SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

The fuel is always heated and evaporated, as the rail gets very hot. Try a hot start in summer, the rail needs to be primed as the fuel evaporates inside it. Larger pumps (like a 460L walbro) will overheat all the fuel in the tank within an hour or so.

I have removed countless injectors due to poor running, many have that black gunk in the top filter. My pump filter socks are always black too. Wherever it comes from, it doesn't change the fix, you either need to allow it to flow through the injector, or collect it in a 10 micron filter and change it regularly.

It's only happens when the fuel is heated and evaporated

Like in large intank setups but there's a solution

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/e85-goo-how-to-say-goo-bye-to-it.403907/

Lucas e85 safeguard kill off the chemical

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/221257763570?nav=SEARCH

I have seen these products, but the fuel companies already add anti corrosion properties into the fuel when it's made.

Obviously if I can run a daily for 5 years without issue you would most likely be pissing your money away if you thought you needed a bottle of conditioner in every tank.

The best fix is to run no petroleum products, but for some reason we must use 15% petrol in out ethanol.

The best fix is to run no petroleum products, but for some reason we must use 15% petrol in out ethanol.

Have you seen the licensing requirements to sell and buy pure ethanol? Horrendous. And if you think the need for opal fuel was bad enough, can you imagine how bad it would be if certain members of our population could drink it straight from the pump?

Denaturing with 15% hydrocarbons is the answer.

You can buy 99% ethanol from the chemist, it has chemicals to make you spew when you drink it. Surely that chemical doesn't make black gunk separate like the petrol component, if that is indeed where it comes from.

Why did they test it at gm Saab and stated a tank of unleaded clears it up as it dissolves it ?

Or there's this new additive the lucas stuff kill off the chemical that makes this black gunk

I'm going give the lucas stuff a shot and add it to my fuel every month and see how it goes as I just bought 473ml bottle which 155ml bottle treats 90 odd litres so I only need 80ml a tank so it should last a while

Well e85 has been in the states way before us so they have more experiences than we do

And it is formed from a additive in the e85 mix that's supposed to clean but leaves this black goo it's pip in short or something in the Naisoc link I posted

I only noticed the black gunk as I was doing my headgasket

Car was running fine prior still netted me a 12.3 @ 122mph a month ago and was retuned 2months ago making 266rwkw on 12.5afr and only started to get worse as headgasket leak got worse

Also noticed the same gunk after just taking out my mates injectors from his evo but Weren't as bad either but only 1 year use

It might have been the reason why my car was running out of injectors earlier than expected when tuned

As it was tuned to 12afr but kept creeping to 12.5 afr up top

Tuner thought it was the pump not keeping up as the fuel pressure bled off up top 6psi but boost was dropping off 3-4psi aswell so 2-3psi fuel pressure drop ain't much

I have a dw300 fuel pump in there previously with my nismo 740cc injectors on 4bar

See how it goes now with walbro 450lph once tuned maybe next week

Well e85 has been in the states way before us so they have more experiences than we do

True, but that thread started around the time I began testing back in 09/10, and I had first seen it well before then, only ever internally though, blocking the injector filters.

I only noticed the black gunk as I was doing my headgasket

Car was running fine prior still netted me a 12.3 @ 122mph a month ago and was retuned 2months ago making 266rwkw on 12.5afr and only started to get worse as headgasket leak got worse

Also noticed the same gunk after just taking out my mates injectors from his evo but Weren't as bad either but only 1 year use

I have never seen anything that bad locally, and I have a lot of customers on ethanol. You have me interested enough to check the condition of my 1000's though. I must have put 200 odd tanks through my setup by now.

It might have been the reason why my car was running out of injectors earlier than expected when tuned

More likely your filter, the amount of times I have bypassed customers fuel filters and seen that my injectors and pumps weren't the reason for the duty dropping off. It's pretty easy to test...

alrighty... so last night I was bored after soccer, really bored.. I drove to UNITED :)

Yes, what did I do? I filled up the entire tank with E85 hehe.. *giggles like a little bitch*

Because my timing maps are pretty lazy, me also lazy just blanketed 5 degrees ontop of the entire map - rescaled my injectors to 840cc (to allow 30% more fuel) and it was pretty spot on when on "some" noise. So after some quick runs around the block to check AFRs and knock, I gave it a good quirt at 1.4bar of boost, holy shit :woot: :woot: :woot:

In 3rd the rear end is fighting for traction (I'm running a 2 way diff as well) and AFRs were around low 12s (when converted to gasoline AFRs).. Will iron out a few issues and replace all my crumbling lines with gate barricade lines I have sitting at home then off to a dyno :)

Anyhow, just my random morning rambling.

**edit those five 0 injectors are still giving me grief on idle & cruise - but it's not as bad on E85.. I suspect one of the injectors are lazy and not opening at such low pulse widths.. I pulled out all my plugs on the weekend and the burn was pretty even - meaning no lean cylinders on noise.. from the logs, once the pulse width goes over 2.2ms the spluttering goes away. I suspect a shitty injector somewhere.... just need to pull them all out and see WTF is going on.

Also note, don't ever buy used high flows.. I made that mistake, ended up with 1x dud and bought 2 brand new ones.... can't really blame the seller either, but hope he didn't sell me known dodgy ones because I would loose my shit if he did.

interesting read, my setup was also leaning out up top over 6000rpm with bosch 1000s and aeromotive stealth pump. base pressure on reg. might check fuel filter before it goes back on dyno in 2 weeks.

alrighty... so last night I was bored after soccer, really bored.. I drove to UNITED :)

Yes, what did I do? I filled up the entire tank with E85 hehe.. *giggles like a little bitch*

Because my timing maps are pretty lazy, me also lazy just blanketed 5 degrees ontop of the entire map - rescaled my injectors to 840cc (to allow 30% more fuel) and it was pretty spot on when on "some" noise. So after some quick runs around the block to check AFRs and knock, I gave it a good quirt at 1.4bar of boost, holy shit :woot: :woot: :woot:

In 3rd the rear end is fighting for traction (I'm running a 2 way diff as well) and AFRs were around low 12s (when converted to gasoline AFRs).. Will iron out a few issues and replace all my crumbling lines with gate barricade lines I have sitting at home then off to a dyno :)

Nice. Here's a link to my ECU file, its on a Brae manifold externally gated. You can use as reference for your timing and touch up fuel.

Then get some MickyThomasons 275 ET Street on the rear and its pretty sweet. :woot:

Yeah I had to pull a couple injectors to find the dead FIVEO highflow and they had a fair bit of gunk around the tips, nothing in the way of the fuel flow though. I cleaned it up and didn't think twice about it. Maybe a tank of petrol isn't such a bad idea every now and then; but it's definitely not a deterring factor

Nice. Here's a link to my ECU file, its on a Brae manifold externally gated. You can use as reference for your timing and touch up fuel.

Then get some MickyThomasons 275 ET Street on the rear and its pretty sweet. :woot:

awesome, thanks for that :)

but the file is corrupted hahaha...

Do you run a proper diff in your car Stao?