SAU Community

Nm 35 Sparkplug Replacement

STAG250

Since they come from factory with Platinum plugs, I would think that you still have ~20,000kms left (Nissan replace them at 80,000).

A few of us have done it.

I do not have the NGK factory plug number on me, but I believe that they are the same as an Evo 9 (at least the Denso Iridium's are the same between the two cars).

You can do it yourself so all the cost will be in the plugs, but you will need to take off the intake piping and removing the piping into the throttle body on the left side of the engine can make it much easier also.

They are pretty deep so a socket extension is required (at least it was for me).

As for plug cost, we had a small group buy earlier this year that you can read about HERE

Edited by iamhe77

I did mine recently. I went into Autobarn and they had the VQ25 listed in the NGK catalogue. They had to order them, but a couple of weeks later they arrived - about $21 or $24 each (i think).

My car is at 85,000 now and the plugs i took out were slightly worn - not terrible, but worth replacing.

Yep, a lot of intake piping had to come off, but it was only a 2-beer job. :)

I did mine at 86k and they had probably already been replaced as they were temperature 5 plugs, not the 6 that are the normal factory one.

I put in NGK Iridium's, IX LFR6AIX-11, this plug is meant to be a 1.1mm gap and our cars need ideally a 0.9mm gap but when they arrived they were all gapped at 0.9mm so they were perfect.

I bought mine from Perfomance Lub and they were very helpful and the price was great.

http://www.performancelub.com/NGK%20pricelist.htm

Mine were replaced just recently as part of my 100,00km service (at 103,500 cos I've been too flat out with other stuff).

Pretty sure they were the original plugs which means they've lasted a hell of a long time. I bought the car at 79000km so I doubt they were done in japan.

I have the part number at home I'll try to remember to post it up.

Mine were replaced just recently as part of my 100,00km service (at 103,500 cos I've been too flat out with other stuff).

Pretty sure they were the original plugs which means they've lasted a hell of a long time. I bought the car at 79000km so I doubt they were done in japan.

I have the part number at home I'll try to remember to post it up.

I changed mine at 78,000km and they were shagged, the thin part of the center electrode was completely gone, unless the odo has been tampered with.

Quite a few tuners have suggested running standard copper plugs and changing at 20,000 to give more power and a better burn, it depends how much you like ripping your engine apart to fit them.

The ones I have are PLFR5A-11 and are listed on the invoice as OEM NGK spark plugs. I'm guessing they were from Nissan and they were $34 each. Most other VQ engines come with these plugs so I assume this means they are the standard plug?

The ones I have are PLFR5A-11 and are listed on the invoice as OEM NGK spark plugs. I'm guessing they were from Nissan and they were $34 each. Most other VQ engines come with these plugs so I assume this means they are the standard plug?

not by my experience

I was quoted for LFR6AP-9 (std), LFR6A or LFR6AIX-P (opt)

but I have a turbo so that may explain the difference

yeah cooler plug for forced induction engines, i was gonna wait 2 weeks for a set of 7s, but i couldnt be bothered. maybe ill use some coppers to see how they go. at $3-4 each, it will be a cheap test :)

oh dear...looks like I have the wrong ones then...

Doing a quick google search - they've probably looked up INFININTI M35 rather than stagea....

Does anyone know if the 5A-11's will be a problem? Car seems to run fine...obviously its a hotter plug and gapped at 1.1 instead of 0.9, but I have no idea what any of that means in terms of how the engine will run.

Just wondering what my options are or whether its fine just to leave it. I dont think the workshop would be too happy if I asked to have them changed over again...after the running around they did to find these...but at the same time if I need to change them I'd rather not pay again if its their error. I never specified what plugs to put in.

oh dear...looks like I have the wrong ones then...

Doing a quick google search - they've probably looked up INFININTI M35 rather than stagea....

Does anyone know if the 5A-11's will be a problem? Car seems to run fine...obviously its a hotter plug and gapped at 1.1 instead of 0.9, but I have no idea what any of that means in terms of how the engine will run.

Just wondering what my options are or whether its fine just to leave it. I dont think the workshop would be too happy if I asked to have them changed over again...after the running around they did to find these...but at the same time if I need to change them I'd rather not pay again if its their error. I never specified what plugs to put in.

When I changed my plugs I pulled out 5A's and my car ran fine.

I just put in the Iridium tipped 6A'-11 and when we checked the gap they were 0.9mm anyway.

You should be fine.

I googled a bit more and my impression is that since its completely stock (and therefore running a little rich) and always uses 98 octane fuel, I doubt I have anything to worry about. Maybe I'll just need to change the plugs a bit earlier next time or something...say around 160K km...

However, now that I think about it...twice in the last week it has had trouble starting. First time I noticed was last saturday - which was freezing where i was and the car had been sitting there all day. It turned over ok so nothing to do with battery or anything but took a few separate tries (about 5 seconds each) to actually fire and start.

The second time was this morning, where I turned the key, and then I happened to relax the key a bit early so it kind of fired but then just sat there with the revs on like 200rpm and then about a second later it jumped up to 1500-2000rpm as per normal on a cold start and was fine after that.

On both of these occasions that was the only issue - once its running its good as gold, and running noticeably smoother/faster/better than with the old plugs.