SAU Community

Is Hsv W427 Worth $150k-$170k?

well at that price NO.

However with only limited numbers being made , is it wrong to call it an investment ??

But they would make another super car in 5 years time.. and this 170k package will be worth 50k..

Prices for commodore always drops by a significant amount..

so i have seen..

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having said that, the same people bitching about holden adding 1l (6.0 to 7.0) think that nissan adding 1.2l is brilliant (2.6 to 3.8) lols

oi, play fair ref- the 'small block' 7L is still the same 'ol OHV push-rod V8, VR38 is an alloy V6 versus a cast-iron I6 for the RB

lol, Eug, you can forward this if you like.. i know where i stand in my "understanding" of this situation//

Youre not trying to do a Dan and tell me to shut the f**k up are you mate...?? Sorry - you are a mod and all...

Will i get a warning because Gm emailed you and told you to silence me? ( its not a dig at you Eug -just the irony of it all...after all - i was ready to walk away from this forum only a few hours ago and yet here i am in a debate...feisty, passionate and fired up as always... )

unfortunately, i know pretty much where they stand as well.../

Id love to give it a boot too mate...doesnt mean i agree with whats gone into it.

what does me being a mod have to do with anything? i cant make a personal comment or contribute to the discussion because of my tag? also mind your language, that's not as a mod but as another person you would normally speak to.

all i'm saying is if you are unhappy with how GM/Holden/HSV run their business, then maybe bring it up with them. bitching about issues with peak oil, etc. here and not being proactive about it is equally as bad in my personal opinion.

i think it's well clear that you don't agree what's gone into it. neither do i but at the end of the day they are running a business and if they can make a profit out of it then why not?

Im not an aussie car fan for the simple fact that my once standard 19 year old sports car could out accellerate and out handle brand new top of the line sports cars with alot more power. It all comes down to thinking outside the circle. The whole statement about the only way Holden know how to go quicker is with a bigger engine is something i have been saying for a long time. 170K for a Holden, not for me sorry.

ok this topic has gone way off. for starters we shouldnt even be comparing nissan with holden they aren't direct competitors. one is a GTR thats now aimed at supercars. while the holden is aimed at mainly family cars. i think you should compare it to ford as they are there main competitors. look at the limited edition cobra gt they brought out not long ago it had the cobra badges and and just the paint job and they were charging a fair bit more just because of what it was called and they were snapped up in no time.your paying more because its a limited edition there are alot of hsv fans out there plus people who just love chev and since you cant get them hear you go holden.

so stop comparing them with other cars from other countries. this hsv is aimed at australia and australia only and i dont think this car is really aiming at any other type of car its just a limited edition for collectors and fans. plus in a few years time this engine will probably come in the SS's.

and yes i have changed my tune from the other day because ive thought about it for a bit longer and im not just one sided, i love all cars. but this is what i think anyway.

also id like to add id like to put this engine in a lighter car and see how it goes. :D

So BMW dressing up a 3 series is perfectly fine but if HSV dress up a Holden? What is the price difference between the TT 330ci and the M3?

And no way you can put your kids and ski gear in an M3 and go away for the weekend. Or take off on long touring drives with the kids in an M3.

Now here is a man with the real question. I would take an RS4, simply because it looks great and is a tad smaller, but i woudl get the wagon :D What are these cars priced like compared to the HSV?

Roy, the standard 3 series "wheelbase" is already a corker streets ahead of any standard holden and thats before GmBH gets a hold of it. This from a manufacturer in the ultimate know. The HSV on the other hand is based on the VE wheelbase. If you'd like, lets compare the two standard wheelbases.

You and I both know which will come up trumps without even going to a comparo.

By the way, the RS4, 6 and 8 are beasts. Wolves in sheep's clothing, iron fists in velvet gloves...you know what i mean.

Edited by m3gtr

cant say id ever even consider spending that sort of money on something that at the end of the day, falls into the catagory or being a commodore lol

Can they guarantee that it won't be built on a Friday?

LOl, to anyone who thought the old 427 was a uselful tool in this argument.

The bloody thing was a V8 supercar dressed in wolves clothing.

No wonder it didnt get the green light...

1488-5.jpg

Holden OLD SCHOOL technology at its most unrefined...

1488-4.jpg

Not saying it was a bad car but THIS is NOT a ROAD CAR>..

1488-3.jpg

1488-2.jpg

Yes.

Tough as f**king nails. That isnt enough in the real world.

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

lol forgot to mention if no body already knows, this will be going in production..

i was at dandy gmh today were they store the parts and i was speaking with 1 of the security there, and he confirmed this to me..

link hammerd, type in coupe 60, and can some1 post pics, looks the sex

Edited by chris_r31

m3gtr i know this is off topic, but could you please explain what the difference between a STi Fonzie and the regular version is? I haven't been able to find anything on them on the net!

at the end of the day, this is a car meant to satisfy the cerebral thrill of driving a massive, responsive v8, its probably going to be quite a brute compared to the European cars and the GT-R, but I think that would be the point of the entire excercise, not to mention it's still punching above its weight with the upper end of town.

Simply put most euro cars look as boring as a white VT - the amount of silver bmw's around her is mindboggling, as well as R33's in every colour, why would anyone buy something that everyone else has if they are truly passionate about cars? (obviously the W427 isn't going to attract your average mid life crisis guy or a rich bogan family looking for a people mover)

A BMW M3 is hardly exotic these days, I think that's more a term used alongside say Ferrari F50?

People storing them for high resale values in the future being nuts? Gee i bet all those guys who bought VK Group A's or Walkinshaw's or GT Falcons and stored them away sure feel like idiots that 40 years later their cars are worth over 100k!

Compared to the rest of the Commodore range, these ARE the creme de la creme - I can't recall of any other production Holden/HSV with dry sump lubrication, 6 spot brakes, carbon fibre bodywork etc.

170k isn't really that much for a car of this calibre, many people were happy to pay 100k for the GTS with a 300kw 5.7 litre when it was released!

And saying that its still just a commodore, well you could say a GT-R is just a skyline after all ;)

Bro, i can understand your argument and youve made sense in that the car will appeal to those it needs to appeal to but let me clear a couple of things up.

The 427 does not have any carbon fibre paneling whatsoever. Dry sump it does have but since when was that a technological breakthrough? Seriously.

6 pot brakes? - Bar speak for "Ive got bigger dildos than you and im not afraid to use them."

Bozodos, i know youve read my posts so you should know im arguing about the car from a technological standpoint as well as all the other perspectives that have been brought about by others including yourself, lol, so just keep this in mind.

I swear i would not have the patience to hold onto a car like this to make it more valuable... who from the ...what generation are we up to now??..Z?...so noone from this generation "Z" is going to give a rats about fettling and pampering a holden for 40 years in the hope that it will appreciate.

Ive been wrong on so many occasions though so i wouldnt be surprised!

Onto your question about the Fonz. The Sti version has the same platform as the cooker. What the Sti has that the cooker doesnt is...

Uprated IHI turbo and compressor wheel ( ask Daioni for this one if im wrong )

4 pot brembos on the front

2 on the rear

Front Sti bar, sideskirts, rear bar and boot lid - not to mention the obligatory pink stickers.

18 inch Rays alloys with Bridgestone Potenzas fitted standard.

Larger STi intercooler

Stiffer underbody bracing

Larger diametre STi exhaust - not sure what Dia.

6 speed manual gearbox

Sti Alacantra front buckets and rear trim

Sti wheel and Gear Knob, 240kph speedo with 7000Rpm redline

Thats all i can think of right now...

Hope that helps.

Edited by m3gtr

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

lol forgot to mention if no body already knows, this will be going in production..

i was at dandy gmh today were they store the parts and i was speaking with 1 of the security there, and he confirmed this to me..

link hammerd, type in coupe 60, and can some1 post pics, looks the sex

LOl, i got a flash of it before the link crashed...

Holden are on to us MAN, THEYRE ON TO US MAN!!!

lol, all these 2.5, 2.6ltr guys sticking up for nissan..

my uncle ownes a ve r8 manual.. yer he has money as why he just threw me the keys at the start of the year.. and let me just say, with only zorst, lowered its is one tuff sounding handling machine..

the next car i get will be a ve r8 manual, as itss worth every cent.. you cant knock them till you drive them, and drive them the proper way..

just the grunt under your ass, and the torque, lol im on a hard again..

dump first at 5k, then crack second gear after 2secs from the traffic lights leaves atleast 50 to 100 meters of straight lsd lines of heavy smoke...

they are so well made its a dream car to cruze with, go on long trips with, to drift in at the track, race, and have heaps of fun in...

all you narrow minded nissan guys living in a nissan bubble need to get out more, lol and interact with other cars.. i am a r32 rb20 lover and that will never change, but i still have dreams about the day i drove my uncles r8..

Chris,

We are not narrow minded. It narrow minded to think we are.

I can appreciate Holdens endeavors but face the beat ive been drumming the whole time - the 427 is overrated. Its STILL a commodore whether it leaves phat skidz or not.

No Commodore can ever justify the 170k pricetag except for within one country - Australia.

I suppose you would have me believe thats all that matters right?

The R8 is not the 427 and thankfully doesnt shoulder the hefty tag either despite the fact that it is a load of fun to punt.

Youve missed my point mate.

$55,000

but the change from normal 3-series coupe to M3 is fairly substantial: every external panel is different (carbon roof, too), before you even start on the mechanical changes

Thanx Shaun. Yes the M3 is a different animal as the 427 is but if were looking at pedigree its a "no contest".

The M3 - heck any M car - is a technological engineering tour de force.

Like ive said a dozen times already, how Holden thinks that can lob the 427 in the price range of these things has me stumped and slightly insulted.

Yes, its my opinion but im not alone in this.

haha awesome thread especially m3gtr's side of the argument

As for the original thread topic question in hand - HELL NO I would not pay that much for a Commodore.

lol, im only being passionate about what i know really. Discussions are always multi sided in many instances and i dont mind being part of a reasonable discussion as you would have it...

It's kind of ironic actually, my best mate is selling his modified VX SS because he bought a HR31, and I'm getting rid of my modified 5 litre in favour of the GTS4 that I recently bought, but then we've both owned our V8s for 3 years or so, they have their good points - for our styles of driving we both chose nissans in the end, but if say I wanted to go fast in straight lines or chase top speed, or get cheap power in general, the chev powered commodores really are unbeatable! In addition to that, throwing the VX into first whilst doing 50km/h and being tossed about the car like a ragdoll while leaving a trail of smoke and rubber was brilliant! Those gearboxes, while having the shift quality of a tractor, really can take a young man's thrashing in their stride!

I'd buy a W427, but the current VE range hardly makes me cream myself, especially when the dirty old VN can give the V8 ones a run for the money (gotta love a good power to weight ratio!)

Mate,

Where can you mention a place in Oz where you can do these things and feel safe doing them.

...... .. .. . ..

Thought so. This is something else that irks me but more on that later.

So. Power i also overrated. Skidz...well.ll...im not so sure about that - i have 4WD after all.

This is why i like my Forester so much. It has usable and PROPORTIONATE power. Great and practical all weather usage.

A mega KW road warrior is only worth bragging rights at the local watering hole in this day and age if youre honest with yourself.

Its almost as if HSV has to tell the world they have the answer to all your driving needs.

LOFL! It brings back the "game over" ad from the Monaro...ill never forget that one.

Remember, the 427 is based on a lowly VE...nothing worth creaming anything except a sundae.

Sorry for the multiple posts people////

Ive got a lot on my plate but this topic really has stirred the pot so ..anyway

Let the discussion continue i say.

what does me being a mod have to do with anything? i cant make a personal comment or contribute to the discussion because of my tag? also mind your language, that's not as a mod but as another person you would normally speak to.

all i'm saying is if you are unhappy with how GM/Holden/HSV run their business, then maybe bring it up with them. bitching about issues with peak oil, etc. here and not being proactive about it is equally as bad in my personal opinion.

i think it's well clear that you don't agree what's gone into it. neither do i but at the end of the day they are running a business and if they can make a profit out of it then why not?

Eug, sorry to be a bastard, ive got a slight lingering grudge against a coupla people on here - whats new - but yeah i can respect what youre saying as long as we respect each other admin or not.

Gm is in the shitter as you know - weve known for a long time. How they get themselves out of it is up to management but at present theyre not adressing GLOBAL issues.

For some daft reason - and remember this flows into the Aussi arm of the company - They still think bigger is better.

LOL

I guess they havent been reading the news or paying attention to any European and Japanese technological advancements!

Edited by m3gtr

I just wish Ford would get off their butt and give us a 2 door Falcon...The ones we had in the 70's are hot...If only they could do a modern version of that...What a dissappointment the Cobra GT was...Cobra was always a 2 door...just ordinary 4 door falc with stickers...