SAU Community

Building An Rb26 For Response....

My 34 pulls from about 2400rpm progressively to about 3500 where all hell brakes loose

Boost is throttle dependent so if you don't touch the floor with the loud pedal it will be very drive able and the earlier it spools the less fuel it will use, would live to see back to back 2.6 v 3.2

I will add though while it is apart get a set of the Unigroup 260 x 10.8 cams fitted, or at least get the head relieved to allow bigger cams later on

I am not a purest and you seem to be and I have no problem with that.

I have been bombarded for year how good the Rs were, I bought one and because the build was in mid stream, it was a heap of shit and I want to have it the way I thought it would be, yes my fault for not going and driving a standard R34GTR to see what they were like, but what is, is!

If you are so against what I want to achieve with my build, how come your car has mods , not happy with it?

I honestly think if you had if driven a standard one first you probably would have bought a different one, but as you said it is what it is

But yes with bigger engine you won't be using anywhere near the amount of throttle you currently are and so it will drive very nicely and as soon as you want it, it will be there

Pete, your main focus should be on putting the right work into the 3.2lt core. Everything else that is a bolt on can be changed after the engine is installed easily, so save your pennies for the moment in that regard. You will also find the results of back-back testing your old hardware on new engine very interesting (as will everyone else).

So, get the bottom end built correctly. Port your head, and get some oversize valves in it with some decent springs. It is wise to decide on the camshaft choice at this stage too, as its a lot easier to shim the cam on the bench than on an engine in a car. Especially given the height increase of an RB30, getting the cam covers off can be a bitch.

I really recommend keeping your 6266 on the 3.2lt. If you find its too responsive you can always change that easily later, or just learn to adjust your driving habits. I think you will find it to be exactly what your after though.

It will be making light boost below 2000 rpm, and be fully on by around 3200-3400 rpm. It will essentially drive like a 7lt V8. Power drop off in top end will not be an issue if your head is properly ported to match the setup. This is essentially what I see with the 6466 on the 3.4lt. At any revs over 3000 rpm its a monster.

If you are so against what I want to achieve with my build, how come your car has mods , not happy with it?

Lol, I assume you are talking to me, not Mick?

I make my living off car mods, I have nothing against you, your car, or anyone elses build. I just wish you would realise that you are in the wrong thread, the RB30 thread is up there. ^^ If you were planning a 2.9 stroker, different story.

My car still has the stock engine, and my goal is to see what it can make with stock internals, and to further the development on what is a very rare Nissan turbo engine.

Stories

I had a well sorted Black 32GTS-t. Awesomeness the day I stepped into it :woot:

Decided If this is what the little one can do then I want the big brother GTR

Was disappointed a lot. Wanted to sell the GTR but it blew up first :( . - twice, lol

After a number of years rebuilding etc... I absolutely :wub: it !

Just saying I hear where your coming from Pete. Sometimes hype sets unrealistic expectations.

You really have to build what you want.

Lol, I assume you are talking to me, not Mick?

I make my living off car mods, I have nothing against you, your car, or anyone elses build. I just wish you would realise that you are in the wrong thread, the RB30 thread is up there. ^^ If you were planning a 2.9 stroker, different story.

My car still has the stock engine, and my goal is to see what it can make with stock internals, and to further the development on what is a very rare Nissan turbo engine.

Hi Scotty, yes I was talking to you and you are lucky you know what you are talking about.

The only reason I am on this thread is because it was the only place I could find someone to get some help with what I am building.

It is my first time really modifying a car and I needed all the help I could get, and I do from some of the guys and appreciate it very much.

I had a certain image about the Rs, unfortunately it does not suit what I want from a car, so the 3.2L is something that will give me what I am after and then I can sell the 350GT.

But I still say it is a R34GTR Skyline and I will leave any reference as it being a BNR26 out :)

Stories

Was disappointed a lot.

i remember doing this as well! I could only afford one car at the time and using the gtst for daily duties was so much nicer then using the Gtr

I guarantee if you start your own thread you will get all the help you need.

It's a shame to drag threads off topic. Even though it pretty much always happens.

Edited by Ben C34

Pete, your main focus should be on putting the right work into the 3.2lt core. Everything else that is a bolt on can be changed after the engine is installed easily, so save your pennies for the moment in that regard. You will also find the results of back-back testing your old hardware on new engine very interesting (as will everyone else).

So, get the bottom end built correctly. Port your head, and get some oversize valves in it with some decent springs. It is wise to decide on the camshaft choice at this stage too, as its a lot easier to shim the cam on the bench than on an engine in a car. Especially given the height increase of an RB30, getting the cam covers off can be a bitch.

I really recommend keeping your 6266 on the 3.2lt. If you find its too responsive you can always change that easily later, or just learn to adjust your driving habits. I think you will find it to be exactly what your after though.

It will be making light boost below 2000 rpm, and be fully on by around 3200-3400 rpm. It will essentially drive like a 7lt V8. Power drop off in top end will not be an issue if your head is properly ported to match the setup. This is essentially what I see with the 6466 on the 3.4lt. At any revs over 3000 rpm its a monster.

Hi, I have made most of those points with CRD and we will do most of them, thanks

The Turbo is a PT6262 and maybe that will kick in too early?

Stories

Was disappointed a lot. Wanted to sell the GTR but it blew up first :( . - twice, lol

After a number of years rebuilding etc... I absolutely :wub: it !

Just saying I hear where your coming from Pete. Sometimes hype sets unrealistic expectations.

You really have to build what you want.

Yeh mate, only here for a short time and I do not want to leave without doing shit loads of things, all good :)

CRD = Time + Money. Lots and lots of both.

Results are good.

good luck

Just had a long lunch with too much red, yummy

Well, I have NO idea how to do motor work myself and if I did my back would say PO, I have to trust the experts, well with a little home work and help from you blokes.

I have members that have PM me from SAU that have been guiding me through the process and from the results, it has been pretty good so far as the shitty car has turned into a good car and now I want it to turn into MY car..

I have the time and the $ to do what I want, so I guess I have been chasing the best way to get there so I can enjoy the results.

The thing I do not understand is why some members on some forums want to shit on your dreams because it does not fit into theirs,or their idea of what an, R32 ,33,34 is in 2014, F not many cars can cop the attention the Godzilla created, so never shit on others dreams, so knockers, FO :)

UP THE BLUES :)> :)

Who is knocking you?

They are pointing out potential issues to help you out.

Oh,

Start your own build thread rather than dragging this one way off topic ;)

People will be happy to help and answer all your questions in there.

This thread can then get back to the original topic of making an rb26 responsive.

Edited by Ben C34

My 34 pulls from about 2400rpm progressively to about 3500 where all hell brakes loose

Boost is throttle dependent so if you don't touch the floor with the loud pedal it will be very drive able and the earlier it spools the less fuel it will use, would live to see back to back 2.6 v 3.2

I will add though while it is apart get a set of the Unigroup 260 x 10.8 cams fitted, or at least get the head relieved to allow bigger cams later on

Thanks Mick,

But is it OK in city driving?

Going slow mine starts just under 3k now and you can hear the turbo start working, at 3.5 ish I can push down and off it goes, gotta luvit:)

I am using all of the helpful info and asking the questions to the builders, they responds to the questions. So have it all in black and white so there in no misunderstandings what I want my car to do .

I would like to thank you blokes as I have been on a tight/expensive learning curve and I think there is plenty to come :/

I am having a ball :wub:

I want to be able to drive on the freeway at steady 110kph without the turbo helping., can you do this

Cheers

Pete

How to have a responsive rb26...... Mmm let me see.. umm I think I might have read it somewhere....

I think it went something like this....

-7s e85

...can someone please confirm this, I am confused listening to all the strokers.

Who is knocking you?

They are pointing out potential issues to help you out.

Oh,

Start your own build thread rather than dragging this one way off topic ;)

People will be happy to help and answer all your questions in there.

This thread can then get back to the original topic of making an rb26 responsive.

HI Ben, are you talking to me?

I have no problem with help and that is why I am here, had some great help and some from you.

From what you said, once you change any RB26 motor parts you are no longer allowed to be on this thread, I would suggest that most blokes reading this will have to close their eyes and pretend they did not read that.

Scotty said to start my own thread as I am no longer in the RB26 club as I am having a RB30 shoved in the RB26 space and should start a Skyline thread, shit probably a good idea except I do not know enough and will admit it.So my R34GTR is no longer a RB26, maybe right, but I could not find help on other threads.

Ben , I have had so much help it is not funny, most on PM, if I get stirred because of my lack of knowledge, no problem and all in fun for me, it is hard not to have a go back tongue in cheek as that is all the ammo I have , shit it is just a car and I want to make it into something I want to drive, someone wants to keep it in their garage 45 weeks a year, fn good for them, I want to drive mine as much as I can, I am the winner, do not have to do 10sec, but to get to woollies under 9, come on, lovum but just a car :worship:

Lol why 7's? Throw them in the bin! -9's for the win im sorry! Same response more power!

How to have a responsive rb26...... Mmm let me see.. umm I think I might have read it somewhere....

I think it went something like this....

-7s e85

...can someone please confirm this, I am confused listening to all the strokers.

Lol why 7's? Throw them in the bin! -9's for the win im sorry! Same response more power!

Done. Good idea I heard that too somewhere in these forums but I forgot, too confused atm, damn strokers!

:D