SAU Community

First Batch Of Nissan R35's For Australia

you guys picking up your new R35's better bring them on skyline cruises so we can all experience driving with the new Godzilla,

Have an awesome time with the cars fellas, take plenty of pics (even if you feel like a douce), because we all want to see them.

PS. I envy all of you, lol, i'll chop off my left leg for an R35 (left leg because you dont need it anymore to drive the gtr lol)

Keep an eye out in the Hills, I know of 2 cars that are being collected early next week and will be calling the hills district home. Mine being one of them :) .

I must say I have never owned a GTR, I always admired them but they were too boy racer for me ( I am not a big fan of the doof doof stereo, the airbrushing and 24 inch wheels some people bling their cars up with) also I only keep my cars for their warranty period (This car could be different). As such an import never appealed to me.

The new GTR was the exact reason why I had to have one, factory support, warranty, easy insurance, local parts. Whilst I love cars, they certainly are not my life, as such I want dealer servicing, I want someone to come pick my car up, drop off a loan car and then bring it back when it is all finished.

Anyway...next wednesday...and counting.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So now that Nissan Aust. is importing in full volume does that mean the end of grey imports? What about bringing in a 2nd hand one from Japan, is this possible?

no, the crashing aud and flat local car market meant the end of grey R35s. second hand ones cannot be imported. sevs compliance was only gained for low volume NEW.

i could be wrong but with other models of cars I thought you couldn't bring in a car that was locally sold by dealer ships in NSW from over seas unless it has been owned for more than 12 months over seas or something... Otherwise the car would have to be older than 15 years old. Or never to be granted registration.....

I could be wrong but thats what ive been told over the last few years....

12 month personal imports are still around and will let you bring anything sold here locally, into the country. So yes, you could bring in a GTR if you want. Proof or ownership in whatever country for 12 months is required, rego papers, etc

But if you did this in Japan, which i've thought about, and not live there, storing the bloody thing would be so expensive.

Almost tempting to live, work there for a year, get paid in Yen, and buy a car... yeah you have to store it, but i'd imagine you'd come out in front at the end, Baron?

Hey Andrew

Yes my car will be in Tassie, Black Premium, first drive for me will not be till after Easter when I get down there. But should be a great reccy car!!! :kiss: v excited :) and about Targa Cheers

Then we'll be the guys down there with faster recce cars than our race cars! lol

I think I know of 3 of us with R35 recce cars along with the 5 race ones. Should be a good little gathering. :)

no they don't. lol.

second hand cars that are imported without an aus compliant 17 digit vin are issued with a new vin. it's been different over the years. at the moment they pre-fix the original vehicles chassis number (providing that number is compliant, ie no "O's" in it) with 6U9 and however many zeroes are needed to get to 17 digits. in the past it's been different pre-fixes like IMPRT etc.

cars that are sold new in australia are issued an australian VIN before they are sold. they do not get a chassis number that is prefixed with 6U90XXX.

hey i was sort of close... :)

My M35 stagea (imported last year) has 6U90000 prefixed on the front of the original chassis number and someone previously mentioned in this thread that their GTR vin started with 6U90etc. so naturally I just assumed all imports must receive the same code.

so now I'm a little confused - does this mean GTR's with VIN's starting with 6U90xxx are JDM and all others are AUS?

R35s that were imported under SEVS will have a 6U90X vin. aus delivered R35s will have something else. they are birthed with a proper 17 digit vin from scratch.

like I said it's purely to get the chassis number to conform with aus VIN requirements. the aus delivered cars would be given an aus complaint chassis number (VIN) from birth as they are destined for aus. JDM cars are given a JDM compliant chassis number as they were only ever intended to be sold and used in japan. hence the need for a new vin. and as I said over the years it's been different.

Well I've got it got it now! And damn it's awesome to drive.

A couple of little things Oz people might not be aware of. There's no SD card slot for the HD and no iPod adapter. There's also no auto head-lights or wipers (same as US guys).

But the series 2 premium wheels in the day-light look AMAZING and I'm totally blown away with the quality of the paint finish on the whole car. It has a truely amazing pearl flake in it.

And finally for anyone that is in Vic and is keen to look at a car - Nissan Ferntree Gully actually have a demo car down there now to have a play with. It's a Red Premium and looks hot!

actually, I have a question, do the aus cars have the integrated sat nav like the japanese cars? and do they have it on standards and premiums? or what's the deal with the navi?

The premium wheels are the dark - almost black wheels. Look awesome on a white car :) (Looked good on the red one too).

No Sat Nav at all at this stage. Basicallly it is because that would have needed to be fitted locally (not done in Jap for any O.S. models) and Nissan Oz couldn't find a local source to do it cost effectively at this stage.

It does have Blue-tooth though and so far it seems to work well.