SAU Community

New 2.8 Engine Build Help Wanted.

Howdy..

About to build a new engine for my gtr33 over the winter here in Japan and was after info and opinions on parts to use. I can get hold of a brand new N1 R34 block dirt cheap thru a friends tuning shop. I was looking at HKS to do the build using forged internals, probably their (Step 2) 2.8 litre kit.

Ok question is ..is it worth me grabbing this fresh block or have them pull down my motor (standard) RB26 and build that up from scratch. Its just been on the dyno and is making just under 400PS on 10psi. They reckon the Step2 kit should make up to 800ps with right cams ,turbo setup.

What I'm after is a strong 600ps capable street and occaisonal track engine, with the focus of it being streetable. The Step2 kit is supposed to be making 800ps at 9000rpm, just wondering what turbo setup would be sweet, I want to retain twin setup. I want to keep it around the 600ps mark and have the bottom end sorted if the power bug bites again.

Originally we were going to leave bottom end as is and put GTSS turbo's, new cams 264degree IN & 264 EX. , HKS 280L/H fuel pump, HKS 600cc injectors, metal head gasket..etc and go for safe tune of a around 500ps @ 13psi but this other new N1 block came up today and I've definitely got the power bug so was after a setup for a good streetable 600ps without heaps of lag..

So after all that suppose my questions simplified are..

Use my block or go the new N1 R34 block at bargain price... (my engine was tested and compression is all real good, engine only done 60,000k's and been looked after)

What turbo setup to go with, prfer HKS as get discount.

What cam setup and shouls I go larger injectors.

Any help or reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind this car will be sent back to Oz next year as personal import. Also gearbox will be getting the once over as well..

Mods so far

High flow HKS cat

Full HKS Cat back large bore exhaust

HKS 700HPmax Intercooler

FCON V PRO

NISMO Copper Twin Clutch

ACPT Carbon fibre one piece tailshaft (about to be installed)

HKS twin Pod filters

Nismo Fuel pressure regulator.

Nismo Aluminium Radiator.

Standard Turbo's

HKS Twin Power Ignition System

HKS Adjustable cam gears

definitely new block and a 2.8 litre stroker with 2530 hks turbos would be more than enough for 700hp; plus the extra capacity will produce a very responsive package.

definitely post up your progress when you begin!!!

good luck!

Yeah I was pretty much sold on the package when I got the call today to come check out the block..I was originally gunna go the GTSS turbo way as good power and real torquey but drove a friends car at the track a few weeks back with that package Merli described and was hooked and have been weighing up stroking my block. N1 block is good deal so reckon thats the best base to work from for sure..

If you can get it so cheap - definatly get it! At the end of the day its going to be a better start point for you project.

But here's something that may not have come to mind yet; You can get the N1 block/motor and have the bottom end all machined and built whole you still have a working motor in your car - so your car isnt off the road for long :D In addition to that ofcourse, if you can find a cheap head you can do the head at the same time.....what will you do as far as headwork goes?

i would go the N1 block, with the S2 2.8 kit. get the head ported while it's out and get some cams in there too. HKS 2530s are a really good match on a HKS 2.8. they are good on the 2.6 but great on the 2.8. it will give you the 600odd PS you want easily but without being a 'lazy' set-up. add a decent oil pump and enlarged sump too.

you will love it. :D I've been in a couple HKS 2.8s in japan and they are a really good motor when done properly. ;)

Cheers fellas

Off to pay for the block now!! Wont be able to pick it up until after the weekend as going to the WRC Japan tomorrow thru sunday and my mates racing out at Tokachi all weekend.

Spent the day out at HKS working out the basis for the build up.

Ordered up the Step 2 2.8kit. Pick up the N1 block on friday and drop it back to HKS on sat for bore and prepping for rebuild.Cant wait to see the misso"s face when she sees it in the living room. No way it will be in the shed, we've got rain and snow forecasted for next few days..

I know the blokes pretty well at HKS here and buggers keep pushing for big hp build but I'll be happy with 600ps give or take as long as its responsive and strong.

Should have a list of goodies to be ordered by the weekend, wish it was in oz dollars going by the exchange rate. Definitely gunna need a new money tree after it all but you only live once. Head work so far we're looking at just a mild port and polish but cams and cam wheels definitely..any feed back on this would be appreciated..e.g head work or any other goodies..

Anyway the build begins...

Edited by elrodeo666

Its being done at HKS here in Sapporo..they are pretty on the ball and have been in personal rides of theirs which are pretty awesome machines. you could eat your dinner off there workshop floor the place is so clean. But seriously from all reports here in the car scene they do meticulous work, plus supposedly their mechanics have to pass full on exams before being considered by HKS.

Hopefully I'll post up some pics of the progress. Hoping to get it done in time for Auto salon next jan and do a trip down to Tokyo.

Theres going to be big Drift event here next jan or feb, cant remember but its supposed to be a first time event in the snow..be some very big drifting. You'd be suprised how much traction you can get in the snow..the express ways after they have been snow cleared and with dusting of snow are like flat concrete, you can absolutely fly...downside is the ice, can be lethal. Of all the cars I've driven in the snow the GTR kicks arse, you feel so safe and in control when outta control..

Lining up the tailshaft to go in next week..been flat out f#@k and been waiting on some other parts which I pickup with the block..

Yep looking forward to the build..

Spent the day out at HKS working out the basis for the build up.

Ordered up the Step 2 2.8kit. Pick up the N1 block on friday and drop it back to HKS on sat for bore and prepping for rebuild.Cant wait to see the misso"s face when she sees it in the living room. No way it will be in the shed, we've got rain and snow forecasted for next few days..

I know the blokes pretty well at HKS here and buggers keep pushing for big hp build but I'll be happy with 600ps give or take as long as its responsive and strong.

Should have a list of goodies to be ordered by the weekend, wish it was in oz dollars going by the exchange rate. Definitely gunna need a new money tree after it all but you only live once. Head work so far we're looking at just a mild port and polish but cams and cam wheels definitely..any feed back on this would be appreciated..e.g head work or any other goodies..

Anyway the build begins...

yep mild porting and polish and some cams and gears will be just perfect. if your tuner is comfortable working with it, maybe consider HKS V-cam too. been in 2 cars with it now and I was pretty impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent all of last sunday out at HKS working with the guys on a plan for the build up for motor and car and been flat out since so havent had a chance to get back on this.

Yep beer Baron we talked heaps about the V Cam setup and cam setups and head work..They have lined me up with similar power output GTR34 to go for a drive in this saturday to have a suss..

Basically the guys were reccomending a cam setup of inlet 272°and outlet of 264° and exhaust of 264° to match the Step 2 (2.8) setup and HKS 2530s turbos. The only concern they have is that Japan has cracked down on its emissions test and they reckon this would be 50/50 on a pass but also Torque wouldnt hit in until 3500rpm.. The emissions for rego here is no probs as still plenty of guys here where the old slab on the back seat works magic. Serious side, getting it passed is no probs as my last (shakken) rego I was running straight thru pipe instead of high flow cat and passed sweet as thru my mates tuner shop. By the way high flow Hks cat now installed.

My biggest concern and theirs too, is if the car is being sent to Oz would it pass inspection with this setup. It is definitely going to be private import, I have even gone to the extent of limiting hold to only 3 weeks ouuta the kuntry in the last 18 months to make sure it gets in. I dont wanna sentd it all modified then go thru the bullshit of having everything changed back for compliance. If that does happen I have kept everything that has been taken off just in case..

Anyway back to crux of the story..So this is where the VCam got thrown about. They reckon it rocks. The main mechanic was saying basically they use a cam of 248° intake or about that, cant remember..and exhaust 264°. The intake gives a pretty standard idle and will pass emissoinds with flying colours but hit 2-2500 revs and the Torque kicks in like a mule and climbs and stays right thru the rev range where as the 270/264 setup will peak and then dropp off and the high rev end.. Yep its extra 4,500 - 5000 grand but sounds the go. I want a real torquey car to drive and trying to build a package that when the car sells the potential buyer has a real wicked little munster under the pedal but is still sweet to drive around town. They were recomending Vcam Step B for this build, there seems to be a few different types and go up over the 6k mark.

What I'm wondering is anyone in Oz using these ??? If so how are they finding them. They really seem to be the dutch guts over here but being pretty exxy not alot of crew have the setup.

As for motor etc I'm back out at HKS on saturday for test drive and then go thru everything I'll need to get for the build and then hand over chunk of coin and order up the parts. Its pretty interesting here in japan in the fact of doiung a build like this they want to go thru every little detail with you before I can give them the block. Where as in oz it would be drop the block off , give some coin and order some parts and let the build begin.. Here its done the japanese way and defintiely as spending a chunk of coin your treated with f*kk japanese respect/kata..

Anyway what I'm going to do is start a separate post for the build with pics, write up and vids..boys at HKS are sweet with this..but I'd like to keep this thread going for any info on the VCAM...

I'd be more tham happy for any input or reccomendations from people on the build here or on new post when I start it next week, I'd really appreciate the input...

cheers..

p.s pics soon