SAU Community

R33 Gts-t Rb25 Gearbox

hey people, just picked up a 1997 r33 gts-t m-spec with rb25det. im fairly new to world of imports, this is the first one ive owned. i too have the famous crunch from 1st to 2nd.

just wondering where i can get my hands on some redline shockproof? also does it come in different grades? if so, what grade is recommended for those gearboxes? also if anyone knows how much oil they hold would be much appreciated.

also, the car is pretty well standard engine wise, apart from splitfire coils, walbro fuel pump, k&n panel filter and 3 inch catback exhaust. the factory dual stage boost solenoid has been disconnected and a boost tee fitted up running a constant 9psi. is there anything i can do to give it a bit more punch without sacrificing fuel economy? winding up the boost is obviously an easy fix for grunt, but not for fuel. it just sounds so held back. just wondering if theres things i can do without spending mega bucks.

any comments would be a great help. cheers.

performancelub.com is the cheapest place to get shockproof, lightweight is the one to go with (blue smurfs blood).. as for capacity, anything up to 4l.. check the stickys in this section

hey people, just picked up a 1997 r33 gts-t m-spec with rb25det. im fairly new to world of imports, this is the first one ive owned. i too have the famous crunch from 1st to 2nd.

just wondering where i can get my hands on some redline shockproof? also does it come in different grades? if so, what grade is recommended for those gearboxes? also if anyone knows how much oil they hold would be much appreciated.

also, the car is pretty well standard engine wise, apart from splitfire coils, walbro fuel pump, k&n panel filter and 3 inch catback exhaust. the factory dual stage boost solenoid has been disconnected and a boost tee fitted up running a constant 9psi. is there anything i can do to give it a bit more punch without sacrificing fuel economy? winding up the boost is obviously an easy fix for grunt, but not for fuel. it just sounds so held back. just wondering if theres things i can do without spending mega bucks.

any comments would be a great help. cheers.

Get a 3in front pipe with split dump. Wind the boost up a little more unless you get R&R (do a search) and then knock it back until it comes right. Swap the R33 smic for an R34 one (straight swap - should be able to pick one up for under $100)

rb25det takes about 3.5 litres (or until it starts coming out of the fill hole quicker than you can pump it in)

Any one else had their 25 box throwing oil out of the breather?

also running redline lite weight shock proof

Noticed mine was doing this after a drift day, box was not over filled.

should i put a small breather tank, high in the engine bay for the gear box?

Any one else had their 25 box throwing oil out of the breather?

also running redline lite weight shock proof

Noticed mine was doing this after a drift day, box was not over filled.

should i put a small breather tank, high in the engine bay for the gear box?

Elite Racing on here has said there was a bad batch of shockproof that has been spitting the fluid out the breathers

post from another site...

"we recommend using redline super lightweight in nissan boxes, it is equivalent to say vmx80 castrol which is a recommended oil for factory boxes. the lightweight shockproof is a bit too heavy and you will feel shift harshness until warm.however the super lightweight shockproof is far superior to any oil we have tested and used. the lightweight oil is a better oil in relation to load carrying capacity but can annoy people on cold shifts thats all. the redline product is great all round. "

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=293723 for the rest of the story...

.. No oil will magically fix your gearbox, when its old it old, kinda like arthritis... :)

• 2 years later...

Now im bumping this thread a bit.

I have the same problem as murph on my Rb25det

my gearbox throws up oil from the breather, i have also redline's shockproof lighweigt oil.

it startet last year and it keept throw up even when i changed the oil so it maybe was a bad batch.

and for this year i bought a second gearbox and the redline oil, keeps throwing up oil from the breather

What is the problem?? Is it the oil,? it must be becaus the guy i bought the second gearbox from had no leaks.

Regards / Anders

The new shockproof seems to climb out of breathers, afew people have reported this. I think ERD mentioned it and did everything Redline recommended by extending the breathers etc but still didn't help.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, digging up an old thread, I may have a similar problem.

I had a look under the car after a long country drive to find a fair bit of blue gearbox oil at the rear of the gearbox and on the crossmember. The car's also recently been on the dyno so it may be from that too. It's an R34 GTT with R34 RB25DET gearbox and Redline Lightweight Shockproof.

I couldn't find a clear source where the oil may be coming out, whereabouts is the breather on these boxes?

How do I check how much oil is left in the box? Can I just undo the driver side 1/2" plug on a level surface?

Its hard to say if it will fix it when noone knows what is actually causing the noise. If the box is wrecked nothing will fix it. I have a noise in 5th and 3rd and not even a gearbox rebuilt fixed it. Must be a problem with the gears themselves but it's just a noise and not a very loud one