SAU Community

Is Hsv W427 Worth $150k-$170k?

WRONG. Yes you CAN put your kids and ski gear in an M3 with absolutely no problems and take long comfortable drives in it as well :D

Cool, i am making your mind boggle :) Difference of opinions. LOL, seems you are driving your 3 series so you are perfectly happy up front. Maybe you need to ride up back more often :D

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam and those bashing Holdens. What is the population of Japan, how many automakers? What is Australia's population and how many car makers do we have?

Australia has a proud history of making sport sedans, performance saloons, GTR cars, whatever you want to call them. We like hot rods and its what our manufacturers are good at, it just so happens its all they can really do given the dollars.

The GTR is a all out purpose built sports car. The HSV is a hot rodded sedan, i love the fact that the cars are re-engineered mass produced cars. They are a different challenge to build, to drive and they appeal to different people. They are infinitely tunable unlike the European makes...so, anyway. I love cars, all cars.

Would i buy this...nope. Would i buy the Coupe should they build it...FARK YEH! Either that or the new Camaro thankyou.

I think some people feel better when they bash Holdens, each to their own i suppose. I can certainly see their appeal and i dont doubt HSV will sell them in a flash. The VL Walkinshaw could not be given away in its day, much like the R32 GTR. Look at what the VL is worth alongside a GTR :P

Although the VL Walkinshaw didn't have to complete with the grey imports market bringing in Walkinshaws from Japan, did they? And an Australian original R32 GTR is still around the $40,000+ mark. That's $10,000 more than a Walky. Neither are realistically priced if you are looking for bang for your buck, but there will always be a select group of people willing to pay unrealistic prices for whatever they love.

However, I agree with your principle: Modified cars - I don't care what make or model, they're all great! (even the bad ones!) And they're much better than driving Camrys... ;-)

It brings me much enjoyment to see HSV inject the 'performance car spirit' into the Holden Commodore, and I wish them all the best for the future.

However, keep in mind that it will also give me much enjoyment smoking this $170,000 monster at the lights in my $20,000 R32 GTR. And that's BEFORE we get to the first corner... ;-)

Edited by coakman

Although the VL Walkinshaw didn't have to complete with the grey imports market bringing in Walkinshaws from Japan, did they? And an Australian original R32 GTR is still around the $40,000+ mark. That's $10,000 more than a Walky. Neither are realistically priced if you are looking for bang for your buck, but there will always be a select group of people willing to pay unrealistic prices for whatever they love.

Dunno where you were looking, but try these and compare them to Aus delivered GTR's.

VL Walkinshaw

Brock Director

People need to stop comparing HSV to the new GTR, they're different horses for different courses. The more appropriate comparo is HSV vs the M5 (as higlighted on Top Gear when they tested the current R8)

Both are hi-po luxo sedans, both put out 370kw. The difference is the W427 puts out more torque (640nm v 520nm) and costs $150k v $240k.

Hell, for that price you could buy the HSV and a 3 series turbo coupe and it would only cost about $10k more than an M5.

So when you compare the fact that a more powerful car than an M5 is available for $90k less, i'd say it definately worth the pricetag.

Check it here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qn7Z-iLa8h0

haha

it was funny seeing this car at the melbourne motor show, i saw it went up to the guy asked him how much it was, when he told me it would be priced at around 170k$ i just pissed myself with laughter, im like yeah i wouldnt pay 50k for that, is it just me or are holden becoming stupider and stupider?

it seems to me they are. with fuel prices constantly rising and apparently going to reach 2$ by the end of the year are they serious with bringing out 7litres?

for me its a joke lmao

haha

it was funny seeing this car at the melbourne motor show, i saw it went up to the guy asked him how much it was, when he told me it would be priced at around 170k$ i just pissed myself with laughter, im like yeah i wouldnt pay 50k for that, is it just me or are holden becoming stupider and stupider?

it seems to me they are. with fuel prices constantly rising and apparently going to reach 2$ by the end of the year are they serious with bringing out 7litres?

for me its a joke lmao

Didnt they just let go 500 staff?

Toyota is the best car manufacturing company bar none! They keep up with the times. Holden and Ford just continue building family cars as if every bloke that buys one is a Sheik from Saudi Arabia with the fat wallet to match!

Didnt they just let go 500 staff?

Toyota is the best car manufacturing company bar none! They keep up with the times. Holden and Ford just continue building family cars as if every bloke that buys one is a Sheik from Saudi Arabia with the fat wallet to match!

Haha so true

yeh i think that toyota is the most advanced car manufacturer at the moment and im pretty sure thats not going to change unless holden or ford are willing to drop there big engine and big power for more economical drives.

Haha so true

yeh i think that toyota is the most advanced car manufacturer at the moment and im pretty sure thats not going to change unless holden or ford are willing to drop there big engine and big power for more economical drives.

But then if Ford and Holden follow Toyota and build economical cars, they will still make cars that:

1. Have crap build quality

2. Unreliable

3. Way over priced

Only to think that I LOVED Holden ages ago prior getting a ride in a Nissan... lol Never looked back since.

you can just put an end to this and save abit more

and if your smart you can buy a R35 GTR

or just buy a ztune am i right ?

it would blow this thing away within seconds. all holdens are way to heavy to be half decent cars.

lol, and to think anyone would actually entertain the thought of actually buying this holden over the R35..

*shakes head*

only the uneducated or blatantly ignorant will.

I think the coupe looks pretty damn good but still $170k for any car is a lot - Nissan or Holden.

I got into Nissan Skylines because they had Euro performance or better and because they weren't pretentious - I looked past the badge, looked at the racing heritage and saw it as bloody good value - even the GTSTs had 4 pot brakes - a brake package for a commodore back then was a $3-4K extra.

Skylines and GTRs have alway represented great value performance, something that I don't think a $170K HSV really offers.

Compare Japan to Oz, not even Nissan is that pretentious to overprice their cars to their normal model or against the Euros(and atleast the GTR performs better than most euros)

Take a V36 Skyline 4 dr, its under half the price of a GTR - meaning a family car with 200kw for about $40K AU and the GTR $80K AU. Nissan 250GT to 350 GT is 2.5 to 3.7 million yen (about $28K au to $38k au)

An SS is a pretty quick car these days and looks pretty good, not too bad for a sub $60 K car, BUT I don't really see three times the 'value'/performance in the HSV, maybe if it was the 'FJ' I might feel differently - about it being unique!

Too me this HSV just makes the SS look like a bargain, whereas the GTR looks like a bargain in its home country (twice the price of its family models). HSV is really cashing in on blind obsession with the marque.

I have nothing against the Au cars either, and I think the VE isn't too bad a design, they did a pretty good job with the design $$ but we can't really call it ozzie made when all the control is from Detroit. The VE is what they should have made when they did the VT, not the US soft look and dodgy IRS variant they came up with. Even the latest Ford is an ok car, but maybe a little too late like the VE. Both these companies have always had some pretty high tech at their disposal but they never seemed to share it with their Au subsidiaries, mind you even the Japs dished us out the crap models.

If GM gave us their best and priced it at $100-120K (ie. an AWD ZO6 Corvette with 4drs) then it really would be something.

To me a $170 car needs to be in the same league as the others, or it really is just hype! I really can't see someone getting back the extra $100k over an SS in the future when the petrol is $3 /litre.

And I suppose thats the difference - I look for a good value performance car - now, not some theoretical value in the future because at $170K you'd have to do that, otherwise you'd buy an SS and throw $50 K at it.

Haha so true

interesting point...If Toyota builds the Hybrid camrys and sell them here like they intend to..it could spell disaster for the local manufacturers specially with fuel costs hitting record highs

I think you are all missing the fact that this is a limited edition car. Will they sell them? Probably. If there were a mass produced vehcile would they sell thousands of them? No!

At the end of the day they build cars that the public want and are buying. I see about 20 SS Commodores to one supercharged Toyota Aurion. I see everybody driving Falcons and Commodores more then the Toyotas and Mistubishi 380s etc.

In my game there are smart ppl designing and building amazing technologies, most of the time they do it because they can, not as a solution to a problem. So there is no market and many go broke. So claim as much as you want about Holdens etc being inferior to Toyota etc, or for being out of touch with the public.

Reality is they are doing a better job of providing Australians cars they want and are willing to buy. So technically inferior, sure/perhaps. Are there cars still relevant to the motoring public? Yep, thats why they as well as they do. This reflects more on the Australian public and the need to change/wait for attitudes to change.

So if you take that course what place does any 1700kg TT 3.8L Skyline have on the roads, power is power is power and takes a certain amount of fuel and air to make that much bang/hp.

And i for one giggle and am kind of proud that OS when the likes of Top Gear get their hands on our cars they immediately identify them as being Australian, very well priced and some of the most entertaining cars to drive. To me the enjoyment from driving a car, one with character is more important to ownign some technically brilliant car that may be quicker, buts character is doing for the driver what he cant do for himself.

LOL, i think my steak is done....see you :P

Dunno where you were looking, but try these and compare them to Aus delivered GTR's.

VL Walkinshaw

Brock Director

People need to stop comparing HSV to the new GTR, they're different horses for different courses. The more appropriate comparo is HSV vs the M5 (as higlighted on Top Gear when they tested the current R8)

Both are hi-po luxo sedans, both put out 370kw. The difference is the W427 puts out more torque (640nm v 520nm) and costs $150k v $240k.

Hell, for that price you could buy the HSV and a 3 series turbo coupe and it would only cost about $10k more than an M5.

So when you compare the fact that a more powerful car than an M5 is available for $90k less, i'd say it definately worth the pricetag.

Check it here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qn7Z-iLa8h0

That Walkinshaw is an extreme example. Just because one person has one advertised for $115,000 doesn't mean it will sell for that price. Most Walkinshaws advertised recently have been around $35,000.

The Brock Director is a different kettle of fish altogether. There are only 12 of those cars in existence, and not only are they associated with the superb Peter Brock, but they were part of the equation that lead to him splitting from Holden.

That's a piece of history selling there, not your standard HSV.

Plenty of Walkinshaws sell for good money, ditto the VN Grp A. A $35,000 walkinshaw is one that is being given away these days. I spend way too much time looking at used car prices and there are not many of these cars on the market so if you want one you often have to pay the asking price less a bit as most move around within car clubs from one owner to the other.

And all those stil saying the car doesnt go, doesnt handle, doesnt stop, i will copy what someone else posted. Watch this ... http://youtube.com/watch?v=qn7Z-iLa8h0 and look at the time of the car directly above it (wet time)

Clarkson doesnt pull punches and he thinks its a hoot to drive, does all the right things and for a large sedan is easy to throw around and control. And consider that locally a used V10 M5 is the same price as the new HSV. I think its expensive, sure, ludicrous money to spend on ANY car.

But with what the car is trying to achieve. Plenty of performance and driving enjoyment, big sedan with plenty of space. A certain amount of exclusivity which new is the same price as a used 2 yr old M5. Peronally buy an RS4 over all of them :wub:

Guest trikdoutvl

LOL....

i watched targa tasmania last weekend n the r35 got spanked by a a evo lancer n a porshe and a lambo and then it broke BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH all mighty broken GTR r35 on a tow truck BAHAHAHAHAHAHA n i like nissans but they way u guys go on and on and on had to bring this up LOL

so whois first to defend the almighty broken r35 that gets beaten by a lancer LOL