SAU Community

Mark And Duncans R32 Build

Duncan

well its nice when everyone agrees. And at $50 a 16" thermo sounds good. But here is where it gets trickier for us.

We need to run 2 radiators, I see the standard one in the normal spot, and the 2nd (for intercooler) where the AC condensor normally lives. What I'm wondering is do we need a fan on each or will a single fan be sufficient if the whole area is sealed (ie we duct from the front bar to the radiator support, and also seal the engine radiator to the radiator support as well. Will sealing it all mean it all sucks? looks like there is still some thinking and testing there.

ahh well.....might have to cut even more out of the front of the car to fit that it. but without an intercooler and a reo bar its not out ouf the question :D

neil's capri had a good setup, well ducted from the front bar

I still like the idea of chucking the intercooler radiator up the back behind the fuel cell. If we skin the underside of the rear for a little bit of ground effects, we can channel it through the radiator. Means we don't get the second hand hot air off the radiator and in front of the engine to cool the intercooler.

At a guess, we should get at least and extra 5-10 degrees of cooling out of it, which is great on the long runs where heat soak becomes a factor. Have a look at the air temp on the power fc readout. It's scary how hot the air is going into the engine after you have been driving flat out for 10 mins. With the intake from the headlight and the cooling at the rear we should only get the heat from the compression in the turbos.

Mark

Anyone want to make a trip to Qld on the weekend of the 26th?

Could be dangerous.

Anyone know why this stuff is being cleared?

Pitty a lot of it is not usable, but look at that pallet of brake rotors!

Would have to drive up with a van or similar and drive back.

Tempting!

Anyone want to make a trip to Qld on the weekend of the 26th?

Could be dangerous.

Anyone know why this stuff is being cleared?

Pitty a lot of it is not usable, but look at that pallet of brake rotors!

Would have to drive up with a van or similar and drive back.

Tempting!

you are STILL a crazy man Mark

but im always up for a road trip

Could be worth it. I can get the van, but will need some drivers to come with. Have to have a serious look at what's available and decide.

I would not bother mate I have had a good look thru what is up for grabs and most of it seems like pretty useless shite. The only thing that might be worth anything would possibly be some of the brake rotors. But i would think that even most of those would be rubbish.

What did you end up using to bend it all?

I found a small tube bender from Mitre10 for $15 which was well basically useless at bending 8mm round bar so I actually used my side fence to bend the angles. Just wedged it in there at certain points and pulled or pushed to get the right angle and surprisingly it worked quite well.

However, i've decided to scrap that idea and just keep the standard electric windows with the alloy door trims for now. I wanted it to be neat and I think using the perspex windows with that frame I made wouldn't have been a snug fit or look overly impressive. I can easily add them later if need be but for now im happy with the factory setup with minor modifications.

Here it is with rivets in place, still need to cut out and fit the little window up/down switch along with the door release and a handle and then prime/paint it. The drivers side is exactly the same although I need to cut out a section for the window/mirrors/lock control unit.

post-1296-1216551506_thumb.jpg

Over the next couple of days i'll make the backseat/parcel shelf piece and get that fitted.

dazmo,

Thanks for the info. Would hate to have made a trip all the way up there and it not be worth it. Even the rotors are probably not worth it as we will be doing short stints and will be unlikely to really put enough heat in those rotors. Will have to pick rotors and pads accordingly.

Mark

I would not bother mate I have had a good look thru what is up for grabs and most of it seems like pretty useless shite. The only thing that might be worth anything would possibly be some of the brake rotors. But i would think that even most of those would be rubbish.

come on Duncan we need more updates :( How come people remove the engine fan and replace with a thermo fan? is it because the engine fan wont fit due to large radiator or is the thermo actually better than the engine fan and a worthwhile upgrade? I would rather a thermo fan as the engine fan looks shocking and takes up too much room at the front of the motor, but if the engine fan is gonna do a better job then i will just keep it as is.

Edited by unique1

ahh I'd love to give you all the good updates, but I've been working 7 days and Mark's been down in Melbourne. We should make some progress this weekend with the shell and wiring.

Re the fan there are a couple of reasons

* we don't have a clutch fan around

* thermo fan is smaller lighter and should cool just as well

* less power lost with electric fan (less drag on the engine, even with the clutch)

* better control on/off with electric fan. I've grabbed on of these to run it, just testing it tonight http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?I...=&SUBCATID=

* more flexibility about where we mount it (front or back of radiator) gives us more room to move things around.

we need to get good airflow to engine radiator, intake radiator, oil cooler/s, power steer cooler - all at the front of the car.

Also been doing some research on the rear geometry and ordering some more bits (ouch, money).

and following up brake master cylinder options.....brad is trying to talk me out of running a brake booster I think....

and sorting out gauges for custom dash, we will be using one of MountainRunners engine monitors as the main dash/gauge/display (they look excellent to me). Just sorting out some extras like revs, boost, volts, fuel level for the custom tank. Intending to throw away all the factory dash gear and wiring at this stage.

So no work just organising atm.

oh and the new block turned up for the race car so I need to get it built and running again. And we need to finish the rebuild of Mark's gas roadie gtr and get it back on the road too. lots on the go atm.