SAU Community

180sx Vh45

At least the clutch should this time, couldn't hold a second burn out last time. Plus I wanna hear what the commentator says and crowds reaction, he was struggling to work out the hell was going on with GTRsean's 85 civic.

update time,

car runs well, apart from the expected small things. it's now apparent that grip is now an issue, not in a straight line sense but in lateral grip (although it does chirp into third). some of this well be remedied by suspension as the rear needs to be raised and front needs further dampening. most of the problem seems to because the car has so much torque response it's easily unsettled, and i know i can get more out the car with extra lateral grip and be faster out of the corners as well as more stable. going to try test fitting GTR offset 17*9.5 to see if they clear the inner suspension, and hopefully will be able to significantly increase front tire width at the same time.

time to pick wheels!. anybody got suggestions?

update time,

car runs well, apart from the expected small things. it's now apparent that grip is now an issue, not in a straight line sense but in lateral grip (although it does chirp into third). some of this well be remedied by suspension as the rear needs to be raised and front needs further dampening. most of the problem seems to because the car has so much torque response it's easily unsettled, and i know i can get more out the car with extra lateral grip and be faster out of the corners as well as more stable. going to try test fitting GTR offset 17*9.5 to see if they clear the inner suspension, and hopefully will be able to significantly increase front tire width at the same time.

time to pick wheels!. anybody got suggestions?

my mate is gonna do this conversion to his s14 soon, might pm you brah regarding more info. nismo lmgt4 or xd9s are killer. imo stay 17 x 9, cr kais are cheap enough with a half decent offset. I reckon enkei RP01 are also a good choice that wont stretch the budget. i got polished blitz type 03 rims atm and r33 gtr for the track.

Edited by nismokid

Loving the build mate looking at doing VH45DETT in my 33 later this year hopefully. But I've got a GTS-4 so it'll be AWD and its already running 18x10 + 18 wheels front and rear ready for putting down the power :)

Do you mind if I ask how much it has cost you to build so far or a rough breakdown on prices, obviously you've saved a bit on labour doing alot yourselves??

Edited by ShyBoi

Problem is cost lol.

All the little stuff adds up, and before you know it 20+K gone!!

Rough break down: (not including car)

VH45DE complete $2200

custom exhaust, custom extractors plus labour $3700

Z32 Gbox $500

os gikken twin plate clutch/flywheel $2500

tailshaft $500

adapter plate for bellhousing and machining $1800

eng mounts $250

x member $200

thermos and radiator $700

custom metal bonnet $1800

Labour $2000

Other stuff was replaced too, so more $$$

5 stud conversion $500

discs $600

4 pot 296mm upgrade $400

master cylinders clutch/brake $230

electric power steer $200

Misc crap and other labour to finish car $5000

Engineering, total $1800

Rego, plates $1200

Could of gone cheaper bits too, but we wanted an over engineered, reliable car, and that is what he's got now.

Just look at a holden driveline then a skyline one, I'd pick the jap way hands down!

Problem is cost lol.

All the little stuff adds up, and before you know it 20+K gone!!

This is true... I had to order endless little bits and wait ages each time from Nissan Japan/USA. Just today I found out I'm missing a fuel dampener so there's another 2 weeks gone :down:

Easily spent 20 grand on the swap already, haven't even looked at engineering yet

Edited by ichizora

haven't taken it to the drags yet, but even I will struggle to beat a 4wd launch from a r34 GTR, especially one that's as responsive as Sean's. if a GTR doesn't launch it, i have a good chance, just ask Sloan lol.

test fitted gtrseans r34 rims on back as well as sloans 17*9.5 xd9's

what does everyone think, should go an 18 or 17, personally i think the 17's look to small. and i can run a 275 on the back with room for more when running 18's

post-38774-0-73844400-1300764509_thumb.jpg

post-38774-0-63779900-1300764529_thumb.jpg

190RWKW with exhaust, intake and completely stock standard ecu.

18's still look great especially with the width at the back of the car!

Around $2000 for R34GTR wheels by the way.....I'm keeping mine :)

So R34 GTR wheels with 275's at the back and maybe 245's at the front?

post-12712-0-25363200-1300770137_thumb.jpg

190RWKW with exhaust, intake and completely stock standard ecu.

18's still look great especially with the width at the back of the car!

Around $2000 for R34GTR wheels by the way.....I'm keeping mine :)

So R34 GTR wheels with 275's at the back and maybe 245's at the front?

we don't even know if the 18's will fit in front, at least not till this weekend anyway. but if they do i'll be looking for a set of 18's. still don't know what design though. 180sx's can never have enough GTR parts.

stay tuned for the new fuel tank, estimates look like it will in the range of 90-100 liters, which will be good because it gets 300km's to a tank now. hopefully will get that started in a month or so. new fuel tank will be shortened on the right hand side for duel 3in exhaust, and raising boot floor to get extra fuel space.

• 3 weeks later...

project 450sx is about to start it's second stage. just bought 32gtr v-spec brembo front brakes with two piece rotors and a complete 32gtr rear sub frame from FATZ (much appreciated!). this conversion will be also modifying the front guards so i can fit a approx +15 offset 9 inch wide wheel on the front (because GTR offset wheels hit the front suspension). If it didn't stop before it will now, this also means I'll need to modify the tail-shaft............again.

Does anyone think it's worth trying to brembo rear brakes to match the front? Feels wrong to have them on the front and not the back.

I think you'll want to look at weight distribution and brake bias Josh.

The GTR is a VERY nose heavy car, especially in comparison to the 450SX. I'm thinking with only Brembos up front, the front is going to be WAYYYY over braked.