SAU Community

Wheels For Street Spec

yep, I have tried both the dunlops and the bridgestones. not sure how "hard" my data is, but the dunlops are definitely better on track. :rofl: better than some semi's i tried too on 19s.

I reckon getting a set of dunlops on your stock rims for track and keeping your HREs with the bridgestones for street is a good idea handbrake. :)

By all accounts Dunlops are softer than Bridgestones, hence better track grip. Nissan uses them on Nurburgring for a reason. How many track days will we get out of either of them?

Will that extra one or two seconds saved per lap compensate for less track mileage if one is not actually doing Targa Tasmania with sponsors paying for tyres?

I love taking my cars around EC, OP or Wakefield as much as the next guy, but I would hate chucking this expensive rubber out after only two or three moderately intense track days.

Also, having two sets of Bridgestones would give us that extra backup in case of a flat on the street set. It comes down to individual choice and priorities.

Personally, I am still sitting on the fence, but having Taleb Tyres come up with a more competitive proposition certainly helps.

Interestingly, their Dunlop set is A$200 dearer than their Bridgestones, whilst with the Tire Rack, it is the opposite, by USD 22.

Edited by GT-Ricer

• 7 months later...
By all accounts Dunlops are softer than Bridgestones, hence better track grip. Nissan uses them on Nurburgring for a reason. How many track days will we get out of either of them?

Will that extra one or two seconds saved per lap compensate for less track mileage if one is not actually doing Targa Tasmania with sponsors paying for tyres?

I love taking my cars around EC, OP or Wakefield as much as the next guy, but I would hate chucking this expensive rubber out after only two or three moderately intense track days.

Also, having two sets of Bridgestones would give us that extra backup in case of a flat on the street set. It comes down to individual choice and priorities.

Personally, I am still sitting on the fence, but having Taleb Tyres come up with a more competitive proposition certainly helps.

Interestingly, their Dunlop set is A$200 dearer than their Bridgestones, whilst with the Tire Rack, it is the opposite, by USD 22.

GT Ricer, I have tracked both tyres, Dunlops are better by about 1 - 1.5 seconds per EC lap I reckon. My first set of Dunlops saw 9000 kms including 85 laps of Bathurst and about 140 laps of OP. That set has still not reached the depth indicator, but are well worn at the edges. My current set have seen 100 laps of OP, 40 Laps of EC and the skids. They are still going strong (ish).

I think the key in the long run is to have a different wheel/tyre set up for the track. Hence the order of Volks and Hoosiers.

• 2 months later...
Here are the wheels we currently have on our car.

20 inch Volk Racing GTC's

Also running the Mines 600ps upgrade.

off topic.. but JPC do you have a dyno chart for your car?

I have the hks gt600.. and would love to see the comparison.

hks gt600 = 723Nm torque @ 3700 RPM and 518 HP @ 6100 RPM

depulu wheels refinished them. awesome job, word of advice though if anyone ever gets modular wheels apart for refinishing - just watch out for valve stem leaks when they put them back together .

there is a set of 21 inch HRE 890R which look fantastic for sale on NAGTROC. similar design, slightly more modern.

cheap compared to what I paid for these.

see link below. these are charcoal centre, colour matched lip for gunmetal. do you have titanium?

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39873

• 3 weeks later...

ive been thinking about wheels too

im a sucker for JDM wheels - i just cant get my head around the high prices for US wheels

atm im leaning towards a set of Work Varianza T1S - there's really not much wheels out there that suit the gtr - oem wheels work best with oem ride height.

Those BBS style HREs look a bit weird on the GTR, too much lip maybe, or perhaps the stretched tyre look doesnt work with the GTRs slab guards - you need a wheel with a big face, or just go 21 or 22

have Work VS-XX on my M3 atm with a bit of stretch in the rear to tuck under the guards (Bilstein PSS9s) and had Volk SF-Challenges with TopSecret Gold centres on my old 350, so will be sticking with tradition on the GTR

IMG_4555.jpg

IMG_4566.jpg

133_3353.jpg

133_3363.jpg

Edited by domino_z

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I found a couple of photos on my HDD but no idea from which source, but i believe they are TE37-g2's? Just love the look of them!

post-2240-1248335725_thumb.jpgpost-2240-1248335741_thumb.jpg

I think there is a set for sale at Tyre Power in Hawthorn, if you are in Melbourne check them out, from memory they are 20x13 and 20x11 and he mentioned that they were only 2 weeks old. A decent saving to be had.

• 2 months later...