SAU Community

Recommended Coilovers For Street Drifting?

when i went to 10 degrees from 4-5 degrees it was a dream to drive. im now back down to 7 degrees and its still great.

i'm was trying to find a balance for the car as i did some grip work too. with the level of camber i was running i found 7 degrees to work but my suspension guy wanted to see the results when dropping it back to 4/5.

however never got around to doing it as i took the car off the road for a build and have just finally got it back up and running again

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what do you guys think of ISC? there 12kg front 8 rear... ? honestly ..

honestly, i think they are cheap suspension. tbh i dont see a lot of difference in cheap suspension, unless they have the horror stories of G4 and D2, then ur really just buying blind as none of them are backed by any credible sources, all u can go off is some bloke who just put in "coilies" into his car and thinks they are tops.

if ur dead set on buying cheap stuff, id buy from Ryan at ISC as he's a genuine bloke trying to run a decent business.

as far as those spring rates are concerned they are overkill unless ur car is a fully built race machine running slicks (but then u wouldnt be buying ISC's), or ur looking for a slippery as f**k car that will have no roll. my biggest concern with cheap suspension is they dont revalve their dampers for each spring rate, so the heavy rate will give u a harsh ride, but wont make the car as solid as ud expect due to the dampers being underdamped, leaving the springs undercontrolled.

honestly, i think they are cheap suspension. tbh i dont see a lot of difference in cheap suspension, unless they have the horror stories of G4 and D2, then ur really just buying blind as none of them are backed by any credible sources, all u can go off is some bloke who just put in "coilies" into his car and thinks they are tops.

if ur dead set on buying cheap stuff, id buy from Ryan at ISC as he's a genuine bloke trying to run a decent business.

as far as those spring rates are concerned they are overkill unless ur car is a fully built race machine running slicks (but then u wouldnt be buying ISC's), or ur looking for a slippery as f**k car that will have no roll. my biggest concern with cheap suspension is they dont revalve their dampers for each spring rate, so the heavy rate will give u a harsh ride, but wont make the car as solid as ud expect due to the dampers being underdamped, leaving the springs undercontrolled.

Quoted for truth...

Interesting thread, does that mean that King springs coupled with a decent dampener are a better option than a cheap 'coilover'?

Very true about the adjustments, I've made the front a bit harder in mine once and that was it. A mate spent $2.4k getting inverted monotube, pillow ball tops, fully adjustable S13 JIC FLT TAR brand new coilovers, they look awesome, but we took his car for a spin (HR31 GTS) and still felt kind of floaty through the corners, though that was with dampeners on maximum softness. I don't know anyone who plays around with their settings either.

I run Tein Type NA in mine, do any of you know anything about these? I can only find very sketchy details about these, I do have a receipt for the previous owner bying them from SSS Automotive several years ago, so thankfully they're not the ones it has had on for 20 years lol. They are a coilover with a circlip to adjust height to 4 different settings, they dont have a thread like conventional coilovers. I've never bothered changing iride height - I like being able to get over speed humps normally!

It's funny you know, I never used to pay much attention to suspension setups until I went for a ride in a mates A31 $5k of suspension parts in it, and even compared to mine the handling was just fantastic. It made me realise that it's not actually a waste of money to set things up properly.

Edited by bozodos

its hard to say, no point having quality parts if they arent setup well together. for the street i think a softish spring and a well suited quality damper is all u need. there is no "better" but for the street, i just dont see the point in having hard suspension.

just for the record... i adjust mine often enough.... but its really just min for road and max for track :P

yeh, which is really the only way they should be used in those circumstances, using them for tuning is absolutely useless in 99% of cases. but honestly, for the $$ difference, id rather buy a better damper without adjustment for the same $$, a good front damper will have a good digressive curve that will give u the same roll control but give u a softer ride over bumps.

obviously that only goes to a certain point, if u had the $$ ud just go a high end adjustable damper, then learn how to tune ur dampers to a very basic level.

I learned a lot in this topic. Although I don't really do drifting. lol

Its a good thing I can keep up a conversation with my boy sometimes.

===========

Woman needs security… who doesn’t? But I won’t spend too much for my car insurance. I got it for less. You can too… Try it

here.

Hey guys i found a pair of TIEN HA's but they are 2nd hand ... i think i might go for them what do you guys reckon?

Edited by geraus

Tiens are very nice. I mate of mine has them, and I'm actually going to buy a pair myself very soon. Downfall is they are a little expensive, but if you have the cash (and the kev rudd cash :wub:) go for it.

They also come in a wide range of adjustable features, so it something becomes a problem you can always adjust them to your needs.

I replaced my Tein Super Streets with ISC N1 coilovers, myself and a few other on the FDRX7.com also use this suspension and find it holds up quite well on the track.

You can custom order your spring rate as well, I'm happy with my ISC N1's and they're definitely not Chinese copy's as some muppets stated.

This is one of the blokes from darwin running ISC in his FD drift car, it's pretty much no expense spared and he's happy with the ISC's.

post-4499-1241426229_thumb.jpg

post-4499-1241426366_thumb.jpg

Edited by Parag0n

hey guys! Just wanted to say thanks so mcuh for your help . I recently purchased Tien HA's , i installed them myself and they are excellent! heres a pic!

It has hieght adjustment and damper adjustment, When these stuff up i will purchase a pair of ICS's. Thank you guys.

dsc00107ycp.th.jpg