SAU Community

Why Is Every Second R32 Gtr Owner Returning Their Car To Standard?

hi guys lately ive noticed an ever increasing amount of people who seem to be restoring their r32 gtr's and or returning them back to standard spec asin wheels airbox exhaust interior etc etc youve only gotta check the WTB areas of skyline forums to see people chasing cat backs airboxes seats steering wheels etc

i am also one of these people but im doing it for my own reasons

but why in general are people doing this... is it because clean factory examples are so hard to come by now or is it investment purposes or the cops...

in my case mine is a factory 732 black pearl v spec 1 with 37000 genuine km's on it which its basically just going through the final stages of "restoration" and returning to 100% factory specification where possible

id love to hear more about it and why different people are doing it

cheers John

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a wild guess it is because a number of years ago you would mod your skyline and it would become the king of the road.

But now you mod your skyline and the best all-round result you can hope for is a laggy version of a stock R35.

So there is less point to it.

Now perhaps it is clear that a bone stock r32 in good condition is actually more interesting than some dogs breakfast of a modded car.

Or. Second theory.

The average age of those desiring a skyline has moved up.

The older you are the less patience you have with compromising drivability for power over the last few RPM.

Or. Third theory.

People see the poor value of modded cars and act to preserve some value by shedding all the parts.

I dunno, I doubt the r32 will ever give you good return if your buying for investment there are just so many of them (although I could be wrong aka aussie muscle car scene).

I own a aussie delivered r32 and have done a few things. Its the mods that keep me excited!

Even if your looking at what is supposedly a stock R32 it possibly was modified and returned to stock (anyone's guess).

I think it is nicer to have a matching numbers car than worry about it being stock or modified.

My 2 cents :D

Strip/return to stock, sell.

its the only way you'll get a decent price of car + parts.

modded examples never sell for the $$$ invested, just how the buyers market is - everyone wants a "stocker". Got me stuffed why - but thats how it is.

ah yeah.... makes sense

im doing mine to factory mainly because how often do you see a genuine low km v spec thats all standard and in good condition....

not very often in australia anyway

i get excited when i see standardish ones moreso than half ass modded ones

Has anyone seen Mecum Auto auctions on oneHD, restored cars are fetching big bucks, the more factory the better- even down to the right washer fluid.

But NO WAY am I comparing a R32 GTR to a Yenko Comaro but one day they will be a collectors item, even more so for the V-specs.

I think unrestored cars with the time/battle scars a much nicer than restored examples. a bit of faded paint etc add to a classics charm in my book.

I understand a lot of time and work/craftsmanship goes into restorations, however I just love to see cars in their original state as long as they are semi tidy.

P.S JAV360 you have an AMC Javelin? That is so cool!! Isn't Jim Richards going to campaign one in the Biante series this year?

P.S JAV360 you have an AMC Javelin? That is so cool!! Isn't Jim Richards going to campaign one in the Biante series this year?

Yeah mate, 1970 Javelin in Big bad orange.

Jim Richards and team are building up a 71 Jav with apparently a 600hp NASCAR engine, am hoping this will make the car more popular as not many people no about the Javelins.

the age of most owners has gone up ,also people are sick of aftermarket junk under the bonnet , which is not attractive to look at and re-sell . Depends what you call stock too , all skylines have a cannon fart pipe , the stock exhaust would have packed up at 50k , not many skylines are bone stock !

Strip/return to stock, sell.

its the only way you'll get a decent price of car + parts.

modded examples never sell for the $$$ invested, just how the buyers market is - everyone wants a "stocker". Got me stuffed why - but thats how it is.

Everyone wants to build in their own vision of what the car should be, not someone elses opinion of good taste. Lucky in vic you see racepace and it pretty much equals good build, then you just need to change any superficial things you dont like.

Has anyone seen Mecum Auto auctions on oneHD, restored cars are fetching big bucks, the more factory the better- even down to the right washer fluid.

But NO WAY am I comparing a R32 GTR to a Yenko Comaro but one day they will be a collectors item, even more so for the V-specs.

32gtr will become a collectors car yes, but they won't be worth f**k all here in australia. They might sell for about 30-50k once they become a collectors item. They will never go for as much as an XY gt because, well it isn't an aussie car :D

Like mentioned above, no one wants to buy a modified car, people these days would rather an unmolested car and have 2 choices... to build it to their liking or keep it standard and in original condition hopin 1 day it will be worth lots

no. because there's nothing rare about an r32 GTR.

maybe a v spec or something will be, eventually. although it would have to have a story behind it, plus be original and immaculate in every way possible.

It's not always to do with rareness. Even something like popularity will make cars more expensive. AE's in good condition are worth almost double what they were 5 years ago because some people played initial d and they now have cult status

Im 37 yrs of age and bought my R32 gtr dead stock in excellent condition, i didnt like the performance it had stock yeah ok but with good japanese parts and tuning now is the ultimate street car.I have kept everything the full stock exhaust, air filters, radiator, intercooler, suspension etc the lot.

I enjoy the performance of the modified RB26 its the way i have built the car to how i like it to drive, but the car still looks the same except for the beautiful rumble of the RB26. Im not old but a mature man and a modded car to me is fine as long as it powerwise dont like those stupid kits, but if i every wanted to sell then yes as said before it will sell more when put back to stock which i can do.

Anyone buying a 32 you be kidding if you thought that it wasnt modded once the chances are someone my age or younger had the brains to enjoy a modded version keep all the godd original gear and put it back on when the day came to having to part with her.

My 2 cents.

cheers,

Dave.

myself being in the market for a GTR i would much rather pick one up that is close to stock so i can do all the work on it myself

plus you need to consider that for the price of a tastefully modified BNR32 you could buy a newer 33 or 34 thats stock which is much more tempting

the other question I have, and I see this over and over in the classifieds..

Why spend a fortune on modifications, drive it once or twice, then list it for sale?

tuners must see these customers often. I wonder if they have a name for them behind their backs.

I'll just be happy to see R32 GTR owners put there damn rear spoilers back on!

As for mine, it's mildly modified, but pretty much all mods were done with a factory feel in mind, such as the R34 GTR wheels Brembo F50s and so on.....I like cars to look factory whilst packing a bigger punch in most departments :)

I won't be returning mine to stock, sure I may lose a few grand but way to much stuffing around to be worthwhile.

On the other side of the coin, I wouldn't even look at buying a 32 gtr if it didn't already have a rebuilt engine.. You know it will have to happen sooner rather than later so make sure that the previous owner already forked out for it rather than you..