SAU Community

The Defected Thread...

Cubes

preiss

having been through regency a few times, what have you left aftermarket and what have you put back to standard. saying that, when was the last time you went there - touch wood.

I last visited lovely regency about 6 weeks ago.

I had alot of engine stuff I had to put to standard.

Z32 Air flow metre.

Power FC had to be taken out.

Greddy EBC taken out. and not in the cabin in sight.

HICAS lock bar taken out.

cusco castor rods. tie rods etc.

Ive got a oil cooler. that was fine.

the Blitz Intercooler is fine.

HKS pod was fine. as long as its secure.

A couple other little things I cant think of.

I put standard suspension in.

Was worried about my exhaust but it was fine.

q1.

i got done for my ebc the other day. but at the time my car was lowered and i had a race seat, tinted windows which didnt get put onto the paper. my question is, as i have to go to the cop shop within the hrs they let me drive it. could they possible put another defect sticker on when they see the car again. although i guess it wont matter since i have to go to regency.

q2.

another question is, when i do go to the cop shop is it a given that i will be able to drive the car around until my appointment with regency or is it up to the officers discretion. and do i have to pay for the defect at the cop shop or just the fee when i go to regency?

im a total defect noob.

if you are going to regency they will generally check that you have fixed what you were defected for and let regency deal with the rest.

Cop shop only signs the back part of the form allowing you to drive the car up untill your appointment. All fees are paid at regency.

Q1. nah.

Q2. You can go to the cop shop and show them the initial defect paper and what you got done for. If you have fixed what is on the initial defect notice the cop can check the list off and you can drive it till your regency appointment.

Provided you have made a regency appointment.

i just had a look over my car. i noticed that the parcel tray where the battery sits is sort of rusted, can i just spray paint it and it would wont get a second look? also, the spare tyre. does it need to be in? also, did you guys go through with your amp and wiring etc etc i read in this section somewhere its best not to have it in the car at all at the time of inspection.

and rear brake light? i got a stealth spoiler hence no brake light as i would have if i had my series 2 spoiler on. would i need one? also, my in cabin boot release dont seem to work anymore, would that be a problem?

and rear brake light? i got a stealth spoiler hence no brake light as i would have if i had my series 2 spoiler on. would i need one? also, my in cabin boot release dont seem to work anymore, would that be a problem?

you definetly need a eye level brake light mate, if not hook one up in the back window but make sure you cut the tint away that it will be going on, my in cabin boot release didnt work when i went through regency, when he went to pull the lever it didnt work and he said "did you disconnect so theifs couldnt open it" i said "yes" and i passed regency first time

also make sure you got child restraints in the back parcel shelf fitted

i thought you would need a brake light. as for child restraint, i need to source one as i removed mine and cant locate it anymore. wasnt it just one metal bracket or was it two metal brackets?

ovrtym33

were you in the inspection bay with the inspector or were you sitting in a waiting room? was this recent or a while back?

Edited by Nozila

i thought you would need a brake light. as for child restraint, i need to source one as i removed mine and cant locate it anymore. wasnt it just one metal bracket or was it two metal brackets?

i went to the compliance place right next door to Japanese Import Spares and had new one's fitted for $140 they ended up putting three in, left-middle-right that went through the factory speaker covers

guys,

has anyone been through regency with a hicas lock bar and front driver/passenger tint on their skyline?

And Hicas MUST be working and engineered if removed.

Edit: locked diff MAY be okay if it doesn't clunk and stuff. But there has been reports of people getting through with locked diff's.

correct about the HICAS, i have been through the bs with it all. i ended up putting the standard system back in, and locked it with washers (PM if ur wanna know how). the only issue was since my lines were looped, so my lines only went back half way.

it passed, but im not sure how hard the inspector looked at them. and obviously they dont check as to whether it works as they cant.

its a grey area as to whether ites allowed or not, it will come down to the inspector, as there are 2 issues there, firstly with a lock bar you are relying on a non-standard part with un-engineered welds, so it is an un-engineered part which "could fail". 2ndly there is the issue of not having the hicas working, we all know how shit the hicas is, but to regency that doesnt matter, apparently since the car was designed to have 4WS, it needs to have 4WS and that if it doesnt it is a safety risk. if anyone goes and asks nissan (regency, major crash investigation etc etc), nissan will say its there for a reason and that it not being there is a safety issue.

now of course there is the issue that lower spec models didnt even come with hicas, so realistically its just all bs, but thats how it works (that was all according to a suspension engineer i talked to about it)

but it also brings up another point, u can just put in a non-hicas subframe, either a S13 or low spec R32 etc, im currently running a S13 sub-frame with a custom toe rod setup, i havnt been through regency with it yet, but i will find out what they think later next month.

as far as the locked diff, they will probably notice it when u drive in, and obviously its illegal.

Just reading back from the thread,

My car is currently awaiting its 2nd inspection and im looking for 2 parts.

1. tie rod ends

2. castor rod bushes

I've called regency 2 times so far and both said rose jointed stuff is illegal. I made a mention of grease nipple type which one of the operators said that they will double check and then came back saying no not allowed either way.

So my question is, what can i get to replace the tie rod ends and castor rod bushes that is definately legal? i.e. what brand/type of stuff have people been through with and were passed with as regency information centre is as reliable as a cheap chinese dildo.

Also worth mentioning is that I've already talked to few import places and no one can get new factory tie rod ends so it seems.

mm interesting, i dunno, pretty bloody inconsistant, although ive found that calling them up they tend to be more strict, they tend to have the attitude that everything is illegal, i guess its so when they get in there people dont say oh i was told this on the phone ra ra ra.

Yep - size of the rim cannot exceed 2" from what's on your tyre placard... so, say, Skylines came out stock with 16" rims... you can have any type of 17" mag on there and get though BUT the width of the tyre must not exceed more than 10mm from that's on the tyre placard (pretty sure it's 10mm or 25mm...)

Brake test is when they put your car on rollers, get to a certain speed (pretty sure it's 60k's) and either rip up the handbrake (that's what they did in my car!) or slam on the pedal brake. The car must stop within a certain amount of time. Slotted rotors are fine... but if you have massive rotors, you might not be able to put a smaller rim on to pass Regency!

not 100% sure about the 2" thing, i know that used to be the law, but im pretty sure these days it runs on overall rolling diametre, but not many cops really know about it (bit like most defect laws really). would be worth calling regency about that one.