SAU Community

Which Tyre For 225 45 18 On An M35

samuri

These 225/45 R18 tyres are my only concern in this post. What can people recommend for an M35 .Its around 1750kg

225/45 R18........ Falken FK452 is probably what I will go for when my car goes through compliance.

Maxxis Victra MA-Z1 at the moment is my second option, but I have never used either.

I have heard (cant confirm)different testing locations can be more strict than others. Not really keen on risking $1200 on tyres I cant use , if some inspector got out of the wrong side of the bed on the day I turn up.

I cant get a straight answer about what I can and cant put on my car from qld transport so

I wont take the risk of buying 235 40 18 which is what I would prefer to put on

Edited by samuri

Have a look at THIS tyre site.

In makes for an interesting compare between brands (of course you will have to check if the tyre is actually available over here)

I have Kenda Kaiser's (235/40/18) on my Nismo wheels which have really good grip in the wet and wear very well.... but a soft sidewall

The Nankangs on my stock wheels (I dunno their name) have poor grip (plow-understeer in the dry? WTF??). I think that Nankangs are generally not recommended lol

These 225/45 R18 tyres are my only concern in this post. What can people recommend for an M35 .Its around 1750kg

225/45 R18........ Falken FK452 is probably what I will go for when my car goes through compliance.

Maxxis Victra MA-Z1 at the moment is my second option, but I have never used either.

I have heard (cant confirm)different testing locations can be more strict than others. Not really keen on risking $1200 on tyres I cant use , if some inspector got out of the wrong side of the bed on the day I turn up.

I cant get a straight answer about what I can and cant put on my car from qld transport so

I had this issue....

The compliance guys fitted an incorrect tyre placard onto my AR-X saying that 235/50 18 were the stock tyre... Problem was my car had 225/55 18 tyres on it...

VicRoads refused to register it.. They said that they could see that the 225/55 were legal, and even that the Japanese tyre placard said that they were the correct size, but either the tyre placard or the tyres needed to be changed...

They did give me a free unregistered vehicle permit and kept my number plates and all the paperwork ready to go. The bloke said if I could get back later that day, then just to push in at his window and he woudld sort it out. Luckily there was a local Beurepaires that was able to get me some really nice, if a little expensive, 235/50 Goodyear Eagle F1's (my favourite tyre from having them on many cars before) in a couple of hours.. they also gave me a load of airmiles and free inspection/rotation deal, that I have been back for..

It wasn't the cheapest option, but I was able to get out of VicRoads and drive off with my number plates fitted..

The origional tyres are sitting in my shed under a tarp, and when the time comes, Beurepaires said that they would refit them for free.. wrote it up on the recipt for the F1s.

Alternative was to get compliance guys to send me a new placard. This would have taken a couple of days, and VicRoads said that I would need to make a new appiointment, which would be in a couple of weeks... I was happy to pay for the new tyres and get the number plates...

But I also now have a placard stating that 225/55 18 and 235/50 18 are both standard..

I had this issue....

The compliance guys fitted an incorrect tyre placard onto my AR-X saying that 235/50 18 were the stock tyre... Problem was my car had 225/55 18 tyres on it...

VicRoads refused to register it.. They said that they could see that the 225/55 were legal, and even that the Japanese tyre placard said that they were the correct size, but either the tyre placard or the tyres needed to be changed...

They did give me a free unregistered vehicle permit and kept my number plates and all the paperwork ready to go. The bloke said if I could get back later that day, then just to push in at his window and he woudld sort it out. Luckily there was a local Beurepaires that was able to get me some really nice, if a little expensive, 235/50 Goodyear Eagle F1's (my favourite tyre from having them on many cars before) in a couple of hours.. they also gave me a load of airmiles and free inspection/rotation deal, that I have been back for..

It wasn't the cheapest option, but I was able to get out of VicRoads and drive off with my number plates fitted..

The origional tyres are sitting in my shed under a tarp, and when the time comes, Beurepaires said that they would refit them for free.. wrote it up on the recipt for the F1s.

Alternative was to get compliance guys to send me a new placard. This would have taken a couple of days, and VicRoads said that I would need to make a new appiointment, which would be in a couple of weeks... I was happy to pay for the new tyres and get the number plates...

But I also now have a placard stating that 225/55 18 and 235/50 18 are both standard..

Some good incompetence in that tale.

If tyres are a big part of an accident would the insurance company be able to worm out of the contract if you didn't have standard tyres?

Edited by samuri

I have 235/50/18 P Zero Nero on my ARX. These cost an extra $110 per tyre over cheapies that were going on to comply car. This is a fairly readily available size.

Have been very happy with ride, road noise, handling - not much to compare to though. Think can be had for around $330 each fitted etc. With all tyres watch out for date on them -Pirrelli (yes I know I can't spell pirelli) sometimes dump stale stock on special, mine ended up being 3 years old.

I'll warn you now that the Maxxis Victras can be VERY noisy - my sister has them on her Mazda3 (they came as part of the package when she wanted a set of wheels).

A friend of ours also had a set on her R33 GTSt, and thought that her wheel bearings were shot. I told the friend that the tyres were most likely making the noise (having experienced them on my sister's car - I can't wait till they're due for replacement), but neither her nor her husband believed me, so she went and bought some front wheel bearings. She took the car to a mechanics' to have the bearings replaced, and they checked and found the bearings were fine. Just to be sure, they swapped wheels with an R32 GTR they had in the shop and took it for a run, and the noise was gone.

Anyway, think of it this way: the tyres on your car are THE main source of traction, so regardless of how good your brakes and suspension are, and how much power your engine has, it all comes down to nothing unless you have a decent set of tyres to translate all that into proper grip. Therefore, NEVER skimp out on tyres, and ALWAYS buy the best you can afford.

I'll warn you now that the Maxxis Victras can be VERY noisy - my sister has them on her Mazda3 (they came as part of the package when she wanted a set of wheels).

A friend of ours also had a set on her R33 GTSt, and thought that her wheel bearings were shot. I told the friend that the tyres were most likely making the noise (having experienced them on my sister's car - I can't wait till they're due for replacement), but neither her nor her husband believed me, so she went and bought some front wheel bearings. She took the car to a mechanics' to have the bearings replaced, and they checked and found the bearings were fine. Just to be sure, they swapped wheels with an R32 GTR they had in the shop and took it for a run, and the noise was gone.

Anyway, think of it this way: the tyres on your car are THE main source of traction, so regardless of how good your brakes and suspension are, and how much power your engine has, it all comes down to nothing unless you have a decent set of tyres to translate all that into proper grip. Therefore, NEVER skimp out on tyres, and ALWAYS buy the best you can afford.

I second the Maxxis Z1's being noisy; I had the 235/45 17" version on my C34 and the road noise was noticeably louder; almost sounded like a worn diff'. But Maxxis also do the "V1" Victras, with less of a jagged tread pattern. I'm running those now and they're a lot quieter than the Z1's were. They're a very good performing 'cheap' tyre IMO (V1's in 235/45/17 were about $150 iirc?)

Firstly, my M35 Autech is running 225/45/R18's

I recommend Yokohama S-Drives and Bridgestone Adrenalins.

Now for the thread Hijack:

Just out of curiosity, I have been told commodores run 235/40/R18's and these are considerably cheaper in the same brand/style. (as in close to $70ea tyre!)

Anyone run 235/40/R18 and have any problems with Scrubbing???

I'll be running the axis autech standard wheels

Firstly, my M35 Autech is running 225/45/R18's

I recommend Yokohama S-Drives and Bridgestone Adrenalins.

Now for the thread Hijack:

Just out of curiosity, I have been told commodores run 235/40/R18's and these are considerably cheaper in the same brand/style. (as in close to $70ea tyre!)

Anyone run 235/40/R18 and have any problems with Scrubbing???

I'll be running the axis autech standard wheels

235/40/18's are what I have on my Nismo's (18x7.5).

IMO they are a bit small even if your M35 is lowered as the rolling diameter is smaller than the stock, also keep in mind that your speedo will read higher than it does now.

They will fit no problem with no scrubbing

Edited by iamhe77

Best tyre since the Dunlop W10's. In my view of course. .

These are my favourite tyre EVER.

Also if you're after something a bit wider than the 235's you might want to look at 245/45/18 (what I run, with only 3% speedo error) or 245/40/18, these are fitted to VE Commodore and current Falcon 18's respectively. These are fairly common now, & are quite affordable. Also, the load ratings are fine for the Stagea.

Edited by Daleo

Kind of back to the original question though,

What is the range (if there is any) for the tyres for an M35. Ie what would be on the compliance plate?

Does it differ from QLD to VIC?

I know the above placard has 215's, in a 17, but my car has 18's from factory.

SO, what is the range, and should this be on the compliance plate?

Yup, thanks for that. :D

Anyone else have placards on their car that has 18's from factory?

The tyre size you need on your car for vicroads to register it is stated in three places...

1: the tyre placard on the vehicle.

2: the RAW Scheme Vehicle Inspection Certificate

3: the Consumer Information Notice

Also, do not forget that for Victoria, the new VIN must be stamped into the car. This is in addition to the new VIN plate fastend during compliance.

Also, do not forget that for Victoria, the new VIN must be stamped into the car. This is in addition to the new VIN plate fastend during compliance.

Aaaaand in addition to the VIN stamped on the firewall.

Just another ridiculous (albeit minor) automotive reg in Vic