SAU Community

R33, Stock, ~$2k To Spend.

Hey guys,

I've had my skyline for a while now; though as a student haven't had that much money to spare on it I played around a bit - probably shouldn't have though. I have a FMIC and pod - aesthetically stock, could use some body work..

Now I have ~$2000 to spare and I was wondering where best to start spending it on the car and where (if I should) take my car to get work done on, in Brisbane.

I'm honestly completely uninspired and would like advice; and I might add I love my skyline but that doesn't make me a mechanic - I'm a physics student... :thumbsup:

I don't want to make my Skyline a disgrace and completely rice it up, but I was interested in adding quality details like quality gauges and mounts, lights and maybe black leather interior or performance upgrades like brakes, new lines (I like a well maintained machine), cold air intake and stuff? Where would I buy such things?

Also, I saw this:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5387

I saw the uber long thread about this, this looks like awesome value.

If I were to make this, any idea's where I should take it to get it installed in Brisbane along with all the other things?

Any advice or inspiration?

I'd say keep that money for servicing, good peace of mind knowing that you have money to fix things that can go wrong :thumbsup:

I work and my major service on the r33 gtr like $4k worth (heavy duty clutch/100k service/splitfire coilpacks/alternator) has got me in trouble from the missus eheh

Hey guys,

I've had my skyline for a while now; though as a student haven't had that much money to spare on it I played around a bit - probably shouldn't have though. I have a FMIC and pod - aesthetically stock, could use some body work..

Now I have ~$2000 to spare and I was wondering where best to start spending it on the car and where (if I should) take my car to get work done on, in Brisbane.

I'm honestly completely uninspired and would like advice; and I might add I love my skyline but that doesn't make me a mechanic - I'm a physics student... :thumbsup:

I don't want to make my Skyline a disgrace and completely rice it up, but I was interested in adding quality details like quality gauges and mounts, lights and maybe black leather interior or performance upgrades like brakes, new lines (I like a well maintained machine), cold air intake and stuff? Where would I buy such things?

Also, I saw this:

If I were to make this, any idea's where I should take it to get it installed in Brisbane along with all the other things?

Imo the next step should be getting a good quality catback exhaust, will up the boost a few psi and give you a bit more power across the rev range. Definetly replace your Pod with a panel filter after you've reinstalled the airbox to avoid a defect or a trip to the EPA. If your mainly concerned about the interior and dont want it to ricey, retrimming the interior is always an options I've heard good things about those retrim kits on ebay that fit over the your current seats after the current seat material has been removed, it can be done at home or by them for a price.

If I were you I would be buying some GOOD quality coilovers, shimming up the diff and buying a catback exhaust for it.

A good suspension setup and a tight diff will make the car a LOT funner to drive and exhaust will make it sound nicer and go better too!

Alternatively you could buy some nice looking rims to fill your guards out a bit more aswell and make the car a bit nicer aesthetically, and either get lowered springs or still go the coilover route.

I dunno if spending your money on gauges and leather interior is the best bang for your buck if you're going to be throwing $2k at it. I think interior wise you're probably better off leaving it stockish. You don't really need any other gauges apart from maybe a boost gauge which you would could in the right air vent (if it's circular like R32s?) Maybe an aftermarket gear knob and some LED dash lights would be some cheap interior mods.

Your stock R33 GTS25t brakes are actually extremely good brakes for stock and unless you're making a significant power increase you won't be needing new brakes. Good pads and braided lines perhaps might be worth looking into.

Oh yeah and another relatively cheap exterior mod would be genuine clear Nismo side indicators for the guards.

Hope that's helped for now.

Edited by -Jimmy-

Thanks for the replies all.

Fib:

Noted, I'll keep that in mind - but this $2k is money to spare on top of emergency money and savings. ^^

FrangaR33:

You mean something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LEATHER-SEAT-COVER-...3-/260577226288

For ~$600 that seems like a steal, would make the car feel a lot more expensive. Where could I get gauges?

Jimmy:

The only thing off putting me off about getting performance parts is that it seems like it can get very expensive, very quickly with parts and labour and honestly have absolutely no idea where go and what to buy. But I love the sound of it.

Lowered Springs doesn't sound too expensive, am I right? should I take my car to a Pedders? Could they diff shim and all that other nonsense too?

Consensus is generally cat-back exhaust, what defines a good exhaust? Mild steel seems like the only thing financially viable right now.

Also, if I were to get one or the other; what should it be?

Fib:

Noted, I'll keep that in mind - but this $2k is money to spare on top of emergency money and savings. ^^

FrangaR33:

You mean something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LEATHER-SEAT-COVER-...3-/260577226288

For ~$600 that seems like a steal, would make the car feel a lot more expensive. Where could I get gauges?

Jimmy:

The only thing off putting me off about getting performance parts is that it seems like it can get very expensive, very quickly with parts and labour and honestly have absolutely no idea where go and what to buy. But I love the sound of it.

Lowered Springs doesn't sound too expensive, am I right? should I take my car to a Pedders? Could they diff shim and all that other nonsense too?

Consensus is generally cat-back exhaust, what defines a good exhaust? Mild steel seems like the only thing financially viable right now.

you get what you pay for mate, if it was me id definitely consider a turbo back exhaust, CAI, boost controller and perhaps keep the rest a side to save for some nice wheels? at the end of the day, whatever you spend it on, ull never get it back so just make sure your not spending on novelty's that you'll just get over next week..

for the exaust you want nice free flow, as little restriction as possible (you should be able to troll for some used bits and pieces to stretch the $2k alittle further

Turbo Back exhaust, suspension, Slotted rotors

PS. yes i know all of them are more than 2k.. just the things i would look at.. don't have to do them all, just pick which ones you want

Edited by .:: GimpS-R34 ::.

IMHO dont do suspension until you have done your rims, otherwise you might fins what you want down the road no longer fits, fitting 18's can make the car look the part without needing to lower it.

budget $3.5k for good jap rims tho. Or maybe less 2nd hand.

Agreed that gauges are a waste until you really need them, you can even avoid a boost guage if running stock boost.

Assuming you car is flawless externally heres my advice.

Stock exhaust, but maybe ad a high flow cat. you havent wound up the boost at all so no need to add big piping.

New ECU, why not just retune the current setup to make it a little more aggressive.

Rims, as above.

CAI as mentioned by someone else, not good to have an open pod.

New suspension bushes: tighten up the existing setup and making it feel a little more lively.

retrimming the interior isnt a bad move either, a tasteful leather seat trim will compliment a subtle skyline nicely.

EBC: just to up things by a few psi and make the car nippier.

Pick as many of the above as you can fit in the buget, or pick the pricier options you prefer.

For $2k your not going to make any performance leaps and bounds worth making with any great sense of quality.

Good coil overs are 3k starters, a good exhaust is at least 1.2k and is a waste if your not looking to improve performance is more ways than just the exhaust, so leave it until you do more.

So if your eager to spend, do a nice little tidy up and some prep work.

turbo back exhaust and nistune.

or turbo back exhaust and whetever else you want to do. just do the turbo back exhaust before you start adding wank factor stuff (or raise the boost). there is nothing worse than seeing a blinged out skyline with a stock exhaust on it.

turbo back exhaust and nistune.

or turbo back exhaust and whetever else you want to do. just do the turbo back exhaust before you start adding wank factor stuff (or raise the boost). there is nothing worse than seeing a blinged out skyline with a stock exhaust on it.

IMO - Link ECU from Link Automotive, they do quite a good RB25 plug-in model (looks factory but is fully adjustable and has heaps of features), will set you back $1675 from a dealer up in townsville and probably the rest to tune it

Thanks all for the insight everyone, I've taken it all on board.

Messiah: That sounds logical.

Anyway, how's this list looking. I'm really liking the look of the Jaycar IEBC and DFA - the thread I linked earlier seems to show promising results and I'm quite confident with a soldering iron.

I think some things I'll definitely get:

*-Jaycar IEBC + Controller ~$150

*-Some small boost gauge ~$70

*-Leather Retrim (There's a group buy going on atm) ~$800

*-Window tint ~$200

*-Keep my FMIC and put back the stock airbox + new panel filter ~$50

*-New bushes ~$??

Current total: $1270 + $??

Now the part I'm unsure of:

{One of the following | $T < $500}:

*-New silicon hoses ~$??

*-High flow cat ~$??

*-Jaycar DFA to lean up AFR's ~$50 + $ Labour of a tuner who can work this thing.

--* _OR_ Nistune ~Big$??

I think by the end of it, I'd like to have a nice base R33 that I can really enjoy driving in the mean time and add to (extremely) slowly with student wages. Rather than a constant work in progress like it looks like now.

2 grand... hmmmm I'd say some nice DBA4000 slotted rotors for the front, new pads all round, a decent boost controller, Spitfire coils and some Idrium sparkplugs.

Boost it up to 10psi, the brakes will save you and the engine will thank you for the coils and plugs.

By the way... Why on earth would u wanna lean up the afr ????? You want it to run slightly rich to protect the engine !

As with the rims, I picked up a set of Konig Netz in 19s with good tyres for $1000 off Ebay, no gutter rash nothing....perfect, looks about 6 months old, considering these things are worth about $2500 - $3000 a set new and another $1000+ for tyres, I think Id scored a bargain... My point is, if you look hard enough and have the patience, there are bargains out there to be had.

Edited by SerenaM

Don't bother with boost controller until you have a exhaust as has been said. Nistune is not big $$ either from all account it's $1000 drive in get installed and tuned up that is not expensive at all considering what it does for the car.

If your really set on it then get the leather retrim and the tint but also get a turbo back exhaust and then save up for a boost gauge and nistune

*-New bushes ~$200 approx

*-New silicon hoses ~$??

*-High flow cat ~$300

*-Jaycar DFA to lean up AFR's ~$50 + $ Labour - Skip this, just go a new ecu/nistune instead

--* _OR_ Nistune ~Big$??

Good move on the slowly slowly approach. I think its far better to have a really tidy stockish 33 instead of a absolutely machine with scratched panels and dodgy rims.

My biggest worry with that approach is the lack of a free-flowing exhaust. IEBC with no fmic or exhaust? sounds like a bad idea.. skip the nistune - go exhaust, then EBC & nistune after to clean up the tune.

My biggest worry with that approach is the lack of a free-flowing exhaust. IEBC with no fmic or exhaust? sounds like a bad idea.. skip the nistune - go exhaust, then EBC & nistune after to clean up the tune.

he has a fmic, says so in the first post, but the lack of talk of going a bigger exhaust really worries me.

Thanks all for the insight everyone, I've taken it all on board.

Messiah: That sounds logical.

Anyway, how's this list looking. I'm really liking the look of the Jaycar IEBC and DFA - the thread I linked earlier seems to show promising results and I'm quite confident with a soldering iron.

*-Some small boost gauge ~$70

*-Leather Retrim (There's a group buy going on atm) ~$800

*-Window tint ~$200

*-Keep my FMIC and put back the stock airbox + new panel filter ~$50

*-New bushes ~$??

*-New silicon hoses ~$??

*-High flow cat ~$??

*-Jaycar DFA to lean up AFR's ~$50 + $ Labour of a tuner who can work this thing.

--* _OR_ Nistune ~Big$??

I think by the end of it, I'd like to have a nice base R33 that I can really enjoy driving in the mean time and add to (extremely) slowly with student wages. Rather than a constant work in progress like it looks like now.

qeel3120, the absolute first thing you should do if you are thinking of raising the boost is getting a turbo back exhaust. this should be number 1 mod on the list anyway. also don't bother going a highflow cat with the stock exhaust as it won't make a scrap of difference as the whole exhaust will be a restriction, not just the cat.

2 grand... hmmmm I'd say some nice DBA4000 slotted rotors for the front, new pads all round, a decent boost controller, Spitfire coils and some Idrium sparkplugs.

Boost it up to 10psi, the brakes will save you and the engine will thank you for the coils and plugs.

By the way... Why on earth would u wanna lean up the afr ????? You want it to run slightly rich to protect the engine !

As with the rims, I picked up a set of Konig Netz in 19s with good tyres for $1000 off Ebay, no gutter rash nothing....perfect, looks about 6 months old, considering these things are worth about $2500 - $3000 a set new and another $1000+ for tyres, I think Id scored a bargain... My point is, if you look hard enough and have the patience, there are bargains out there to be had.

because that is how you make more power. the stock ecu runs pretty rich, and that is the whole point of tuning cars. you lean them out a bit to make more power. you don't lean them out too far as that will damage the engine, but leaning them out a bit from stock will give you more power, save you a bit on fuel and still be safe.

I'd have thought the biggest restriction here is the compliance cat. The factory exhaust isnt aweful and whilst it wont flow aswell as a 3inch turbo back, if he's looking to do a few tweaks on the cheap i'd have thought the cat will suffice.

That said, i wouldnt be looking to up thew boost this time around, i'd leave that for later when the budgets a bit bigger. (that way he can do the EBC, exhaust and Cat all in one go... plus get it all tuned)

As for making power, leaning out isnt the best way to make power. Its not about same air less fuel, its about more fuel and more air. frequently you wont see a big power difference moving from 13 to 12 afr with no other adjustments.

Better option is to go the ecu route, that way you can not only adjust the fueling but also the timing, and this will lay the ground work for then winding up the boost.

Fib:

FrangaR33:

Jimmy:

Yeah thats the interior retrim I was thinking of, I've seen them do some great things on Commodores and Statesmans for not too much money. I'm thinking of getting it done to my VP wagon, fix up the inside real nice, worked V8, outside looking like a tired old commo, ultimate sleeper.

interiorfronte.jpg

interiorrear.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm honestly completely uninspired and would like advice; and I might add I love my skyline but that doesn't make me a mechanic - I'm a physics student... :P

Also, I saw this:

Get a set of adjustable coil overs / Suspension.

Lower the car = Better handling + will look a lot better.

70% of the aesthetics of the car is in the ride height then a set of wheels with a decent offset and obviously the style of wheel.

Or get a decent turbo back exhaust system.

My list would be,

Suspension work / Wheels.

Or

Exhaust.

I'm going to take a different angle here - keep the boys in blue away but still have something that can give you a smile. No point getting defected if you are running a more conservative setup. IMHO

This is more of an all round tweak than "focusing" on 1 thing.

2k is very easy to blow away - especially since you are not doing the work (relying on mechanics)

The list below may cost slightly more than 2k but I'll try to keep it roughly around that mark.

- FMIC is fine - ensure all piping is black.

- Get rid of the POD - change to a stock airbox and high flow panel filter (ask for a high flow for a Holden Commodore VS)- not very expensive

- Quality brake pads all round.

- Quality tires. (This makes the biggest handling and braking difference for money spent).

- Quality free flowing quiet catback exhaust - some good second hand ones around eg. fujitsubo etc. - just give a nice coat of high temp paint, if it looks a little dated - Don't get a cannon/cheap aftermarket as the stock ones perform better than these.

- Quality oils and fluids all round.

- Re-map your stock ecu - to take advantage of your better exhaust and FMIC - best bang for buck performance gain.

- Window tint all round - Darkest legal.

- Clear side indicators.

- Get the car detailed as a once off or do it yourself

- Polish those head lights and install some Narva +30 headlights.

Suspension is a nice mod too - but it is easy to blow almost the whole budget on it alone - probably do that next - or change it now if you feel that the current ones worn out. I personally don't believe in 2nd hand suspension - get brand new and not worry about it for a while - especially if you don't do the work yourself.

Remember to always factor in labour costs.