SAU Community

R34 GTST vs XR6T

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Factory says R34 GT-T's are 206kw's but i think it's possibly more around 215kw's due to some cars dynoed when stock.

1410kg's - 210kw's: R34 GT-T

1700kg's - 240kw's: BA XR6-T

I would imagine the R34 would handle/brake better just due to weight. Anyone here driven BOTH? not 33's or 32's. Adzmax? or u still waiting to get ur car in?

"Better" is far too general a term. To me, the R34 is "better" bcos lighter, don't need 4 doors, better fuel consumption, a lot cheaper (can get R34's in real good nick for low $30K's), IMO looks better, not as many around, modability is not an issue thanks to good ol Nissan making sure the factory parts can take a lot more punishment than the stock power. Haven't exactly heard the greatest things about the Fords tho, ie gearbox. Also, can't up the boost or u void warranty.

So for the above reason, to me, the R34 GT-T is a better car.

cheers

Different cars for different people.

XR6T, nice cruisey family sedan or ute, has a bit of poke (remember the serious mods have to wait untill the warranty ends), handle surprisingly good, cheper for insurance etc, and are comfortable with a good looking interier.

34GTT feels faster maybe because its lighter, handles better as it has better feedback for the driver, good potential for mods, but has the usual import insurance/parts probs.

Drive both and buy what you wont

ah cool, someone who has driven both. 32 the winner hey? hehehe, cool. Amazing how weight seems to be such a huge factor with a cars dynamics. 32 being the lightest of them all. I can't see why car companies can't see this. Different series and updates of cars are just getting heavier and heavier. It's really stupid. Besides dynamics there is also things like fuel consumption to think of. As well as stress on components like brakes, etc. oh well...

Originally posted by pentae

Client32: I think driver feedback is very important. I also prefer lighter cars.. good points.

WwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeoOOOOOOOOwwww...

click, "Client 32, Client 32... please make your way to booth #4"...click.

WwwwwwooooooIIIIIIiiiiiiieeee...

ive read some info on the xr6t latley its suppose to be excelant but everyones having trouble getting past the ecu it super smart and down tune the car with certain mods even pod and bleed values so they had trouble getting over 240kw but they said when someone cracks the ecu it will be a beast

well as for luxury i've never been in a xr6t or a 34gtt but i'd imagine the xr6t would have better luxury features ... i mean i got into this monaro ... wasn't even the highest spec one but it had all the leather seats and full electronic chairs ... i loved it ... i wish the skyline had that :( ... but then again u woulsn't want all that in a real sports car would u?

i've been in an xr6t and it felt like a modern falcon with velour interior and different colour gauges.

they are two different cars for two different people. whilst the xr6t has heaps of potential, so does the gtt.

i am biased because i own a gtt, i dont think id even consider an xr6t unless i was a family man. i just dont consider them to be a sports car (yes you can also question the sports car tag of a skyline) especially given an xr6t's weight.

Why does every one say heavy cars can't handle? You ever driven an AMG SL55/E55 or been punted around a track in a BMW M5? They are all between 1720 and 1930kg and will outhandle Porsche Turbos, GT-Rs, and NSX Hondas. Yes i've seen it done and yes i was there when a leading race driver with the initials JB handed down his opinion that the SL55 (1930kg) was the best handling car there.

I gotta say, I've driven an R34 GT-R and spent quite a bit of time in XR6Ts (both utes and sedans in both auto and manual). For the XR6, IMHO:

Auto is the gun tranny as the manual is slow, notchy and has a super-heavy clutch (and it's far weaker).

Performance brake option makes all the difference. I couldn't tell the difference in braking performance between the Ford and the 2000-model GT-R. The optional brakes are that good.

Ford significantly down-play the outright power and torque figures of the XR6. We rolled an XR8 & XR6 onto a dyno and they recorded the same 200rwkW and the torque was pretty similar, although the V8's torque curve is flatter which gives it the low-speed corner advantage.

Why does every one say heavy cars can't handle? You ever driven an AMG SL55/E55 or been punted around a track in a BMW M5? They are all between 1720 and 1930kg and will outhandle Porsche Turbos, GT-Rs, and NSX Hondas.

Thats a pretty big statement. Are we assuming handling and grip are the same thing. Grip almost as good sure, but "outhandle", a turbo Porsche.... maybe a 1995 or earlier.

But i agree big/heavy cars can ride well and have high levels of grip. I wouldnt say they handle (the feel thru the steering/chassis) as well as some of the lighter cars simply because they can get caught out on the twisty/switchback roads. Bit like the EVOs vs the GTRs on twisty roads.

Prior to this years Targa there was a XR6T at Eastern Creek doing some shake down work, and whilst i have no idea how hard/easy the driver was taking it, i didnt exactly sruggle ot overtake him. And i sure as hell wasnt catching him on the straights, brakes and corners was where i gained.

It will be interesting in another year or two to see how the XR6Ts go at handling some decent power, as a friend works for a Ford parts supplier, and tells me whilst the auto box is the better pick over the ageing manual, even it hasnt been calibrated and given the required internals to handle big gains in power.

XR6T fans should be patient, Ford already have a few surprises in store for future owners.

I was there when an E55 AMG trounced a 2001 996 Porsche Turbo round corners and under brakes. Roy i think you're right about waiting and seeing...

Ford even hinted they might offer the suspension their XR6s ran in Targa as a kit... Made a huuuuge difference to the handling...

I was there when an E55 AMG trounced a 2001 996 Porsche Turbo round corners and under brakes.

Im not doubting it, but I have (i couldnt sleep at night otherwise) to believe the Porsche owner was puppying his car, and the AMG guy giving it a bit of alright with the Porsche in front of him.:)

AMG are freaks... but they insist on putting auto boxes behind their cars, which is all fine and good, but im an old H-pattern person myslef. Nothing is more fun then rowing back thru the gears under brakes and matching the revs.:)

Interestingly though if you read the US mag Road & Track the 996 Turbo leave all comers for dead as far as stopping distances from 100mph and also 0-100-0mph tests.

Umm... how does that relate to the tread, um ford needs bigger brakes:D

Originally posted by SS8_Gohan

Factory says R34 GT-T's are 206kw's but i think it's possibly more around 215kw's due to some cars dynoed when stock.  

I would imagine the R34 would handle/brake better just due to weight. Anyone here driven BOTH? not 33's or 32's. Adzmax? or u still waiting to get ur car in?

cheers

Praise the son of rajab! Haha, me and Daz just got import approval yesterday. Sould be on the ship any day now! YEAH BABY!

Roy, the driver in both times was a Nations Cup and ATCC driver with the initials JB. He also drove a bit with a QLDer called Dick who drove a lot of Fords and had a bit to do with developing the BA XR/GT range. (I can't belive i tied that all together)

who drove a lot of Fords and had a bit to do with developing the BA XR/GT range. (I can't belive i tied that all together)

Well done:D One last question though, so who driving the Porsche when the AMG with JB behind the wheel did the deed?

For those wanting to buy a XR6T, just remember this was Fords first attemp, and the politics behind a turbo outgunning the V8.

So imagine with the Series II when the V8 gets a blower and power levels go thru the roof, imagine the extra freedom this gives the XR6T engineers at Ford. Be patient, i suspect the wait will be worth it, and all from the factory:D

Come on Nissan Australia, if Holden is kicking Ford proverbial, then all the manufacturers are going to town on Nissan boring lineup. Thank god for imports:D