SAU Community

Beer Baron's Epic R32 Gtr Restoration And Build Up - Japanese Style!

yep, it's down there now in the horden pavilion at moore park. It looks pretty good I reckon, but surely will go pretty much unnoticed amongst the 'kandy' paint and massive chrome rims. I saw a car entering last night. it was about a 1985 daihatsu charade. still with the standard body. but with some crazy paint job and graphics including a massive sticker across the windscreen in silver glitter that read SEX SPEC. sadly I fear it will probably score more points than the poor ol GTR! sex spec indeed.

anyway, go check out the SAU display. we are way up in the corner. some nice cars there and the 32 will be in the dyno comp too. I can't wait to see what it's making on the run in tune. bearing in mind it's only running 14psi, conservative tune and no cam gear adjustment. I think it feels like about 280rwkw but hard to judge as it has really strong top end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this will probably be the final update.

Can had a check of the tune, and it was pretty spot on. We raised the boost a little and it came alive. Now making 303kw atw and very fat mid range.

very nice street package. It makes 1 bar boost at 3700rpm! at 4400rpm it's already making 210 kw at the wheels. and it hits 303kw at just 6700rpm. :D it feels super FAT on the street.

Later this week the car will be heading to it's new home in Perth, so all you perth SAU guys keep an eye out for it. ;)

nice.. pics up fairly early and doesn't drop all the way through the rev range..

Hope my graph looks like that soon :D

So is still going up for grabs mate?

Edited by Tomek

yeah it sold to a good friend of mine who is currently living in WA. :(

the mid range is fantastic in it. typical RB26 has nothing under 3,000, but over 4,000 it's very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, terrific build, nice work. Im sure the new owner will have a great ownership experience. No doubt in my mind that paying good money for the right one, will save you a fortune in the long run!

• 2 months later...

Hey Richard,

How much did you get the Trust intake kit for i want to run z32 afm on my GTR and would be good to know how much it will set me back.

when they put it in did they have the turbos on i didnt see any pics from the passenger side, i know when i put my engine back in the GTS4 that was a pain and i didnt have the turbo on?

Also great build up love it, have you managed to sell it yet?

Hi mate, yep it sold a few months back now. I didn't even get a chance to draw up an ad and really put it up for sale. It really got sold before I'd even decided I 100% was ready to sell. lol. The new owner loves it to death though and calls me every now and then to tell me how much he loves driving it the bugger!!! I miss the car, but knowing that Glenn enjoys it so much does give me satisfaction. :)

The trust piping kit is around $1000 from memory. I have another one here at home for my other 32 GTR and I really like it. It transforms the look of the engine bay and I'm sure it can't hurt flow either. The kit to suit Z32s is good as it includes the harnesses and adapters basically everything you need. HKS make a similar kit too and some prefer the look of that one (I prefer the trust look but it's pretty subjective!).

I'm pretty sure they refitted the engine with the turbos on, but I can check my pics. They have done it hundreds of times and use a little balance bar thing on the engine crane which I'm sure helps too.

yep definitely fitted engine with turbos and plenum in place.

you can see the dump pipe in the first pic and the second one was taken I think with the engine already hooked up to the crane. This is the best way to go imo as fitting the turbos and dumps with engine in the car is a bit of a bitch.

cimg0104kh8.jpg

cimg0091bb7.jpg

no flywheel or gearbox on though so they must have done that in car, but they have the starter motor sitting there ready I guess to save having to try and squeeze it in once the motor's fitted. and you can see the bolt the engine to the engine mounts, then just slot it into place on the chassis rather than fitting the mounts to the chassis first.

• 1 month later...

Cheers Richard,

Its always good to know your car is going to a great bloke that loves it. It is a very nice car.

I may have to invest in a kit for mine i want to also keep the twin turbo pipe just for the stock look but love the trust kit so i may just have to have both.

Thank for having a look to see if they had the turbos on i know when i put my 20 back in mine without the turbo was a tight fit with the front diff.

There is no way you would get it in with the gearbox on just not enough room you have to do it in 2 stages engine and box.

The balance bar sounds interesting, have you got any pics of it would be nice to see how they go about getting them in.

Cheers David

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Another small update. The new owner took the car to the strip in perth last week for a bit of drag fun. He is not a drag racer by any means but was just keen to get a slip and some idea of th ecars potential. Anyway, the result was an 11.7 second pass @120mph. not bad at all I reckon. getting clsoe to R35 terriory for a fraction of the cost and certainly faster than most 'exotcs' out there. With a bit of practice even with the current tune, tyres, etc it cold do a 11.4 or so I reckon and with more boost, tuning and maybe some 17s or 16 I would say a flat or low 11 would not be out of the question. But for now Glenn is just happy to know he has a genuine "11 second car".

yeah he was pretty pleased. The whole deal is pretty un-stressed at the moment, which is how he wants it for continuous trouble free motoring. there is probably a few more mph in it with more boost and tuning and I think having the attessa controller turned up probably hurts the mph a bit up the deep end, but I think he's more than happy with the performance as it is. :P It's nothing really out there, but pretty solid just the same.

• 2 months later...

Well all I can say after owning and driving this car these last few months is that the car just keeps on giving. I didn't think much of the GTR before I owned one but every time I drive it I fall in love with it that little bit more. Richard really did create an AMAZING car.

The GTR was intended to be a Sunday car for me and I only drive it once or twice every couple of weeks. I have been to the drags a couple of times and had sorted how to launch the car with minimal wheelspin. It was also pretty popular in the staging area with plenty of people commenting on just how clean and straight it was. There is something to say about the classic lines of an R32 and the grey colour / 34GTR wheel combo is just stunning. As Richard has mentioned, I am sure that the car would do low 11's with a little boost/timing tweaks. At the moment it's conservative tune and power output is all I am willing to use. I love having a car that I just jump into and not have to worry about breaking.

I will probably do a few of the WA speed events this year and hope to get to Barbagallo within a month. I did a superkhana a last week and wasn't competitive. What it did give me was a clear idea of how I need to improve the stock suspension to get the best out of the car. Once I get front camber/castor and toe settings under control I should have a very quick car. I have also decided to keep HICAS. I love the lack of understeer on my stock suspension and am very happy to put up with the nervous moments mid corner for the removal of understeer. The superkhana also taught me how bad mismatched tyres can effect car dynamics. I had brand new Toyo R1R's on the rear with my older RE040 street tyres on the front. All I got was phenomenal understeer and lots of noise every corner. Live and learn on that one. Here is some in car footage of my best run last week.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uMboMqvcB8A

All in all, Richard honoured me with the purchase of this car and I will always be gratefull to him for it. It was as he described (better actually) and it did not dissapoint in any way. Whoever got the R34 would have got the bargain. Lucky sod!