SAU Community

Best Asian Restaurants In Melb?

Mean_R34

i know im gonna cop it for this

But...

Rock Kung is nothing to get excited about. The BBQ Pork was great, but the rest was fairly average in my book. I don't get excited about places that only have one decent dish.

Duck could have been much better, as with a few other things that came out. Ive had better duck elsewhere, just gotta try workout where it was.

Was good, and cheap, however price reflects somewhat.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the best i've had but value for money Japanese: Samurai on Glenferrie road. $14 will get you a drink, soup, entree and a main. Bargin price for good grub. I'm a massive fan of Vietnamese food but I'm yet to have anything stand-out in Melbourne. Eaten at nearly everywhere along Victoria St, but keen to keep on sampling :D

Dragon Boat in Knox is fantastic... had the Wagyu Beef with their homemade Wasabi sauce... omg i almost orgasmed. Although it should technically give me one seeing as it was $45 for 250g.

Still, even the appetisers were awesome...

"lau's family kitchen" in acland street just behind the prince of wales.

my g/f works there and the food is amazing - especially for the price.

its owned by Gilbert Lau (ex owner and founder of the flowerdrum) and his 2 sons and has the old flowerdrum chef's from back in the day when it was a 5 hat restaurant.

there are 2 sittings - 6 and 8 and you definately need to book in advance :D

if you have a large group - longgrain is awesome. i'm the sous chef @ cosi and we had our christmas party there last year (and again this year)

the way they catered for 30 severely alcoholic hospitality staff was nothing short of amazing.... cant wait for this year!

if you really wanna spend up then i'd say ezards.

or for a little less and amazing value (read still bloody expensive, i said good VALUE) matteo's in brunswick st

i worked there for 6 months and the food is just mindblowing. Brendan McQueen is the head chef and was previously the head chef @ Ezard for 5 years!

the degustation menu is 8 courses (normally served as 4 x 2courses) and with wine matching will only run you around $150 a head.

probably my fav restaurant in melb... even after being a chef there (and any chef will tell you that's not common)

well vue du monde is really my fav... but i cant go bombing nearly 1k a head that often.... jesus, that's a new diff if i take the g/f! :D

I didnt grow up in melbourne, but everywhere I've had peking duck (brisbane, sydney, adelaide) they always make 3 things with it. I was always told that duck is brought to life 3 times, or some such shit, and whenever peking duck was ordered they would ask what else you wanted it in, i.e you could get peking duck, the rest of the duck in fried rice, and then the bones in soup. But I cant find anywhere here that does it. When I ask they just look at me like I'm stupid, haha. I went to pacific house tonight and they didnt know what I was talking about (food was nice though). Has anyone who grew up here heard of this? Is there anywhere that does it?

i just saw the post about a place in collingwood, but I mean is it uncommon for places to serve it in this fashion?

Best duck in Melb. is at Old Kingdom no where else compares even Flower Drum and Silks arn't as good. Old Kingdom specialize is Peking duck.

If you want something more high class though, Glen Waverly eating strip has some very classy joints.

am i missing some e-sarcasm?? Glen W. eating strip = shite -

i can see what they're TRYING to go for, but most places are just epic fail.

"lau's family kitchen" in acland street just behind the prince of wales.

my g/f works there and the food is amazing - especially for the price.

its owned by Gilbert Lau (ex owner and founder of the flowerdrum) and his 2 sons and has the old flowerdrum chef's from back in the day when it was a 5 hat restaurant.

there are 2 sittings - 6 and 8 and you definately need to book in advance :

if you have a large group - longgrain is awesome. i'm the sous chef @ cosi and we had our christmas party there last year (and again this year)

the way they catered for 30 severely alcoholic hospitality staff was nothing short of amazing.... cant wait for this year!

lau's is great!! but from memory i thought it was fairly pricey? haven't eaten there for a little while though...

yes, long grain is very nice too

if you really wanna spend up then i'd say ezards.

or for a little less and amazing value (read still bloody expensive, i said good VALUE) matteo's in brunswick st

i worked there for 6 months and the food is just mindblowing. Brendan McQueen is the head chef and was previously the head chef @ Ezard for 5 years!

the degustation menu is 8 courses (normally served as 4 x 2courses) and with wine matching will only run you around $150 a head.

probably my fav restaurant in melb... even after being a chef there (and any chef will tell you that's not common)

well vue du monde is really my fav... but i cant go bombing nearly 1k a head that often.... jesus, that's a new diff if i take the g/f! :)

I had the best barramundi, no, more like the best fish dish of my life at Ezards. And also walked out with a bottle of their garlic and parmesan infused olive oil at the end too :D

have not tried matteo's, must remember that.

Had dinner at Bistro Vue last Friday. Food was excellent and not exorbitant either, $141 for 2 ppl. Although my French is somewhat lacking :)

Have yet to try Vue Du Monde

Dragon Boat in Knox is fantastic... had the Wagyu Beef with their homemade Wasabi sauce... omg i almost orgasmed. Although it should technically give me one seeing as it was $45 for 250g.

Still, even the appetisers were awesome...

Geez! Must be good! Lol.

Before they sold it and left Buddha's Banquet on Swan Street in Richmond was best Pad Thai hands down - and believe me I eat it at every chance.

It was run by two hilarious Thai girls, always covered in jewelery hair and makeup done - very loud. Please anyone if you have seen them let me know!! I would kill for some of that Pad Thai again - used to eat it 3 - 4 times a week.

They sold up and moved and it just went back to run of the mill.

KEEP AN EYE OUT!

Best duck in Melb. is at Old Kingdom no where else compares even Flower Drum and Silks arn't as good. Old Kingdom specialize is Peking duck.

Silks is way too expensive for what you get.

Edited by Phatboy

Two great, lesser-known places that are cheap for 1st-class food

1. Dainty Sichuan Restaurant (walk up Chinatown from the Russel St intersection and turn left when you hit the private car park).

The best place for authentic sichuan (spicy as hell) food in Melbourne that I have been. Better than Spicy Fish (cnr Swanstwon and Chinatown, although their dumplins are quite nice).

2. J-Cafe

Corner Exhibition and... something else (near the theatres). Their specialties that I can really recommend are the very nice sushi burgers (try the soft-shell crab), divine fish roe mentai soup, and salmon chirasi salad.

1. Dainty Sichuan Restaurant (walk up Chinatown from the Russel St intersection and turn left when you hit the private car park).

The best place for authentic sichuan (spicy as hell) food in Melbourne that I have been. Better than Spicy Fish (cnr Swanstwon and Chinatown, although their dumplins are quite nice).

issat the real seedy looking joint thats upstairs down the end of the alley way?

Guys if your ever in East Bentleigh you gotta try Wangs Chinese Take away. THey've been there for over 20 years and have the best San chow bow (Check spelling lol) iv'e ever had!!!!! They kick ass..

It's a tiny little place that has the feeling of being in a Cinder Block jail cell but the food is unbelievable. You can have the biggest feed for 2 for $50.

I highly recommend.

+1 Old kingdom has awesome duck - only problem is the restaurant is quite cramped.

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread VS making a new one for a reposted topic?

Chun Po in Malvern does great duck, tuesday night a thin layer of fat though, tonights had none. Very good amount of meat, nice skin. Singapore noodles are great, prawns seemed nice(better than those damn shrimp you get in glenny!). Good Service. Few reviews on the wall when you walk in the door that would suggest they do better with the critics than Rock Kung. Should be okay for 2-4 people walk in early in the week, book later in the week.

18 Glenferrie Rd Malvern VIC 3144 - (03) 9509 9624

Open Mon-Thu 12pm-3:30pm, 5:30pm-10:30pm; Fri-Sun 12pm-3:30pm, 5:30pm-11pm