SAU Community

Gt-r 40km/h Over. Need Your Help!

eastes

Still worried about that. My insurance broker is looking into it. Might register the car as a company as well. Will let you know as soon as I find something.

I'm curious about this too. If you put in the leg-work to get it transfered to the company please make a thread. I'd be interested in doing the same thing, not because I plan to be a dick and hoon, but police are so bullshit dumb when it comes to offences (in my case I got a failure to wear seatbelt ticket after being told *BY THE POLICEMAN* to move my car forward... go figure >_<)

lol don't get me started on seatbelt fines...a mate is an apprentice mechanic on his P plates and the poor bastard got done for no seatbelt, just for moving cars around between the driveway and the street outside his workshop (which resides in a quiet industrial area).

I'm curious about this too. If you put in the leg-work to get it transfered to the company please make a thread. I'd be interested in doing the same thing, not because I plan to be a dick and hoon, but police are so bullshit dumb when it comes to offences (in my case I got a failure to wear seatbelt ticket after being told *BY THE POLICEMAN* to move my car forward... go figure >_<)

That's when you say that you were under instruction of a police officer and therefore he can't do anything about it.

Is anyone else slightly annoyed (read pissed off) by the outcome of this?

Forget what kind of car the original poster drives.

Forget the fact the original poster seems to be fairly Remorseful.

Fact;

With blatant disregard, he broke the law.

40+ over the speed limit in any zone is pretty much saying f**k you.

10 / 20kmh on an overtake ., ok , this you can understand.

40+kmh though .... come on!

If he owned any other car every person on this forum would be giving him a mouth full but because he is driving the most enviable car on this forum "the r35" he is given help and treated otherwise.

Also;

Trying to excuse what he did with the excuse he was far from civilization or the speed limits are too low in that area or the other car was being dangerous by driving under the speed limit or his car has infinity years of engineering thus it can drive fast and be safe...etcetc.

is a load of SHIT!

The original posters licence is "so important" to his life and job. Without it he would be unable to work, as a result no income, goodby life, good by job / family support etc etc

Any normal person being aware of this , being aware of how important your licence actually is to everything in your life

WTF would you drive as fast as you did?

There is no excuse for it!

Pretending to care / show remorse by doing A volunteer car safety session ( or whatever the he'll it was) is nothing but a joke!!

Being a snake trying to save money / insurance complications by registering your car under a business is a cop out.

You deserve to pay 1000s more from your next rego renewal and you certainly deserve to be knocked back from most insurance companies you enquire with to see if you can get a cheaper quote!

You are no different to a person driving double the speed limit in a school zone, no differnt to some one doing burn outs in a city centre.

You are however similar in the way that whenever someone gets caught for being a f**kwit you are sorry. You wish you never did it.

I applaud you for your determination / success in being awarded a temporary driving permit during your suspension. However, I feel that you do not deserve it and won't be taught the appropriate / just lesson.

Your work life and personal life should suffer and become hard.

Everbody who breaks a similar law suffers, so why are you any different?!

You are not!

Bring on karma!

Is anyone else slightly annoyed (read pissed off) by the outcome of this?

Bring on karma!

Hi Wori, I am sorry that my actions have annoyed you and other members. I do understand how you feel. I too, feel frustrated when I see someone who isn't held accountable for their wrong-doings. It's even more frustrating when they are smug or brag about "I fought the law and I won. F%#@ the law". I detest that attitude. I can assure you that I do not feel like I am above the law, nor do I feel like I am more special than you or anyone else, just because I am lucky to drive a nice car.

If I may, I would like to clear up some of your comments that you have expressed in various posts.

The argument that your car is built to be driven fast and is safer to overtake at a higher speed and not be on the wrong side of the road for as long is absolute rubbish.

Never, have I argued this nor have I even gone close to mentioning such a thing. I believe my car is just as dangerous as a more dated car.

I feel that you do not deserve it and won't be taught the appropriate / just lesson

You are right. I do not deserve to drive, because that is what the law says. The law also says I can drive for work purposes and I am very lucky about that. Phew! More importantly, I feel I have actually been taught a lesson, despite your doubt

With blatant disregard, he broke the law.
I think you are trying to say that breaking the law is breaking the law, no matter what. You are obviously right. However, I broke it more with carelessness, not blatant disregard.
Pretending to care / show remorse by doing A volunteer car safety session ( or whatever the he'll it was) is nothing but a joke!!

I must defend myself here. If we ever got to know each other better, I would like to think that you would know that I wasn't pretending. Yes, it was recommended to me to help the case, but I saw it as being much more valuable than the case.

Regarding the "Attitudinal Driving Seminar". I urge everyone do go do it. If I ever have kids, I'll be taking them to do it on the day of their licence. It saves lives, I'm sure of it. Take your kids, take your friends kids, take everyone.

Being a snake trying to save money / insurance complications by registering your car under a business is a cop out.

Yep, it's a cop-out. Everyone on here seems to be doing it which is frustrating that I feel like I'm the only one who's not. If it means the difference between keeping my insurance or not, I'm afraid it's a cop-out I need to take. I'm pretty sure it's not going to make a difference though as they ask for primary driver history. Yes, it's probably going to still cost several thousand dollars a year extra.

For the record.... If could turn back time, I would probably just take the suspension. It'd have finished by now and it all would have been over with.

I hope you don't mind me clearing these things up and I hope it helps alleviate your concerns.

Edited by eastes

Most of the traffic regulations in Australia are offences of strict liability, but not strict and absolute.

That is, there are common law or statutory defences available.

In my case, I had a common law defence of 'honest and reasonable mistake' available, because I was in a car with a malfunctioning speedometer and had no other cars on the road to give a reference point, and had no prior tickets in that car.

Other defences are that the conduct was reasonably neccessary to avoid an accident. Check your local regulations, it may be spelled out in the regs itself.

THis would apply where, for example, you pulled out to overtake and the car sped up. I'm not saying this is what happened, just an example of something that would fall within that category.

You could look up the regs themselves (it will specify which Act in the ticket) or hire a lawyer.

Hi Wori, I am sorry that my actions have annoyed you and other members. I do understand how you feel. I too, feel frustrated when I see someone who isn't held accountable for their wrong-doings. It's even more frustrating when they are smug or brag about "I fought the law and I won. F%#@ the law". I detest that attitude. I can assure you that I do not feel like I am above the law, nor do I feel like I am more special than you or anyone else, just because I am lucky to drive a nice car.

If I may, I would like to clear up some of your comments that you have expressed in various posts.

Never, have I argued this nor have I even gone close to mentioning such a thing. I believe my car is just as dangerous as a more dated car.

[/color][/size]

You are right. I do not deserve to drive, because that is what the law says. The law also says I can drive for work purposes and I am very lucky about that. Phew! More importantly, I feel I have actually been taught a lesson, despite your doubt

I think you are trying to say that breaking the law is breaking the law, no matter what. You are obviously right. However, I broke it more with carelessness, not blatant disregard.

I must defend myself here. If we ever got to know each other better, I would like to think that you would know that I wasn't pretending. Yes, it was recommended to me to help the case, but I saw it as being much more valuable than the case.

Regarding the "Attitudinal Driving Seminar". I urge everyone do go do it. If I ever have kids, I'll be taking them to do it on the day of their licence. It saves lives, I'm sure of it. Take your kids, take your friends kids, take everyone.

Yep, it's a cop-out. Everyone on here seems to be doing it which is frustrating that I feel like I'm the only one who's not. If it means the difference between keeping my insurance or not, I'm afraid it's a cop-out I need to take. I'm pretty sure it's not going to make a difference though as they ask for primary driver history. Yes, it's probably going to still cost several thousand dollars a year extra.

For the record.... If could turn back time, I would probably just take the suspension. It'd have finished by now and it all would have been over with.

I hope you don't mind me clearing these things up and I hope it helps alleviate your concerns.

I don't think you had to explain yourself to that moron buddy. His rant doesn't deserve your time, given if it isn't clear to him by now that you actually regret doing something wrong, there's no hope.

I'm not annoyed about the outcome. I do agree with a lot of your post wori, but to say that OP has not learned a lesson is a far stretch. 1. his legal bill went into the thousands, 2. he's had the stress/worry of potentially losing his licence anyway, 3. it sounds like a lot of time has been put into it, 4. he had to take an expensive legal risk that wasn't necessarily going to pay off, and 5. he now can't drive outside of work hours. I'm fairly assured he won't be doing 40km/h over for a long time :)

Like them or hate them, some of the "second chance" systems put in place do work very well. I was on an option notice once (a heap of 1 to 3 point fines adding up too quickly) - took the 12 month good behaviour bond over the 3 month suspension (i.e. get so much as 1 point and your licence is gone for 6 months). In that time I became a very good driver and when the good behaviour period was up, I was still driving like an angel.

Obviously the courts saw that a level of discretionary power could be used when determining a suitable punishment for OP. They also take into consideration that OP's family does not deserve to suffer or be worse off just because OP made a stupid mistake. In most cases, the law sees that as counter productive. I think you'll find that most people/"idiots who do 40km/h over" could do the same thing OP did...whether they could afford to do it is another thing, but that's capitalism for you, and the legal system relies on people not being able to afford to clog it up.

I think some people really have no idea how scarily EASY it is to hit 40k over speed limit in the R35. Not defending or justifying such behaviour. Just saying. (put your foot down for a moment and bang your a crazed criminal. Its that easy!

I guess then R35 owners really need to remember what kind of car they are driving! (mental note for me)

f**kn lol 40km/h over is f**king blatant disregard

In my opinion, blatant disregard means that I was both aware of the speed (watching the speedometer) and being aware of the 80 zone at the same time. Unfortunately, I was unaware of both.

Extreme Carelessness perhaps?

Not an excuse, it's still just as bad.

i wonder if a bloke in a vn and on the dole could buy hiw way out the same as the op has .........just seems like money talks bloody expensive speeding fine in the end

The guy in a VN and on the dole, would have been able to do it for free if he could show his family would be extremely affected. Not having a job would make it a little more difficult though.

I have provided on this forum, everything he would need to do it for free. Unfortunately, I didn't have that luxury to confidently do it myself. I also saw this whole thing as a bit of a learning exercise. I didn't see it as "buying" my way out. I wanted to see how the courts and lawyers worked, to learn as much as possible from experts, not anonymous forum posters.

Edited by eastes

In my opinion, blatant disregard means that I was both aware of the speed (watching the speedometer) and being aware of the 80 zone at the same time. Unfortunately, I was unaware of both.

Extreme Carelessness perhaps?

Not an excuse, it's still just as bad.

correct me if im wrong but when i got my license we were told to check your speed regularly, drive to conditions (looks like it had just rained, roads arent sealed either) check the speed limit signs..

correct me if im wrong but when i got my license we were told to check your speed regularly, drive to conditions (looks like it had just rained, roads arent sealed either) check the speed limit signs..

No correction needed. You are 100% right. I never disagreed with this.

Do YOU really know what speed YOU should be doing based on the conditions of the road???

When I got my license there were half as many speed cameras on the road, traffic moved faster, there were less idiots driving under the speed limit and you actually got to where you were going on time. Perhaps the section of road Eastes was driving could possibly be changed to 100km/h (or WAS 100km/h) and therefore he would technically be only 20km/h over the limit. But I guess that wouldn't slow the traffic down enough and allow the police/speed cameras etc. to raise as much revenue. Wash, rinse ,dry, repeat. etc.

I'm not condoning the speed which was done, just annoyed/upset with the IDIOTS who govern our roads. Unfortunately police and speed cameras are just trying to do their jobs to the stupid laws.

FFS! What is with the bandwagon bashing in here?

Seems to me that Richard started this thread for some information so he could decide the best course of action.

Wori, pull your head in!

40kph over in an isolated area is definitely NOTHING like the examples you sited (driving double the speed limit in a school zone, some one doing burn outs in a city centre). Is 150kph on the Hume Hwy as dangerous to others as 90 in a school zone?

Yes it DOES matter what car you drive.

Newer cars are much more capable than 15-20years ago... let alone a "Supercar" designed to maneuver at high speed.

40kph over in a "generic car" is a damn sight more risky than doing so in a performance car such as an R35, Porsche 911, Lambo, Farrari etc...

You cannot argue that the type of car is not important and that speed is dangerous regardless of the car driven!

Take the same speed and apply turning/stopping performance to the following cars: original Mini, Valliant Charger, BMW M3, GTR, Lotus Elise, V8 Supercar, Red Bull F1.

I wonder if you believe all the stories on Today Tonight and ACA.

Edited by iamhe77

Do YOU really know what speed YOU should be doing based on the conditions of the road???

lol well next time its raining / wet roads.. plant your foot on the gas.. let me know if its any different to doing it on dry roads cos apparently i have no idea

lol well next time its raining / wet roads.. plant your foot on the gas.. let me know if its any different to doing it on dry roads cos apparently i have no idea

Wrong statement to make dude.:no:

What you should be asking is: "Next time it's raining, put your foot on the brake... let me know if it's any different to doing it on dry roads..."

If i'm in the Stag, putting my foot on the "gas" doesn't make any bloody difference. I can plant my foot at the lights and all four wheels grip. I can feel a small amount of slip caused from that VN driven by the dole bludger dropping oil at the lights previous to me though, but usually it just grabs...

The question i asked is ambiguous. There are so many answers to the question. There are so many scenarios. If you had read what I was talking about previously, you may have understood that I was questioning the 'conditions', and possibly suggesting the speed limit may have been too low on that stretch of road.