! I can handle high fuel prices if beer is cheap, thankfully i dont smoke. If fuel and beer get too expensive for me then i am going to have to raid my housemates gun cabinet and take my protests to the soon to be bloody streets !

ahahahaha... half of my family almost run riot last time they upped the tax on alcohol and slabs went from $24-$34...

All this talk of watchdogs etc is BS when there is an obvious way to reduce the price of petrol at the pump :rofl:

no no... i meant its a SET % but when the price of oil etc goes up then obviously the govt get more cash at the same % rate and its also vice versa which means they were almost right in what they said...

last i heard if there was no tax on it at all we would be currently paying around .80c a litre.

Get used to it people.

The price of energy will continue to rise for the forseeable future.

It is THE ONLY way to convince people to reduce their energy consumption.

So don't believe any politician who says he is going to fix it - because the high prices are a cash cow for governments of all persuasions and because it dove tails with their other CO2 reduction objectives.

You know what they say. The rich gets richer & the poor gets poorer

Add to the fact our dollar is stronger, but you never see that passed on (not just in fuel) from manufacturers EVER.

Prices go up, and they are paying less just increasing thier margins

Get used to it people.

The price of energy will continue to rise for the forseeable future.

It is THE ONLY way to convince people to reduce their energy consumption.

So don't believe any politician who says he is going to fix it - because the high prices are a cash cow for governments of all persuasions and because it dove tails with their other CO2 reduction objectives.

No way known this is about reducing energy consumption, that's a load of BS. It's ALL about the $ and always will be, buisnessmen run the world, just look at the worlds reserve banks, all privatly owned entities. As they say, momey talks :P

No way known this is about reducing energy consumption, that's a load of BS. It's ALL about the $ and always will be, buisnessmen run the world, just look at the worlds reserve banks, all privatly owned entities. As they say, momey talks :D

I am not saying this price rise is aimed at reducing energy consumption. I am saying that higher energy prices will be a component in reducing energy consumption (Or reducing CO2 emissions, not quite the same thing) in the longer term. Hence people need to expect prices to continue to rise. Not just petrol either, electricity & gas too.

Oh and first I heard that our reserve bank was privately owned. :P

im not complaining yet,where i come from in the uk(shetland islands) the petrol price is around $3 a litre for standard petrol,they dont even have super unleaded,i used to have a Gtir and i could only use it at weekends and had to buy octane booster for it,i used a starlet turbo for weekly driving.its rare to get a car over 2 litre there,i wont be complaining until it hits $2 a litre here(couple of weeks time)

yes well you drink ur fuel after a long run and see how far u get...

i drink water when i run... not fuel :S

i was mearly observant of the fact that fuel is cheaper than water. when i run (which isnt often) ill drink water... dont be angry, be happy! (please refer to my sunshine and lolly pops thread)