Stuffed My Car Tonight

R34Liner

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haha yea - well the end damage was acctually 3 bent con rods - a bent crank - 4 bent valves - a hair line crack in my head

so i got a new crank - new con rods - new head - and new valves to a total of $3000 - woohoo!! and thanx for all the advice guys!! - i bet there was a million better ways to go about doing this, new engine, diffrent mechanic wtvr it is but i dont want to hear about it now - lol - im just going to cop it and learn from it!!

• 5 months later...

i know its an old thread but.

after reading this thread top to bottom im kinda stumped.....i didnt realise petrol engines were as bad for this as diesels (diesel + water = busted)

no one knows enough about engines to NOT try and turn them over when full of water?

having said that, my bro's angry bug got some water while parked ( open engine lid). he tryed starting it, got half a turn it stopped....

then he did the smart thing, rather than just forcing it till it goes, he stripped it down got the water out and its fine and dandy ( but it is an old dinosaur not a skyline). still running almost 10:1 compression though.

for future reference, if your car drinks water TURN IT OFF, and dont try starting it again, till your sure where the water is.

even if that means getting it towed home.

sry just my 2c

ps, sry to hear though mate, couldnt imagine forking out the cash for a new engine. :P

i know its an old thread but.

after reading this thread top to bottom im kinda stumped.....i didnt realise petrol engines were as bad for this as diesels (diesel + water = busted)

no one knows enough about engines to NOT try and turn them over when full of water?

having said that, my bro's angry bug got some water while parked ( open engine lid). he tryed starting it, got half a turn it stopped....

then he did the smart thing, rather than just forcing it till it goes, he stripped it down got the water out and its fine and dandy ( but it is an old dinosaur not a skyline). still running almost 10:1 compression though.

for future reference, if your car drinks water TURN IT OFF, and dont try starting it again, till your sure where the water is.

even if that means getting it towed home.

sry just my 2c

ps, sry to hear though mate, couldnt imagine forking out the cash for a new engine. :P

hahah buddy, once your engine is running and has sucked up the water....the compression from trying to compress that water in the 1st place has already done the damage.....even if you try and crank it over...the starter motor is no where near strong enough to crank that engine past a certain compression point..... so if your trying to crank over an engine with water in it the starter motor will not be strong enough to blow or break anything...it will just stop mid stroke....

now when an engine is spinning at 2,000 - 2,500 revs and suddenly water is introduced into the engine and instead of the pistons trying to compress air and petrol mist, which can be compressed, it hits water, what do you think is going to give? there is already to much movement for the engine to just stop dead...that 2000 revs of momentum has to go somewhere and if its not going to be put into compressing the water (which is physically impossible, i hope this doesn't come as some kinda of shock to people), then its going to start bending and breaking all the other elements in the engine...i hope you understand what im talking about

now go to wiki and look up "hydro-lock" - this is what happend to me...nothing to do with me cranking the engine with water in it

Now with you talking about your bro's angry bug, different car, different conditions, different amounts of water but with that all said, your bro's car wasn't running at 2500 revs when water was introduced....it was just sitting there....even if he did the "unsmart thing" and tried to start it....the starter motor would do squat to the engine - its all about physics again, an electric starter motor vs cast iron, steal wtvr your engine pistons, crank and valves are made of....and keep in mind these valves contain each explosive stroke of an engine so im pretty sure they can handle a little pressure that is created when an electric motor tries to force a engine to crank over cylinders full of water...

"no one knows enough about engines to NOT try and turn them over when full of water?" - careful when making comments like this mate, sets yourself up to look like a fool

now if i have made any mistakes in this please someone tell me because i need to know because otherwise i have a very bad understanding of engines and i need to be re-educated

but otherwise thanks for your 2 cents and i hope you have learnt something, that's what were all here for!

And yea it did suck D!ck coughing up all that money :P some ppl said i should have gotten a brand new engine instead of rebuilding it...but im glad i have made my decision because ultimately i have a brand new rebuilt engine now :D

yeah i know the idea behind the hydro-lock, but as i stated i dont think ive ever seen it happen to a petrol engine. ive drivin many a bush basher thru water fed it water, and all sorts of bad things. but i guess they were busted old cars not turbo skylines.

your right, a running engine drinking water, and a stationary trying to start with water is 2 very different things. but i seriously didnt think it would have cause that amount of damage straight up. mustve beena hell of a gulp of water to cause that.

pics didnt load yesterday, just seeing the conrods...OMG theyre fudged.

i also agree with you going for the rebuild rather than the second hand new engine. hope its all up and running again

"....took me a few minutes to start it up again but the damage was already done..." is the only line that made me write my little speel there.

on a related note, is there a way of doing a CIA without the risk of drinkin water? a drain of some sort?

Edited by boiracer

wow... i had a similar experience....

i didnt have any immediate problems in the beginning, took it to a mechanic, said they cant see anything wrong. couple of weeks down the track, i got bad rattling sounds plus a whole lotta other things at aruond 2k. took it to a couple of mechanics, 3 to be exact. 2 of them said it mite be the turbo mite be busted and the vibrations are just coz of the turbo fins hitting the side of the housing and its reverberating through the engine.. lolz spent a whole lotta time changing turbo and wat not and then skip a couple of week, my engine blows. block blown open cabin filled with thick black smoke..oil, coolant and stuff all over the road.

turns out that one of the con rods were bent outta shape and was hitting the side of the block..

awsome experience, gave me a chance to yell out "its gonna blow!!!" and dive for cover. something i thought id never had to do.