SAU Community

Buying A Helmet

vidospace

OK just getting into doing some track days and I obviously need to get a helmet.

Now I have seen everything from $40 second hand motorbike helmets to $650 + helmets.

I am really looking for a open face type helmet but want something that I can use at any club level events without any dramas. My question is does the helmet just need to be ADR approved? What about CAMs approval? Its hard to know with second hand helmets.

Note this helmet will only be used for track days, not for full on comps. I am interested in entering SuperLap next year though.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whatever you do, don't buy a second hand helmet like you mentioned in your post.

As said before, spend more than $40 on your head, if you are on a tight budget then try to go for something above the minimum spend like $100-$300.

Anything ADR approved will be ok for club level events, but definitely buy something brand new.

ERG have reasonably priced helmets, so do Bell and Arai.

Just found a link on the net, typed in ERG helmets into google and found a nice open face helmet for only $349.00 Snell approved so it meets very high QA standards.

link: http://www.mmsport.com.au/ERG_Helmets.php

Edited by nismoman

there it is again - "is Snell, is good"

there is serious evidence to suggest that the current Snell standards which require the helmet to withstand multiple high energy impacts to the same area, where even the first impact may not have been survivable, results in helmets that are too stiff and therefore result in higher accelleration to the head in normal survivable impacts, potentially increasing the risk or severity of brain injury. The softer AS helmets will be safer in almost all real world impacts. Particularly for people driving cars who don't have to worry about flying head first into gutters and square edges of cars and trucks and stuff. Read the link in my previous post.

Not trying to sound like were ganging up on you Nismoman but I also wouldn't run an open face helmet.

I'm not that pretty and certainly can't afford to get uglier if i have an acco becasue i've left the front half of my head is exposed.

While you may avoid a direct face plant into the steering wheel by running harnesses you can still be cut up by shit flying about in a decent acco.

Not trying to sound like were ganging up on you Nismoman but I also wouldn't run an open face helmet.

I'm not that pretty and certainly can't afford to get uglier if i have an acco becasue i've left the front half of my head is exposed.

While you may avoid a direct face plant into the steering wheel by running harnesses you can still be cut up by shit flying about in a decent acco.

No I totally understand. I pasted the link to an open face helmet because the original poster of this topic had a preference for open face.

I personally run an open face helmet but that was because I bought it when I started rallying as a navigator and the Terra trip intercom system/microphone attached well to the open face design.

I also had to ensure my helmet met Snell standards and FIA standards in order to comply with the safety requirements of national CAMS events. Which is why I didn't buy a $40 helmet that only met ADR rules.

Now that I'm doing circuit type events my next helmet will be a full face design.

Easy.

Buy a helmet with HANS posts and a HANS device.

Open or closed face, whatever floats your boat.

Open face are lighter, therefore you would think less chance of a neck injury without HANS........

"you can still be cut up by shit flying about in a decent acco.".... that's gonna be a big acco, hope it's caged and everything too!

• 3 months later...

Helmets only last 5 years from the date of manufacture. You will probably find that the $40 helmets are expired, more then 5 years old

the fit of the helmet is the most important thing, try different brands and see what fits you best and talk to the ppl at the shop they know how its supposed to fit

• 1 month later...

just wondering if you guys know about RJAYS helmet, a budget helmet company, theyre only around $100-$500 brand new which is really cheap compared to agv, arai and bell.. well, im looking for a cams approved one and i want to minimise budget as long as they are safety and cams approved.. cheers

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.

The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).

The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.

The impact tests and excessive max G force discussed inthat article are the same in the SA standard. You can see the standards for yourself here: http://www.smf.org/stds.html

Edited by hrd-hr30

Buy a helmet designed for cars racing not motorbikes. Best to go to a race shop like Revolution Racegear and negotiate a better price than the one listed.

I helmet for car racing is lighter, this means less load on your neck when you hit something. Also the inside material is flame resistant where as motor bike helmets are not.

I have a OMP Helmet, cost about $1000 but is awesome compared to the motorbike helmets I use to have.

Ashly

• 3 months later...

Bought myself a Bell helmet from Revolution Racegear last year. No complaints although of course it would have been nice if the cost was a little less.

Even though it'll be a bit more expensive, I recommend going to a store and trying on a range of different helmets. Correct fit is very important for safety and comfort!

Very interesting link there hrd-hr30! I got down to about 20% of it before I had to take a break. Heavy read, no doubt, but in the best interest of our own health we should all take the time to read it if we are considering motorsport.

Who knows? Maybe the RTA's next raise of the safety standards would be that everyone in every car, bus, taxi, train and ferry will have to wear a helmet, just to be safe.

Driver education? What for!? Forking out more money in more repetitive tests should be good enough...

I just bought this bad boy...thnk it was about $350 or so...really nice helmet once it loosened up a tad.

MAGNUM_MUGELLO_L3_4.png

It was a bit of a shotgun purchase as i have my own helmet design that i want to get so should have bought a plain white Bell / Shoei or something...which reminds me. Anyone know a place that does reasonable priced airbrushing of helmets? While i am away and dont need one it woudl be great to get one and have it painted up