SAU Community

Mark And Duncans R32 Build

Duncan

Hey guys, looking for some donations in the form of old unused stock GTS-T dump pipes. Need 2 (obviously), promise to hack and beat them until they are even uglier than they were from factory. Want to try and modify them to fit, or at the very least cut them off at the knees to use as flanges.

Hey guys, looking for some donations in the form of old unused stock GTS-T dump pipes. Need 2 (obviously), promise to hack and beat them until they are even uglier than they were from factory. Want to try and modify them to fit, or at the very least cut them off at the knees to use as flanges.

Mark, they are cast steel. You can’t weld them or really change them that much just buy some turbine flanges and a 3" 90 deg mandrel bend and have fun. I can post up a pick of a simple one that you can copy if you need some inspiration.

Cheers,

Ryan

Ryan,,,good to see you in here mate,,,you have to be very careful telling Mark something can't be done. The man will find a way to do anything. You can actually weld cast but the object has to totally glowing red if my tech days memories are right.

Mark,,,wifey's gtst has after market dump so I'll donate one.

Steve-o I could start laughing about now,,,but that wouldn't be nice. So I'll give you a word of advice,,,It doesn't matter who builts it or fixes it something will break sooner than later. I'm just waiting for my turn at the moment. Touch wood (my bloody head) I get through this season.

Neil.

Ryan, you may be right. You can weld to cast, but it's a pain in the ass. Have to heat the hell out of the cast or you'll blow big holes in the pipe trying to get it to weld to the cast. More importantly, I realised that since the turbos are external wastegate, we don't need the whole thing open, just a round opening around the turbine. Given the external wastegate and the fact that it's a pair, 2 inch should do it. Just got to figure out how to get 3x 2 " pipes down the back of the engine and out the side ...

Ryan, you may be right. You can weld to cast, but it's a pain in the ass. Have to heat the hell out of the cast or you'll blow big holes in the pipe trying to get it to weld to the cast. More importantly, I realised that since the turbos are external wastegate, we don't need the whole thing open, just a round opening around the turbine. Given the external wastegate and the fact that it's a pair, 2 inch should do it. Just got to figure out how to get 3x 2 " pipes down the back of the engine and out the side ...

I cut the standard dump pipe off on a previous R32 Gtst of mine.....made a dump pipe for it and welded it on without heating the original "flange". Surprisingly it did not crack, even after 6 or 7 sprints. I then sold the car and the current owner hasn't had an issue with any cracking even after 3 years. I'm very surprised :D was expecting it to have cracked by now.

mark what china turbos ya running

me can get cheap cheap dumps for some of them

fatz,

good to hear from you.

Turbos are:

t3t4pic4.jpg

t3t4pic2.jpg

t3t4pic5.jpg

t3t4pic3.jpg

MonstA T3/T4 600HP TURBO

The T3 / T4 MonstA Turbo are custom matched for specific applications. Airflow ratings to 600 HP. Consists of a T3 turbine section, (standard, Stage II or Stage III trim) and a T4 compressor section (T04 trim).

The turbo offers the low inertia and fast boost response of the light weight T3 Turbine wheel and the high airflow characteristics of the T4 compressor. Air flow rating of up to 600HP

3" Inlet Diameter : 2" outlet

Wet Floating Bush Bearings : 1/8 NPT oil inlet

T3 Flange : Fits T3 and T3/T4 Manifolds

Specs:

. 50 a/r compressor

.63 a/r turbine

.57 trim

Turbine wheel:

Exducer: 2.48"

Mayor : 2.89"

Compressor wheel :

Exducer: 2.07"

Mayor : 2.36"

t3t4pic1.jpg

clear.gifclear.gif

clear.gif

Need to block the little hole next to the turbine exhaust. They are external wastegate and I guess this hole is common to the internal and external gate casting. The correct flanges have a plate and just a hole big enough for the exhaust turbine.

i think a guy next door to my work is putting one of them onto his 3cyl cherade.. hopefully not that big tho.

That I'd like to see. Would probably spool up about 1 millisecond before the piston (one of the 3) comes flying out the block and lands in his lap!

Any updates to the alloy door trims + replacement windows?

I bought a couple of sheets of 2400x1200x1.6mm alloy today and a new bosch jigsaw and plan to figure this out over the next few days. I want to retain the factory handle locking mechanism, remove excess bracing then mold it at the top so it sits flush with the replacement windows.

yeah kind of but no real progress. Need to paint the cage and interior next step.

re windows we have a source that has moulds for side and rear gtr windows, and who can get 4mm lexen cheap. thanks source. But in our case we will probably have to build window frames to hold the window because we removed lots. the lexen moulds assume the standard electric winders are kept.

re the ally sheet on the doors, it can come up a fair way but can't really meet the standard window where the trim normally sits, it curves pretty tightly and that will be tricky.

at this stage it looks like we will be going ally headlights/intake as well. probably still a while away but the design is pretty good.

BTW jigsaw is a bastard to cut the ally with. you will need very fine tooth blade, take it slowly and clamp it down hard. the ally likes to vibrate with the blade instead of getting cut. We used tin snips but nibbler would be even better.

Ben, bring me your sheet and I'll guillotine it at my friends place. I can use the same template as ours. Jigsaw job just won't finish well. Otherwise, get a nibbler, it does a pretty good job, but it's hard to do really straight lines without a guide.

BTW does anyone have a better option than a $100 ebay surge tank? Chris, can you make one up cheaper? Any problems with any particular design, they seem pretty simple.

fuel cell is on its way

JAZ-250-008-01%20drag%20race%20fuel%20cell.jpg

Did it come with the straps?

Neil.