SAU Community

R32 Gtr, Mazda 6....

HI all,

Bit of a dilema,

Ive been looking at a s15 which are new decent on fuel and not to bad on insruance, only being about 20.

However now my parents want to sell me their mazda 6 2004 model for a very very good price, common senese says buy the mazda 6 wait a few years then get into the sports coupe.

However ive also considered the fact petrol will only go up, so im thinking live it up now, step it down after uni ect..

Any ideas thoughts, and whether a r32 GTR is too long in the tooth and unreliable due to age ect and s15 would be better ect

Thanks

HI all,

Bit of a dilema,

Ive been looking at a s15 which are new decent on fuel and not to bad on insruance, only being about 20.

However now my parents want to sell me their mazda 6 2004 model for a very very good price, common senese says buy the mazda 6 wait a few years then get into the sports coupe.

However ive also considered the fact petrol will only go up, so im thinking live it up now, step it down after uni ect..

Any ideas thoughts, and whether a r32 GTR is too long in the tooth and unreliable due to age ect and s15 would be better ect

Thanks

I wouldnt use an R32 as daily, i think S15 would be the wiser choice my friend

S15's fuel economy isn't that great compared to Skyline's. They average around 400km per tank, same as my R33 Gtst. Have a look over at NS.com and read through the fuel economy threads. Of course, mileage is always dictated by how heavy your right foot is.

Mazda all the way

After you finish uni, you'll have a job that will let you buy a R33/R34 GTR and then the associated fuel bill. So im going the other way in that get the car etc AFTER unit, not befo

R32 GTR - silly. Its not a car you buy on a budget, no GTR is really unless its 10000% factory and you dont touch it.

S15, whilst a good car, is still hefty on insurance.

2-door

Turbo

Sports

Late model

Your 20

etc etc. So insurance would (id imagine) be at LEAST double that of the Mazda 6 which is a 4-door medium sedan.

Buy your parents Mazda 6 at a good price...

Sell it. Go buy a GTR32 and its looks like you have a 31 so use that as your daily...

who cares about costs of fuel, if you have a daily.

Buy your parents Mazda 6 at a good price...

Sell it. Go buy a GTR32 and its looks like you have a 31 so use that as your daily...

who cares about costs of fuel, if you have a daily.

Yea, Well the price is very good, only done 27000 k's and 2004 model, could eat off the carpet!,

They said theyd sell it to me for 15k, worth 23k private, so yea, pretty good deal, way to good to pass up,

Sports car is for over 20, at my age its not feasible esp with fuel, possible but not practical..

Mazda 6 FTMFW! Best car I have ever owned.

Just as food for thought, I filled my Mazda 6 with a full tank last Tues and it cost me $98 from reserve. That tank got me a total of 432kms of city driving. Good luck doing that in a S15 or 32GTR.

Besides that, running a car isn't only fuel costs. Insurance and maintenance will also hurt the hip pocket. Mazda servicing is pretty damn good and in the 5 years I've owned my 6 (from new), it's only had a couple warranty claims which I think is pretty damn good.

I'm not sure what the insurance premium is on a 32GTR or a S15 for a 20 year old but I guarantee it'll be more than for a Mazda 6.

Mazda6 is a brilliant car, hence my dad had a 6 luxury sports, and loved it so much he upgraded to the MPS.

They handle brilliantly, and feel much faster than they actually are. Great fun car, with midsize practicality.

Get the Mazda6 then save for the GTR,

Thats what im doing, except replace Mazda6 with Alfa 156, and R32 GTR with R34 4 door (rb26 swap) once i finish uni and actually have some income to play with.

Its the only sensible choice when you bring insurace and petrol into the equation.

Hey! This is one of those battles eh, between one's HEART - and one's HEAD ??

Advantages of the Mazda:

i) you can focus on uni work instead of your car

ii) better on fuel

iii) you get experience in a FWD before switching eventually to RWD

iv) cheaper on insurance and you're getting it below market value too

v) you keep on good terms with your folks (and don't worry your Mom)

Disadvantages of the Mazda:

a) you might dream occasionally - even drool as you watch S15s and GTRs go by

b) you may find daily drives getting a bit boring as months tick by

c) spirited driving has to be measured

d) modifications are restricted (perhaps to sound system only)

e) it ain't no RWD turbo Nissan

Advantages of an S15 or R32

i) you feel the power

ii) you understand more about dynamics of suspension, cornering, braking, etc

iii) you have fun modifying

iv) it has its own in-built sound system (without knobs)

v) you attract friends (like us) - question is: you may need to develop selectivity

Disadvantages of an S15 or R32

a) insurance costs

b) once you get to taste what these cars can do, you'll want more at the end of uni - not less (unless you intend to marry real soon haha)

c) fuel costs

d) being careful where you park it

e) worrying your Mom

Looks like you'll go with your head for the time being eh?

Enjoy! AND STUDY HARD !

buy the mazda 6 , wait till you can afford to buy the right car for you (and run it) and also learn to drive in a atmo car.

Your parents are looking out for you and trying to make you lean into the right decision by offering it so low, trust me mate buy it, i wish i had listened to my parents persusions but oh well you live and learn.

Mazda 6 FTMFW! Best car I have ever owned.

Just as food for thought, I filled my Mazda 6 with a full tank last Tues and it cost me $98 from reserve. That tank got me a total of 432kms of city driving. Good luck doing that in a S15 or 32GTR.

Besides that, running a car isn't only fuel costs. Insurance and maintenance will also hurt the hip pocket. Mazda servicing is pretty damn good and in the 5 years I've owned my 6 (from new), it's only had a couple warranty claims which I think is pretty damn good.

I'm not sure what the insurance premium is on a 32GTR or a S15 for a 20 year old but I guarantee it'll be more than for a Mazda 6.

i get that mileage from my 32 r always over 400 k a tank 85 - 95 to fill and mine is fairly stock 307 hp @all 4 wheels

I'm 20, at uni, and drive a skyline thats modified and spend every pay cheque on the car. If i can do it so can you :D It's fun, every time you go out you can't buy anything cause you remember you just spent all your money on Nengun and on forum traders........hmmm maybe you should buy the mazda lol.

my gtr also drank around the same.. use to get 450k to a tank... 412hp @ all 4 lol

forgot to add.. i live in the city so city drivin is all it ever did :D

Edited by Bumblebee