SAU Community

180sx Vh45

yeah engine looks a bit crowded, the result of putting that huge filter in is staggering. I've seen a few posts on other forums in the US complaining that the vh45 power band flat lines above 5000 rpm. I had the same issue, a massive decline in the rate of acceleration. apparently a 12in long 6in round filter does the trick. who would of thought. now we just have put an air box around it.................some how.

on another note, Sean said me he talked to the BMC filter guy at the stand at super-lap on Saturday, and told him his filters suck :spank:. I wonder how that went down. they said the biggest enclosed air filter they make only has a 100mm insert.

I put it nicely to them that it was restricting the engine, as this 4.5L with the factory 90mm intake @7000RPM would be ingesting 'x'litres of air! The BMC filter canister unit that we originally fitted had an 80mm intake, and enough filter cross section for an engine half the size...

So that's why it was flat-lining after 5000RPM, not enough airflow at the higher RPM's. The 80mm intake was my first guess why it was a restriction. So much better now, it sounds completely different, with so much filter area available now.

As said before they do have a 100mm intake adapter that is meant for a honda S2000, but the filter element itself would still be a restriction. Could run 2 filters, but there isn't enough room, and cost is up there.

turns out that Ross tuffbond balancer i got made is a $900 paper weight. its not even close. the standard balancers have 3 pulleys i needed the second pulley only as i only run a water pump and alternator of the same pulley. they made it with the first pulley and then it's the width of the second, so nothing lines up. not happy again, why is good help too hard to find! it probably even won't bolt on, 7 months for a balancer that they just winged. :rant: really angry!!!

turns out that Ross tuffbond balancer i got made is a $900 paper weight. its not even close. the standard balancers have 3 pulleys i needed the second pulley only as i only run a water pump and alternator of the same pulley. they made it with the first pulley and then it's the width of the second, so nothing lines up. not happy again, why is good help too hard to find! it probably even won't bolt on, 7 months for a balancer that they just winged. :rant: really angry!!!

turns out I'm an idiot, the balancer was made to sit spaced out from the engine block. so it does line up there just will be an air cap of an inch between the engine and the start of the balancer. crisis over.

the 450sx now has a digital climate control from a type x, we needed to rewire the 3 plugs for the analog one in to 2 plugs for the digital one. that and it's running close to 19 degrees of timing now, it was running 17 degrees factory... seems a little hi but apparently the factory setting are 15 +/- 2 so 17degrees is the limit so it works. the question is should i put cams in it?

Josh, at the end of the day... was the vh45 swap worth it??

hell yeah, i was just going to put a rb26 in it when the ca original went but really wanted something different. but after it's all been said and done. I'm really glad i did this conversion, i really can't get enough of how this car drives now, the chassis has come alive. unlike the turbo it's all up to my right foot and i love that.

hell yeah, i was just going to put a rb26 in it when the ca original went but really wanted something different. but after it's all been said and done. I'm really glad i did this conversion, i really can't get enough of how this car drives now, the chassis has come alive. unlike the turbo it's all up to my right foot and i love that.

this. :thumbsup:

Last sunday GTRsean, Josh and myself attended the Dyno day out in Dee Why, NSW

It was a RWD dyno so I had to pull the fuse of course to participate.

The 450SX made roughly 200rwkw

Here is some photos of the 450SX thumbsup.gif

post-39868-0-67496000-1314693926_thumb.jpgpost-39868-0-65571300-1314693903_thumb.jpgpost-39868-0-54293100-1314693873_thumb.jpg

post-39868-0-63644500-1314693847_thumb.jpgpost-39868-0-54293100-1314693873_thumb.jpg

post-39868-0-26434600-1314693845_thumb.jpgpost-39868-0-92624000-1314693842_thumb.jpg

post-39868-0-96121700-1314694133_thumb.jpgpost-39868-0-34544900-1314694117_thumb.jpg

Nice work, bet it has a fat-ass torque curve, got a slip?

yeah got a slip i'll take a photo or scan it, it was 447ft/lbs of torque. 70 shy of sloans 340 something kw gtr. not bad for an na car.

here's the dynograph. only engine mods are intake filter and exhaust system something tells me that the factory power stated at 280hp at the flywheel is a lie.:banana:

post-38774-0-95517100-1314763650_thumb.jpg

very nice work mate.. it does have a tough corvette muscle look to it imo.

i'd love to see this thing in action, forgive me i did skim through the thread.. any vids??

listen out for Steve's comment at the end