SAU Community

Building An Rb26 For Response....

Pete you contradict yourself with wanting to keep costs down then want to build a stroker. Thats crazy! A better flowing exhaust will net you at least 200-300rpm of response depending on HOW restrictive your current exhaust is. If the 333kw sheet is the 6262 result. That turbo has not even woken up yet turn up the boost and you will get more torque and a beefier midrange! Hell even adding a V cam would be cheaper than building a stroker which would probably yield you another modest 200- 300rpm of response. What boost control are you running? How well is it setup? Different cams would also help response and midrange power and shift your power curve to the left which is seemingly where you want it. Are you running a twin scroll twin wastegate setup on the turbo? What size is the rear housing? Alot of factors could help improve torque and response of your current setup without going to that extreme. Optimize what you have 1st before emptying your wallet into Jims account to build you a stroker. :)

Feel free to PM me to answer my questions if you like.

At the end of the day a 3.2 will obviously make more torque but in my opinion your setup sounds as though its got some bugs which need ironing out 1st so sort them out and look at the above mentioned things and I dare say you will be happy with your current setup once its all running in harmony with a nice efficient setup.

Edited by Mick_o

I might be a crazy party pooper but what has ported heads, aftermarket cams, large turbos and RB26 got to do with response?

Surely, stock cams, -9's, dialed cam gears and E85 is about all there is to it?

Unfortunately I have never driven another R34GTR, I bought this car because I liked the look and there has always been a shat load of hype for the R3s. The car had a T78-33D on it, motor had the internals mods and it was the worst car I have ever driven, a laggy gutless heap , unless you took it to 7 to 8k and launched it and your head nearly fell off

I was disappointed but tried to get some answers and that is why I ended up here on SAU and started to get the car more drivable as a DD.

I still do not know a lot but I know the changes I have made up to date has made the car 10 times better as a DD and a 5.5K launch gets it going without lag 7k is just wasting the energy but fun.

I wanted a smoother power band that keeps going and I think from what I have read and been told this is a pretty good way to do it and will give me a very tough street car that wont go pop if you work it hard, well I hope :)

Well 8k does not work that well on the street its not a good look, while you lag around all over the place :) I have street tyres 255/40/18 and the only time I can have a good go at it is on a friends private Rd.

I did an 8k launch after the changes and all wheels spinning and still spinning in 2nd,( I was a bit slow at hitting 2nd :( ) whats the good of that when you can get a bit of spin around 6k, bite and take off without lag,I would be 100mtr down the road while I would be just smoking it up, I thought that finding that sweet spot for your car to launch was what it is all about?

When I have the changes done I expect I can do the same launch at 5k and love it, but I do not know anything about track/drag and I am probably wrong as I am just getting into my car, but I like it my way :)

Pete you contradict yourself with wanting to keep costs down then want to build a stroker. Thats crazy! A better flowing exhaust will net you at least 200-300rpm of response depending on HOW restrictive your current exhaust is. If the 333kw sheet is the 6262 result. That turbo has not even woken up yet turn up the boost and you will get more torque and a beefier midrange! Hell even adding a V cam would be cheaper than building a stroker which would probably yield you another modest 200- 300rpm of response. What boost control are you running? How well is it setup? Different cams would also help response and midrange power and shift your power curve to the left which is seemingly where you want it. Are you running a twin scroll twin wastegate setup on the turbo? What size is the rear housing? Alot of factors could help improve torque and response of your current setup without going to that extreme. Optimize what you have 1st before emptying your wallet into Jims account to build you a stroker. :)

Feel free to PM me to answer my questions if you like.

At the end of the day a 3.2 will obviously make more torque but in my opinion your setup sounds as though its got some bugs which need ironing out 1st so sort them out and look at the above mentioned things and I dare say you will be happy with your current setup once its all running in harmony with a nice efficient setup.

Thanks Mick, Dynos are with the T78 that was on it when I bought the car, had to put the boost controller on to get it tuned, then with PT6262 and custom exhaust. Different car to drive..

It is 345awkw now and good to drive as a DD and I want more response. The 6262 kicks in about 3.5k.

Parts , HKS EVC 6 Electronic Boost controller , custom 3.5 inch exhaust, PT6262B , poncams B, Modified engine internals, Haltech ECU, 2-way LSD, OS Quad clutch, water, oil etc modified, walbro fuel pump and all of the things that go with these parts. So there is a lot going on under the hood, good/bad ??

So you understand why I am after the response, I have a 350GT with the APS TT system on it and you touch the peddle and it is OFF and running, no building revs as it has torque, I cannot understand why going from 2.6 to 3.2Lt , .6Lt more will only get you a modest 200 to 300rpm better response, bloody cars :) :)

post-134126-0-20470700-1403132977_thumb.png

post-134126-0-35327800-1403132999_thumb.gif

^^^

Come on man. Have a look at that first dogshit graph. It would be a woeful car to drive. No one can blame the bloke for wanting a bit more twist through the lower end of the RPM range.

I am sure there must be some reason my thoughts are off track but 2.6Lt motor gets an extra 0.6Lts that gives you about 22% more on the original 2.6Lt motor, then the 3.2Lt stroker kit must do better than tweaking a few mods to get the response down low that I want, got me stuffed :(

If you have 22% extra power does that take the 345.4KW to 421kws or doesn't it work that way :/

So you understand why I am after the response, I have a 350GT with the APS TT system on it and you touch the peddle and it is OFF and running, no building revs as it has torque, I cannot understand why going from 2.6 to 3.2Lt , .6Lt more will only get you a modest 200 to 300rpm better response, bloody cars :) :)

350GT has Vcam actuators on both intake cams, and a modern torquey 3.5L V6. Comparing it to an engine designed in the 70's is plain silly.

Maybe you bought the wrong car. If you want instant response then maybe you are more suited to say a golf gti

I bought the right car, just with the wrong mods being added for what I wanted from it , so I will keep trying and I have a feeling it will be as good as most DDs with the stroker job done or at least it will satisfy my needs :)

The car is good to drive now but I guess like the rest of you blokes I want MY car to do what I want it to and I will get that one way or another :)

Thanks Paul, I am sure it will be mad once I finish with it :)

350GT has Vcam actuators on both intake cams, and a modern torquey 3.5L V6. Comparing it to an engine designed in the 70's is plain silly.

Silly me, I am not comparing engines that would be plain silly :)

I am trying to get the best out my engine for how I want it to drive . I might not know the correct words to use on this forum and it is obvious I know nothing and do not pretend to be the super mechanic, I just want help and if that's all you have to offer PO!

Most of you blokes keep changing mods on your cars and that what it is all about, getting what you want from your car, that is what I am trying to do and loving the ride:)

You obviously have the cash behind you to afford the hasty decisions.

If that's what you enjoy keep on going!

Certainly a 3.2l would be great to drive!

Get it built with a neo head so you get vct and enjoy even more response.

How about you PO, I have already discussed in this thread the ways you can obtain your magical response, in laymans terms mind you, if you still can't comprehend them don't take it out on me.

How about you rip the engine out and shove an LS1 in there.

You obviously have the cash behind you to afford the hasty decisions.

If that's what you enjoy keep on going!

Certainly a 3.2l would be great to drive!

Get it built with a neo head so you get vct and enjoy even more response.

Yeh Ben, I am an oldie with monie after working my butt off all my life and retired now "I am living the dream", an R34GTR and going to get it moving, F I am in heaven already :)

My new mods can be used with the stroker, so all good.

I will ask the builder to look into the Neo head and now going to find out what it is, haha, thanks :)

How about you PO, I have already discussed in this thread the ways you can obtain your magical response, in laymans terms mind you, if you still can't comprehend them don't take it out on me.

How about you rip the engine out and shove an LS1 in there.

Thats not very nice, you hurt my feelings :(

I wanted to know about the RB30,Nitto 3.2Lt Stroker kit and find someone that can give me some feedback, Dyno before and after, anything, not a lesson on modern motors, but thanks for that it is interesting and you seem very knowledgeable and I would not dare cross swords with you on motors or cars.

BUT TELL ME ABOUT THE STROKER REBUILDS, Will it get the magical torque I am desperate for,PLEASE