SAU Community

Mark And Duncans R32 Build

Duncan

Yeah would like to see how it feels. I drove the standard system without a booster once and it was a real bastard.

Id give you a drive now but Id have to push you down a big hill to get any substancial speed up.

its not going very far atm!!

It smashed the oil pump to bits last weekend at oran park just as it hit the top of 3rd (9grand) down the straight.

Its all ready to repair now though, should have everything back this week from the balancer and get it back in next weekend in time for out next oran park round.

Dry sump is underway, sump pan is planned out as is the tank and the final thing to do is fabricate the brackets and mandrel for the pump.

Edited by Risking

Yep no stuffing around here. longest part is making the sump with pickups that will actually work.

I need it up and running again to finish sorting out the brakes.

Biggest problem I found with it last time out was getting heat into the rotors.

Its obvious that over a 5 lap sprint your not going to be able to heat up massive rotors, mine came good after 4 laps which is not really good enough either.

Gee wiz you guys kill engines quick. :glare:

Have you guys ever thought about racing a diesel? Lol

ROFL,,,Maybe a Radical with a wide seat might help.

GTR's love emptying wallets,,,great fun while there going though,,,,that why the boys can't help themselves.

What about an RB25det,,in 4wd,,,maybe it would last longer.

Neil.

I saw a nice pretty cardboard box which supposedly contains a nice pretty new block belonging to Duncan while at TCH today. I'm told they don't want to be responsible for building this one, but will measure it up to make sure the crank and bock and girdle are all good.

I guess it's just one more engine to put together in the ol' Kenthurst workshop.

On the bright side, my head (the engine one that is) is in perfect working order (the other one I'm not too sure on). Nas and Anthony both reckon my first suspicion on the oil scraper rings is correct. Visible burnt oil on 1 and 2. Going to take the pistons over to be checked when I pick up the sump from cleaning on Friday to make sure. So should be putting it together on Saturday.

Sunday's out, so probably the next weekend to put it back in. Can fit a few engine assemblies in on Saturday if your new block and crank are ready. I'll do bottom end, you bolt on all the extra bits and we can knock 2 over on Saturday.

If anyone's after some head work, you've got to see the valve seat cnc machine that TCH have. It's just amazing! Computer has profiles for any block and all they have to do is drop the spindle into the valve guide and the machine does the rest. They can do a 24 valve head in about 20 minutes.

Mark

ROFL,,,Maybe a Radical with a wide seat might help.

GTR's love emptying wallets,,,great fun while there going though,,,,that why the boys can't help themselves.

What about an RB25det,,in 4wd,,,maybe it would last longer.

Neil.

I like the way you think. LOL

Hey Duncan have u decided on running a brake booster or not? what about power steering, anyone tried running without it and taking all the lines off at the rack? my mate runs no p/s in his supra with all lines removed and its remarkebly smooth and soft to steer, im thinking the less accessories on/around the motor the better :P what about the abs setup, if its deleted then how do the lines run, can u run the stock brake master cylinder still?

Edited by unique1

Hey Duncan have u decided on running a brake booster or not? what about power steering, anyone tried running without it and taking all the lines off at the rack? my mate runs no p/s in his supra with all lines removed and its remarkebly smooth and soft to steer, im thinking the less accessories on/around the motor the better :) what about the abs setup, if its deleted then how do the lines run, can u run the stock brake master cylinder still?

Beer Bitch and six pack great idea you cheeky you. Like Thomas Edison found many ways a light bulb would not work before he found how to make it work. Frustration and set back adds character and appreciation to the end result and success is a journey anyway, bla bla..

I thought about running without power steering but decided not, as the small weight and power improvement is not worth it , and with wide tyres it would be too hard to steer. 4wd even more load and suggest not. Definitely get the new Ross Racing balancer which has vulcanised rubber and two big O Rings. It absorbs resonance from crank better than factory one which RB26's need, and stronger. Also under drives water pump 10% and power steering by 20%, which will help with high revving race car. I would also go Greddy oversized pulleys. I did both on my zed and works well.

Peddle box is s a big job but one of the best things I did and brakes work heaps better and much more feel, booster is OK if retain ABS otherwise lock brakes all the time.

Hope this helps, and keep up the great work Mark and Dunc and keep your eye on the prize.

Hey Duncan,

Was just wondering how you went with the perspec windows??? How do they look are they easy and clear to see through?? Im in a slow process of doing my own 32 track car and i was going to get some lexan windows some time down the track just would like to know how they turned out and if it is worth it??

David