SAU Community

Why Is Every Second R32 Gtr Owner Returning Their Car To Standard?

Totally agree I was fortunate enough to buy mine stock with a 1500klms old just broken in engine with receipts for 15k on engine turbos etc etc but how often can this be going around I was very very lucky.

In a perfect world yes a fresher engine would be everyones choice but the chances are slim, I bought my gtr because I'm a big fan from younger days and had long long term ownership in mind so spending extra on it as I have is justified if it's short term as probably for most this concern of engine reliability plays a major part in the term of ownership you want to have it for.

Cheers,

Dave

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no. because there's nothing rare about an r32 GTR.

maybe a v spec or something will be, eventually. although it would have to have a story behind it, plus be original and immaculate in every way possible.

What do mean theres nothing rare about a GTR , seen any immaculate cars in perfect condition lately , they are getting less and less common cause little punks f.......ck with them .

To answer the OP's question, if it looks standard then maybe it hasn't been modified. Also insurance.

I wouldn't even look at buying a 32 gtr if it didn't already have a rebuilt engine

Maybe if the overall mileage is over 200Ks.

The RB26 is incredibly reliable IMO. Mine is on 98K, stock and runs like new. Probably has much to do with my driving style too, I don't thrash it at every light.

Unless I personally know the car with a rebuilt motor has proven itself reliable I take those sales claims with a pinch of salt also.

I have had many a rebuilt performance motor in the past, and many have let go down to something as simple as a bad tune or dodgy injector...dont think because in someones add they claim to have a freshly rebuilt engine it aint gunna take a dump a 1000kms later......you just never know :thumbsup:

To be honest I actually prefer unopened motors ;)

I prefer unopened motors too. Because most of the time a build is done to a budget. Also I agree with the sentiments of others that the way some people do mods is completely different to the way someone else would.

I would prefer to buy a low kilometre R32 GTR, crack the motor open and do my own mods with my budget using my contacts and the parts I want to use.

Also selling parts seperately gives you more money than selling them with the car (well in most instances).

A modified GTR (or any other car for that matter) is also more likely to break a component that isn't modified to handle the extra grunt.

My 2 cents.

I agree with all of the above i had receipts for all my engine work with forged Mahle pistons etc etc i have 362 Rwkw and so far touch wood i have done 20thousand hard driven klms and the engine is fas good as new. The thing is if you can buy a GTR with a fresh motor with receipts and not pay to much extra for it than another then you are in front. I had the luxury of contacting the engine builder and they had all the extra relevant workshop notes attached on computer file for all the clearances etc etc they did for future referencing, now thats fantastic.

Honestly if you want to buy a gtr like i have you should know that you are buying a car that does have some trouble and is expensive to repair, if you dont know these things then stick to a silvia period or a SS commordore, GTRs are one of the ultimate street track weapons but nothing this good can come at a beer budget.

Even though mine had a rebuilt engine i spent money on checking and getting a retune with my preferred tuner, checking everything injectors, fuel pumps, regulator the lot this i thought most people would do this and not just assume the gtr they bought is all sorted and trustworthy.

good luck to all its a hard road to get a good one :ermm:

cheers,

Dave.

Having bought a R32 GTR with stock turbos, motor, suspension, brakes etc and been forced to replace them as they all broke at some point I would only look at buying a GTR that had several modifications done to correct the design flaws of the RB26 - the oil pickup and ceramic wheels. I'd only want a stock GTR if it was a non-raced N1 for investment purposes.

Is there a slump in the market for R32 GTR's at the moment? Are all imports like this now? When I bought my GTR, they seemed to be going like hotcakes but I've had mine advertised on carsales for a couple of months now and haven't even had one bite. I've got it priced according to the redbook value. It is very lightly modified, good quality wheels, suspension and catback. Other than that completely stock and in excellent condition.

looks like soon the R32 GTR is going to be the classic car of the future what used to be 20k is 50k in the future like a mustang or a dodge charger :D i mean 1989 R32 GTRs in excellent condition are like gold in Japan but later models are way cheaper

Keep it and enjoy it, sounds like a nice unit. If you want to send something back to make money send a 240/260Z. They are nuts for them.

I think there is real interest at the moment for stockers, maybe there is some older money coming out.

Collectable 32s would be the N1's. Anything in dark blue. ADM's. Some of the crazy ones like the evolutions (theres one on here somewhere) and limited versions and to a lesser extent the Vspec2's.

FYI, there are 2 adms for sale. Both black. One has mods (silly boy) for $40k and the other is a stocker, very clean for $65k. Not a patch on their original asking price but still a very desirable car.

Edited by RBNT

• 3 weeks later...
heres 2 rather bad semi finished pics of my car.... you get the idea though :sick:

Very nice!

Whats left to do?

My N1 is almost completely back to stock. It was pretty stock to begin with but a couple of things left to go.

- Stock cooler piping

- Stock boost controller

- Exhaust ( which i have)

- Empty DIN slot for when the stereo goes

- New rear parcel shelf with no holes hacked in it for speakers

- And a blank panel thing where stock GTR's have the radio controls on top of the dash

As a saftey measure, I'm leaving my oil cooler on, but it's all bolt on/off so not worried about it.

Very nice!

Whats left to do?

My N1 is almost completely back to stock. It was pretty stock to begin with but a couple of things left to go.

- Stock cooler piping

- Stock boost controller

- Exhaust ( which i have)

- Empty DIN slot for when the stereo goes

- New rear parcel shelf with no holes hacked in it for speakers

- And a blank panel thing where stock GTR's have the radio controls on top of the dash

As a saftey measure, I'm leaving my oil cooler on, but it's all bolt on/off so not worried about it.

R32 GTR's came with boost controllers?

Or you meant your put the Boost restricter back in?

I'd leave your Oil Cooler on for sure.

R32 GTR N1's came with Oil Coolers from factory?

I was only aware that the R33 GTR N1's came with Oil Coolers...

One more thing... You have a larger size pic of your Avatar?

R32 GTR's came with boost controllers?

Or you meant your put the Boost restricter back in?

I'd leave your Oil Cooler on for sure.

R32 GTR N1's came with Oil Coolers from factory?

I was only aware that the R33 GTR N1's came with Oil Coolers...

One more thing... You have a larger size pic of your Avatar?

Yeah, mean put stock restrictor back in.

The oil cooler i have is a TRUST GREX unit.

And most importantly - no sorry no larger pics.

Will find one though :-)