SAU Community

The Defected Thread...

Cubes

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Vu

That is one seriously clean looking 33

and WTF illegal air filter....as far as i know all air filters are legal

what is illegal about them? they dont change anything specially as the AFM controls the flow and stuff

lol the thing is, a standard skyline straight from Japan will generally not pass regency even after compliance, i know when mine came over i had a few pages of stuff that regency wouldnt allow, generally speaking the mods are the easiest part.

the other thing is they want standard factory setting in height.

but they dont factor in that springs sag after 10 or more years.

all the cars i have put through went through with stock suspension and was too low.

had to find suspension that the stock springs were stretched and was 10-20mm above height. but as usual you have to make your car to high and make it unstable to pass. this isnt safe but thats what they want. they want your car to be unsafe but to be what ever the hell they say on paper.

they didnt even know that the early xe and xf falcon as well as the uc torana come out in a factory turbo option. they are australian cars so how the hell are they gunna know about imports if they dont even know their own???

the other thing is they want standard factory setting in height.

but they dont factor in that springs sag after 10 or more years.

all the cars i have put through went through with stock suspension and was too low.

had to find suspension that the stock springs were stretched and was 10-20mm above height. but as usual you have to make your car to high and make it unstable to pass. this isnt safe but thats what they want. they want your car to be unsafe but to be what ever the hell they say on paper.

they didnt even know that the early xe and xf falcon as well as the uc torana come out in a factory turbo option. they are australian cars so how the hell are they gunna know about imports if they dont even know their own???

i agree.

majority of imports are modified to IMPROVE handling, not hinder it, thus making them safer to drive then about 90% of shit boxes on the road that arent imports.

but it seems making your car safer to drive is the problem.

you make a good point about handling Tim, only problem is, most imports are way too stiff in the suspension department and the slightest ripple in a fast bend can get messy, not to mention hard straight line braking over an undulating surface is useless if your wheels are not making full contact with the black stuff.

Pity they don't spend more on the roads to improve them with all the money Regency is making these days.

true, but the suspension in imports makes it easier to get out of situations like that, compared to a commodore that handles like a boat, once you get the full weight of a commodore spinning there is no way to get it under control.

i agree.

majority of imports are modified to IMPROVE handling, not hinder it, thus making them safer to drive then about 90% of shit boxes on the road that arent imports.

but it seems making your car safer to drive is the problem.

i wouldnt be so sure, a lot of the cheaper coilovers, especially jap spec ones ive seen, and especially when they drop the car really low, i would say they are at a point where they hinder performance, they make the car more predictable beyond the tyre limits, but on a lot of roads the firmness reduces traction and can make the car less predictable within the tyre limits.

saying that, most standard suspension, especially the shocks die over time, my R31 has f**ked shocks and the thing is a death trap lol, rides lower than my 32 and it still has standard suspension, just f**ked, but id never get a 2nd look from a cop.

also ted, u have to understand, cops dont think like u and i, they think a standard car is perfect, anything that makes the car less safe is obviously a problem, but anything that makes the car handle better, stop faster, or have more traction means that ur hooning.

like ive said before, ive been defected before for tyres being too wide (225's, standard is 205), when i asked what the problem with increasing the traction of the vehicle the officer replied "improving ur car tells me that ur hooning the car"

that was after me intially telling him that the tyre size was actually quite legal and that id been through regency with 225 tyres before.

true, but the suspension in imports makes it easier to get out of situations like that, compared to a commodore that handles like a boat, once you get the full weight of a commodore spinning there is no way to get it under control.

this is true, but the boat like handling of the commie also makes it a lot more forgiving, meaning it is less likely to snap into an out of control situation like a car with really stiff suspension, there is more warning with forgiving suspension.

for a car that isnt meant to be driven to the limits and beyond all the time, the softer suspension is more ideal, saying that it means when it does get into a bit of strife it wont be as easy to control.

nah, caster rods are legal, pretty sure rose joints are allowed, but they cannot be the grease nipple kind (which im pretty sure not many are), ive been through rose jointed caster rods a few times now.

Just reading back from the thread,

My car is currently awaiting its 2nd inspection and im looking for 2 parts.

1. tie rod ends

2. castor rod bushes

I've called regency 2 times so far and both said rose jointed stuff is illegal. I made a mention of grease nipple type which one of the operators said that they will double check and then came back saying no not allowed either way.

So my question is, what can i get to replace the tie rod ends and castor rod bushes that is definately legal? i.e. what brand/type of stuff have people been through with and were passed with as regency information centre is as reliable as a cheap chinese dildo.

Also worth mentioning is that I've already talked to few import places and no one can get new factory tie rod ends so it seems.

front tint must be 70% or over, and hicas lock bar must be engineered to pass, or standard functioning hicas system must be fitted. Regardless if anyone has been through with them legal or illegal, its best to be safe rather than sorry.

can tint be removed yourself? or should i take it back to where i got it tinted.

also, my diff is welded. but its been in for at least a year now and it doesnt clunk anymore - meaning both wheels dont spin like they use to. how and can they check that?

Edited by Nozila

can tint be removed yourself? or should i take it back to where i got it tinted.

also, my diff is welded. but its been in for at least a year now and it doesnt clunk anymore - meaning both wheels dont spin like they use to. how and can they check that?

With the tint its easy to remove, i left my car out in the hot sun for a few hours then just peeled it of, then used metho to remove the stuff that is left behind.

front tint must be 70% or over, and hicas lock bar must be engineered to pass, or standard functioning hicas system must be fitted. Regardless if anyone has been through with them legal or illegal, its best to be safe rather than sorry.

so it needs to be 70% and above. so rear quarters and back window tint doesnt matter?

70 % on driver and passenger door windows

35% on the ones behind driver

none on windscreen

And Hicas MUST be working and engineered if removed.

Edit: locked diff MAY be okay if it doesn't clunk and stuff. But there has been reports of people getting through with locked diff's.

Edited by CRoNic...