SAU Community

What's A "tuner"?

blind_elk

I see a lot of threads "need a tuner". What do you people mean when you ask for a tuner?

Being a bit old-school, a tuner to me is someone who will know how to read spark plugs, can adjust fuel mixtures on carbies, play with timing, etc.

Given that you can't generally fiddle with the (OEM) ECU, so you can't adjust fuel mixtures, and you can't adjust timing (you can make gross changes by adjusting the CAS), I see little point for a "tuner" in these days of "the computer controls everything".

Thoughts, comments, etc welcome.

An elusive creature that isn’t easily found amongst the horde of pseudo-tuners or pretenders, when you find a good one, don’t let them go!!!

Well most people requesting a tuner most likely have engine management that can be played with, so needing a tune is applicable.

People that say they need a tune with stock ECU aren’t going to get much done in essence, just a timing check and look here and there.

Tuner = person who tunes the aftermarket ECU in my car

Some tuners are also mechanically minded (do mechnic style work), other tuners just tune ECU's exclusively and shouldnt be allowed to change spark plugs should something fall into the cyclinder...

Fully aware that a good tuner is an absolute "must have" for an aftermarket / programmable ECU (like my Wolf).

This is the thread that really prompted me to start this thread.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Fi...Me-t233491.html

It's not clear whether or not this guy has a programmable ECU. If not, then there seem to be a "horde of pseudo-tuners or pretenders" willing to offer advice on the subject.

ROLF! :down:

Some tuners are also mechanically minded (do mechnic style work), other tuners just tune ECU's exclusively and shouldnt be allowed to change spark plugs should something fall into the cyclinder...

BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAa

PHEAR TEH LSB

car "tuners" in australia are in general a bunch of charlatans who take your money for tinkering with your ECU and boost controller. Most of them have no mechanical knowledge or background, simply know how to work a lappy, a serial port (or USB these days), know how to edit an AFR map and may have access to a dyno.

A good tuner is someone who has the mechanical know how to get a car running 100% safe and sound before he even starts programing anything electronic. I've seen cars taken to "tuners" who can't even diagnose a vacuum leak.

Too many cowboys in the market with a six shooter but no horse.

Either find an electronics "tuner" who works at a mechanic shop (so they can rely on a mechanic to fix your car properly) or find a tuner who knows his way around an engine bay at least.