SAU Community

Track Day Car Advice?

Bleach1

Im thinking of purchasing a cheap R32 GTR to use mostly for track days and maybe hill climbs etc...

Just wanted peoples opinions on weather a R32 GTR would make a good car for this use compared to say and old WRX or maybe even an S13 or S14?

I have found a 94 model GTR at a dealer that is willing to get rid of it for $13k for to me. The interior and body is very average but the mechanicals seem all in working order and i could not find any evidence of rust or major crash damage. I have also gotten some quotes on an average R32 GTRs with no compliance for track use only for around 10k but would prefer to have the option to register the car.

I was also maybe considering a late 90's WRX or a mid 90's Silvia if there were good arguments to use the cars. I have owned a few Skylines in the past and work as a mechanic so getting the cars prepped and running is no issue for me.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

R32 certainly are good all rounders, the usual caveat of be prepared to be spending a good deal of money on it. Either keep near stock boost in it or get steel wheel turbos on it. Make sure the transfer case isnt shagged, once you get some speed together and perjaps start running good tyres be prepared to fork over serious money for brakes.

But, if you are going to keep it near std and just well maintained then it will be a hoot, but for me the fun and far cheaper GTSt makes for an equally fun package, only far cheaper to run and maintain

Im thinking of purchasing a cheap R32 GTR to use mostly for track days and maybe hill climbs etc...

Just wanted peoples opinions on weather a R32 GTR would make a good car for this use compared to say and old WRX or maybe even an S13 or S14?

I have found a 94 model GTR at a dealer that is willing to get rid of it for $13k for to me. The interior and body is very average but the mechanicals seem all in working order and i could not find any evidence of rust or major crash damage. I have also gotten some quotes on an average R32 GTRs with no compliance for track use only for around 10k but would prefer to have the option to register the car.

I was also maybe considering a late 90's WRX or a mid 90's Silvia if there were good arguments to use the cars. I have owned a few Skylines in the past and work as a mechanic so getting the cars prepped and running is no issue for me.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

That's cheap for $13K.

As long as the mechanics of the car is in good condition, you'd be sweet with it.

+ I will be easy to take advantage of the power with the RB26.

If it is only for track days then go ahead, when things need fixing, you can just build it up part by part.

Thread killer indeed!

To be honest, I'd steer clear of a GTR as a "cheap" race car, they're harder on everything, needing uprating for just about everything.

Get a GTS-t instead and take advantage of the cast-offs that the GTR guys don't want cheap (brakes etc). I did just this and haven't looked back.

I have found a 94 model GTR at a dealer that is willing to get rid of it for $13k for to me.

If you think that $13k is all it is going to cost you, you are sadly mistaken.

There are many GTR's for sale that are very cheap but it is for a reason. With GTR's nothing is cheap and if you get one that has not been looked after you will find out how expensive they can be and if you are tracking it you will find out most likely on your first track day with it.

the mechanicals seem all in working order

For now... There are many ways to make a car run well during a test even if its fkd. Running thick oil, cutting wiring to warning lights etc, etc. If it really is mechanically sweet it seems VERY cheap even despite average body and interior condition. Logically though, if it looks rough inside and out I dont think it would have been looked after very well which means if you buy it you will be the one paying for that neglect.

For a cheap track day car, an R32 GTR simply does not work cause they just arent cheap when including all costs.

As suggested by others above, an R32 GTS-T is a much better alternative and they are quite resiliant, besides which a replacement rb20 is pretty cheap anyway!

You spin a bearing on the track and you're looking at a big bill to fix it properly....say what you paid for the car in the first place.....and you very well might. You add semi slicks into the mix and cornering forces will exacerbate oil control issues, and stress the brakes out. Things go pop on the track as it is a very harsh environment. GTR bits are not cheap and you will be replacing 'something' per track day in my opinion.

Not a budget choice taking a GTR to the track, no matter how cheap it was to buy. Don't get me wrong I've got 2 of the suckers and one is for the track and I love them, but by no means is this is budget option.

nothing wrong with a gtr track car as long as you are ready for the fact you need to spend double the purchase price to get it up to scratch and keep it running.

but when it is running properly the smile it leaves on the face is absolutely unbeatable.

prior to the gtr I ran a 33 gtst, it was a good, cheap, reliable option. just not fast and after a while you want to go quicker.

like anything in racing an honest budget is the most important thing....so what can you afford to spend on the car in the first 2 years?

That's cheap for $13K.

As long as the mechanics of the car is in good condition, you'd be sweet with it.

+ I will be easy to take advantage of the power with the RB26.

If it is only for track days then go ahead, when things need fixing, you can just build it up part by part.

No way Jose!

Power is nothing on Track unless you have the stop power to go with it, then suspension to handle the power, then oil cooler to handle the oil temp........shit load more stuffs involve..........and its not cheap to re-build an RB26 either.

facts:

• A cheap R32 GTR is a shit R32 GTR.
  • A GTR is not a cheap track car compared to a GTSt or Silvia.
  • Never buy a track car with the intention of road registering it in the future. It just won't happen.
  • At 13K the cost of a replacement RB26DETT will cost you about 60% of the value of your car.
  • GTR's have two of everything. Everything. They usually snap in pairs too.
  • I may have made these facts up on the run, but glean from it some warnings.
  • Try not to catch "Sump Baffle Syndrome" (do a search).