SAU Community

In Car Circuit Videos

djr81

some video from QR yesterday. Clubman and Sprint Tracks. Clubman is a fun little track, but Sprint still bores me to tears... the new surface is really good - no bumps in the turn 1 braking area and that giant bump in the middle of turn 2 is gone too. 9 tenths faster on Clubman than last time I went there a couple of years ago. Might go back in winter with my lower diff gears in to see if it can go a bit faster.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the Mt Cotton hillclimb on the weekend in the 180SX. Bit dissapointed with my times, but it was only my second hillclimb in 5 years and I really struggled to get my head around it all again. Took me till the 6th run of the weekend just to get the first corner right FFS!

Had some front pad knock off, leading to a couple of rear brake lockups in the first downhill braking zone. So I was having to pump the pedal up with the left foot while negotiating the tricky exit of the first loop, nicknamed 'lover's leap' because of its sharp drop off - which was a bit distracting. I was still driving like an old mole through that 1st loop (in both directions) by the end of the weekend, so hopefully there's better times to be had by getting more used to the place again and pushing harder.

Still not sure which gear to use in the hairpin either. I recently changed from the stock 4.083 diff to 4.363 to try and help at Lakeside and QR, but I think it hurts at Mt Cotton. The taller diff would help make 1st gear more useable. Softer spring rates would probably work better at that low speed track too.

I got my best time on the last run of the weekend after a long delay for an oil-down in that first loop by a caterham three cars ahead of me in the queue - I took it so easy through there I couldn't believe I got a decent time! I ran two 48.1's on Sunday, but that's miles away from where I wanted/expected to be. To put it in perspective these are the times I've done in previous cars:

48.3 in a 145rwbhp L20 powered Datsun 1200 on A032R's

46.3 in a 300rwbhp CA18DET Datsun 1200 on nice soft Toyo RA1's

46.2 in my old R32 GTR - never dyno'd but only had Mines ECU, 0.9bar, exhaust and coilovers on puny little 225/50 R16 SR (hard) compound RE55S on stock rims. Would have been a rocket with some nice soft 255s. Shouldn't have sold it!

48.1 in the 270rwbhp 180SX was pretty dissapointing - only a couple of tenths faster than my old two litre Datto! anyway, here's some vid of me driving like an old woman around Mt Cotton:

Edited by hrd-hr30

I think I used the full url from the address bar at the top of the browser. Paste that into the 'insert media' button.

Got the split timing form Mt Cotton. The 180SX loses almost all its time in the first sector compared to my other cars. It matches the GTR in the second sector and there's just a couple of tenths in the third sector which I can probably make up, but that first sector is a bit of a surprise.

I remember the GTR being awesome of the slippery concrete launch pad, and would be better out of the tight first turn with its taller first gear and AWD traction, but 1.6seconds? That's a lot of time! The 1200 was very good off the line in 2nd gear as well with the soft RA1s, and very fast up the hills with 310rwbhp & 950kg.

At least I can see the car isn't completely hopeless around the rest of the track and know what I have to work on next time. Might make some changes to the car too...

post-15659-0-67557200-1330215551_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

went back to QR yesterday to see if the diff change helped. Beat my PB by 4 tenths, so I'm pretty happy with that. Here's a short 2min video - PB on 2nd lap:

Edited by hrd-hr30

Was it you who bought that front bar from a 33 I had?

I can see why you need it... Crazy!!

Yeah I think it was you I bought a front bar from. The GTR style bar with standard indicators. I did a test fit and other things grabbed my attention. Hopefully it will be going on in the next month or so and then I will be looking at an under tray with a small lip.

bloody hell, not alot of room there! Got away with it unscathed though by the sounds of it?

Was the pedal slightly 'longer' than normal when you got on the brakes there?

Not a lot of room at all and got away with it. The tyres are not exactly round at the moment.

Pedal was all good, actually my next run I did was only 0.064 secs slower than my fastest time of the day. So backed it up pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Wakefield on Sunday at the NSCC day. Only got two timed sessions in before I wrecked the brakes in two consecutive passenger sessions ;)

Still quite a few mistakes, car is a bit overdriven in a few corners but figured I post anyway.