SAU Community

R35 Service Costs

dazmo

I dont think anyone is saying others are idiots for not servicing their own cars. However in the face of absurd dollars (yet to be confirmed) it would make sense to consider it, especially if you track the car regularly. It's not black and white. I can see why some would prefer to just have the dealer take care of it. For others the dealer option just isnt going to be practical.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel now is a perfect time to bring up the "i told you so" line, but ill be nice :pirate:

Now, lets see if not using OEM brake parts voids that so, so precious warranty

i was talking to a nissan dealer yesterday and i was told that if items are not done when required then the warranty will be void, we were particularly talking about brakes as he saw the brakes on mine,

the standard r35 brakes apparently cost around 10k for front and rear pad and rotor change, i just did my fronts for the second time for about 1700 dollars.

transmission service is 1800 dollars and must be done after every track day to keep warranty or if the transmission temps get above a certain temp which of course they will be checking when the download you hard drive.

great car , i absolutely love it, ( besides the paint being abit ordinary till i had an expert clean it up) but i cannot get over what some of the charges will be. i am glad i dont have to worry about warranty. would have already saved me around 20 k in brakes alone if going through the dealer.

i was talking to a nissan dealer yesterday and i was told that if items are not done when required then the warranty will be void, we were particularly talking about brakes as he saw the brakes on mine,

the standard r35 brakes apparently cost around 10k for front and rear pad and rotor change, i just did my fronts for the second time for about 1700 dollars.

transmission service is 1800 dollars and must be done after every track day to keep warranty or if the transmission temps get above a certain temp which of course they will be checking when the download you hard drive.

great car , i absolutely love it, ( besides the paint being abit ordinary till i had an expert clean it up) but i cannot get over what some of the charges will be. i am glad i dont have to worry about warranty. would have already saved me around 20 k in brakes alone if going through the dealer.

Interesting!

I guess a lot of people have signed contracts without knowing what service costs may be.

I explicitly asked beforehand, but they couldnt tell me.

To be frank, if they told me a pad+rotor swap was going to be $10k, a (most likely mandatory) post track day tranny fluid flush will be $1800, and a new gearbox is $30k, then well, to be blunt i probably wouldnt have entertained the idea of buying this car. If you do everything by the book how much is a track day going to cost? Engine, tranny, diff fluids and god knows what else.. what $5k? I realise performance comes at a price, but come on, lightly modded Evo's (marginally slower on Sydney tracks, maybe 1 to 2 seconds) well they are cheap as chips to maintain in comparison.

the standard r35 brakes apparently cost around 10k for front and rear pad and rotor change, i just did my fronts for the second time for about 1700 dollars

Can i ask where you get your rotors and pads?

cheers

Sounds like a plan...

But everything will be in Japanese and will the speed limiter will be in place..?

Thats been my plan from day one :D

If you dont like the japanese interior, buy from a dealership......oh wait a sec......

Btw, the japanese interior is MEGA cool (except of course for the buttons that use Kanji), the voice at startup is a nice difference - and just for a laugh, dont wear a seatbelt and drive one, she just destroys you in Japanese

I guess a lot of people have signed contracts without knowing what service costs may be.

I explicitly asked beforehand, but they couldnt tell me.

To be frank, if they told me a pad+rotor swap was going to be $10k, a (most likely mandatory) post track day tranny fluid flush will be $1800, and a new gearbox is $30k, then well, to be blunt i probably wouldnt have entertained the idea of buying this car. If you do everything by the book how much is a track day going to cost? Engine, tranny, diff fluids and god knows what else.. what $5k? I realise performance comes at a price, but come on, lightly modded Evo's (marginally slower on Sydney tracks, maybe 1 to 2 seconds) well they are cheap as chips to maintain in comparison.

Completely agree, afterall you've been dealing with sales reps who have targets to meet. Most have very basic training. The sort of training that says "dont tell the customer/act dumb, and the deal will go through. If anything goes wrong ill just blame HQ cause its a new car and we can say that we're being left in the dark". Which is quite unfortunate for the customer!

Nissan Australia "couldnt", or, "wouldnt" tell you servicing costs back then? Its not like they couldnt have told you the previous models operating costs. Even though not sold here, they know parts prices once you ask.

Seriously not being rude, but honestly i posted this sort of information ages ago regarding brakes, its common sense anyway and if someone took some time to have a look around they wouldve realised this before signing their purchase agreement;

-Call nissan, get a price for brake pads and discs for R32, R33 and R34 brembos (which are all smaller disc and surface size than the R35)

-Look on the forums at what people in Australia use on those same cars

-Ask them, if it isnt clear by now (and i think it should be), why dont you use genuine Nissan parts from a Nissan dealership for braking hardware?

-Even just ask, what sort of costs are associated with track going GTR ownership from owners with previous models as a bit of a starting point

-Call as many brake shops as you can that specialize in serious brakes and say something like; "i have paid a deposit on an R35 GTR. It comes in April, but i want to know what Brembo discs and pads are worth in that size? If you dont have a listing for that big, you can quote me 355mm Brembo discs, or even the R35 size discs and pads but in a different brand just so i can have some sort of comparison"

At the end of the day, these things use big brakes, and big brakes are never cheap.

Then, jump on carsales and buy a grey one if you guys dont like the answer. At least you can really enjoy it, stressfree ;)

most of us would be aware of the street price for aftermarket rotors/pads and various other goodies for r35's by now. but these nissan prices are insane. It's just an opinion. OK so these prices might not be a surprise to some, that's great. The result is likely the same, we'll not buy them.

most of us would be aware of the street price for aftermarket rotors/pads and various other goodies for r35's by now. but these nissan prices are insane. It's just an opinion. OK so these prices might not be a surprise to some, that's great. The result is likely the same, we'll not buy them.

If you're happy with aftermarket gear, have a look at the Mines kits :D

I must say that all this pricing talk is more than a bit un-nerving. I will get it all in writing after my sales person finishes his GTR training over the next 5 days.

I have not and will not sign the new 11 page waiver, I will certainly not be paying $250 an hour for servicing.

Before I hear all this...well that is what you get for buying a supercar.... I have owned prestige cars, I know what BMW charge for servicing, I know what Mercedes charge. I based my forecasts of the Nissan on 911 pricing, I figured that would be fair enough. I expected $800- $1200 for a regular service....however not after every track day and not after their crappy oil reaches over 120 degrees.

The absurdity in all of this is that currently it is speculation, if someone has it in writing then great post it.

The facts are this:

All new vehicles have a 12 month statuatory warranty (or 20,000km), as long as genuine parts are used and the car is serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's specification then Nissan can take their $250.00 an hour and shove it. Regardless of any waiver they get you to sign, you cannot waive your statuatory rights. That includes the new car warranty.

After the 12 months you then come to the manufacturers warranty, this is where they can stipulate certain things, especially if you have signed the waiver.

If anyone gets anything in writing please post it, I will do what I can when I talk to the dealer next week.

Can someone who imports parts please post up a cost for brake discs and pads, genuine brembo/nissan, delivered to australia? (id expect them to come from Nissan Japan)

Can someone who imports parts please post up a cost for brake discs and pads, genuine brembo/nissan, delivered to australia? (id expect them to come from Nissan Japan)

price sounds about right

F430 Brakes (Disc and pads) cost about that 10-15k for replacment

well in all the here say Ive been told by a very good source that it has cost every dealership well over 100k just to set up a dedicated workspace only for the gtr it has its own custom hoist with built in wheel alignment machine and a large selection of specialty tools and that doesn't include the fact that they need to have a 350z as the loan car. was also shown a little of the servicing schedule and what you haven't factored in is that the engine needs too be rebuilt to retain warranty at what i thought were ridiculous intervals this is noted in capitals as well this interval reduces drastically with every track day.

oh and gtr owners will like this one don't hit the gutter with your precious wheels because if you want to buy one think again Nissan can ONLY order them in sets of five unfortunate hey i think there will be a lot of unhappy owners at the end of this no wonder Nissan have not sold the gtr in Australia for so long.

Well this just soured my day even more.

Grey import is looking extremely viable now, my only concern is being left completely in the dark if something breaks and having a $100,000+ car sitting around doing nothing while i try to source a new gearbox or whatever.

Not to mention im guessing resale value of grey import will be shit, if you even can sell it.

I expected the servicing etc to be expensive because nissan is one of the car companies that doesnt make any profit on the car (hence its so cheap). But getting ripped off everytime i need something done by the local bogan dickhead is going to drive me crazy.

Maybe ill just settle for a 370Z daily driver and get a 34GTR for the track, will end up alot cheaper than an ADM R35!

A good topic. I, like Targa, have had my R35 for 6 mths. Now with 5000 trouble free kms. Of course dealers are going to charge high prices. The cost of becomming a GTR dealer has been around $100,000.00 I am told. Given the small number of pre-orders, they have to recoup their investment quickly-who knows (given the current exchange rate) what the next batch might cost. Personally, I doubt if Nissan Aust would contemplate that for at least a year unless sales improve. I bought mine in Japan for $90,000 when the exchange rate was 101yen to the $! You do the maths.

I have 3 GTRs a 33,a 34 and the 35, and have never been near Nissan for anything. There are more than enough Shops in Aus who do brillant work on GTRs (some who do awful work too) and more than enough parts importers. The same will occur with the 35. I had mine serviced by the same guy who does my other cars. Nissan refused to tell him the part number for the oil filter (we knew it but wanted to test them) because it was a grey import. Refuse to sell us parts as well, although there is an issue for ACCC here. Somewhat short sighted and childish.

The brakes- look at who makes them-parts, including pads, are freely available in Europe for them. I am fortunate enough to own a MB SL 55. Mercedes Aust wanted $3400 for front each rotor and $700 for pads. An importer in Sydney supplied the very same rotors foe $275.00 each and the pads for $240.

Do your reseach and you will be fine. My next stop is Willall Racing for their gerabox sump and cooler. Great what you can do without a warranty.

For those of you who have one on order - the 35 is all the magazines say it is. the differene between it and the 34 is like chalk and cheese. Don't use launch control at every set of traffic lights and the box will be fine. A brillant, brilliant car-go for it.