SAU Community

Mark And Duncans R32 Build

Duncan

Yup the weather has been annoying the past 2-3wks coz I need to spend a solid 2 days working on mine out in the open but everytime it looks like the rain has moved on we get another light shower grr.

too damn cold to work on the nugget today

Yea so we had to work on the death trailer out in the open,,,and then to top it off,,,we stripped Marks roll-over front cut.

Thanks Boys.

Neil.

you need garage in floor heating!

a 6.2kw in floor cable system costs about $800 and is tied to the reo mesh before slab is poured...runs on off peak and costs about $1 a day to run. We did it in the last house we built...but not the garage...will not be so silly to overlook the garage in future.

Duncan's too scared to tell everyone, but the cars going to have, at least in the beginning, chinese turbos. Yes you heard the lunacy here first, but instead of the 2530's I've ordered a pair of chinese turbos and an external 50mm wastegate. I'm pretty confident that the setup will provide a pretty good balance of low down torque and not peter out as happens with internal wastegate turbos.

A/R is .63, which may be a bit laggy, but I'm hoping that they will come on full at about 3800 and boost solidly right through to 7500. I'm a big fan of smaller turbos, but if this doesn't work, I'm going to have a tough time holding Duncan back from the 3L conversion.

I intend to get the turbos properly balanced before going ahead just to make sure, but if they come in alright, then they are going on!

Let the flameing begin!

Mark

Dont worry, DUncan wont let the bearings stay together long enough for the turbos to let go :P

lol need a garage at all first :P

Neil.....admit it was fun tipping that car onto its head. And suprisingly little blood was lost between us. Interior looks a little more dangerous though

Yea great fun indeed, Especially slamin it back on to the ground. Oh kickin the mirror off was also a highlight. Sorry Markey but it's all about pay back for all the blood spilt and dirty fingernails over the years.

I promise to love and cherish your next one.

Steve-oooo,,,you own a build in progress GTR (I wonder why),,,,so don't get to cocky as I will laugh loadest at your misfortunes. If you think for one moment all your dry sumping la-la-la is going to give you a relaible car you might want to put the ice pipe down about now.

Neil.

and thats the truth! always something when racing.

i split a gearbox in two last year at close to two hundred kay hour, then the grass i pulled up on caught fire! the whole lot was throw away nothing useable in the box at all.

hehe

i have video from inside the car , i should post it up , it sounds like the engine is coming apart but you can see the gearstick moving around violently & smoke pouring up through the car.

Opened the turbos up last night after bringing them home. The quality is surprisingly good for a something so cheap.

Some issues though, specifically they have a different exhaust fitting to the normal t28 GTR turbos which will mean some modifications.

I was aware of the T03 exhaust inlet was larger, but this didn't worry me because It's a pretty simple matter of getting some new flanges and cutting the old ones off and welding the new ones on. Also will allow us to change the angle if needed to make the fit better.

Exhaust outlet is not so easy. I thought that all five bolt exhaust outlet were the same, but apparently not. They are larger than the t28 5 bolt, so the dump pipes we've got are not going to fit. If I'd known I would have just got 4 bolt exhaust type and flanges. Anyway, not the end of the world, there are options, adaptor plates, flanges, something will work.

Details on the turbos are:

.50 a/r compressor

.63 a/r turbine

.57 trim

Turbine wheel:

Exducer: 2.48" - 63mm

Mayor : 2.89" - 73.4mm

Compressor wheel :

Exducer: 2.07" - 52.6mm

Mayor : 2.36" - 59.9mm

As a comparisson, 2530s below:

TURBINE:

Wheel = 53.8mm

Trim = 76

A/R = 0.64

COMPRESSOR:

Trim = 63

Inducer = 47.7

Exducer = 60.1

A/R = 0.60

By the specs, they should spool up slightly faster, but will probably peak sooner. External gate may change this, but we'll see.

oh while we are doing difficult things, does anyone have ideas on a filter for the fuel system? need something big, cheap and easy to get to mount in the boot. fuel cell and brackets, surge tank and pump are easy enough. and where do we get cheaper fittings than those nasty expensive speedflow things.

No doubt the fabrication will be a pain in the ass, up top not so much, but definitively the exhaust side will be tricky as you don't get too many chances to get it right. All looks great when it's tested outside the engine bay, only to find it fouls on the firewall...

As to the fuel filter, I've already got a 1/2 inch traditional fuel filter, so that should do the job. Standard pinch fittings. We use the Hicas lines for fuel which gets 1/2 inch of flow up to the fuel rail. Overkill, but it costs nothing and the fuel filter can be mounted in the engine bay or the boot.