SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

American dynos..... so hard to trust them.

I liked his comparison to spool and power though, power of a 6262 and spool of a 3076. That was possibly more insightful than the comparison boost curves.

Anyway nice to see a successful IW TS EFR, have been waiting to see that.

Its not an American dyno, its a Dynapack- the same as a lot of the dynos used in Oz and NZ. Tbh Oz Dyno Dynamics I trust one of the least, they seem to have a ridiculous range of results - some of which way higher than hub dynos (should see some of the sheets UK forumers post!).

So in conclusion these turbos are less reliable than magical fat burning devices shown on infomercials?

That's a pitty, I liked all the features it offered which made it sound like a simple quality upgrade. Any words from Borg Warner and Full Racing regarding these failures?

• 3 weeks later...

John.. since you have the pitch forks and the torches out I'm not going to bother with entire timeline on the behind the scenes work.

I will let you know I was your biggest asset/fan over here in the states, and I have been (until your post) working with BorgWarner to make things right, and as justifiable as possible for you.

When we sent the second set of turbos we decided we would ship another set (4 and 5) on our dime with them just in case you had another failure (by that time we had seen 2 other failures on other cars). We wanted to make sure you could compete. We told you (or your shop), "here are two extras...we don't know how these are going to hold up."

Originally we told your installers or whomever purchased the manifolds from us we had only test fit them in an R34. Had you decided to jump ship at that point nobody would have been upset, since we had not had a chance to put them in an R32/33 it would have been understandable. Since you decided to forge ahead with making them fit, we felt obligated to do what we could to help. We also offered to build a second set for you that would fit your car if we could get a jig or a the set back that you had modified when the event was over to build them from.

It's unfortunate you are out the money to make these turbos work and ultimately fail, but I can assure you that the late night emails to AU and the early morning calls to BW to do what I can for you are most likely going to come to an end sooner than later. You may have vented too soon.

Lesson learned for both of us.

I can't see many more orders coming from Aus/NZ (Not that we make up a large proportion of sales) :no:

I am reading that those that have been on the waiting list in the UK are starting to get their turbos delivered (8374). Supply is talked of improving around April.

Anyone who has their turbo on back order hearing anything along these lines. I need to sort software for my Pectel ECU and then hoping to get one of these

Interested in trying this on the little 2L Sierra. I have done a search for a some results in single forms and nothing. They are pretty small wheels but seem to be rated similar to a TD06...would they make 250rwkws at 20psi on a 2L ?

Interested in trying this on the little 2L Sierra. I have done a search for a some results in single forms and nothing. They are pretty small wheels but seem to be rated similar to a TD06...would they make 250rwkws at 20psi on a 2L ?

Roy,

Two of these way outperformed two x -10's on my RB (which are similar in spec to GTRS)

If GTRS is the turbo of choice for your Sierra then I'd have to say the 6258 would be better again.

John

• 5 weeks later...

Progress. Manifold is done, lines are routed, rest of the pipework is off to a good start.

IMG_8991.jpg

IMG_8993.jpg

I stupidly didn't take any pictures of the merge collector, but it really is a thing of beauty. Low mount wasn't really an option, sits out about a 1-1.5 inches further out from the head than normal, and about 4 inches forward of the standard position. Worlds ugliest turbo sitting high and proud. :cool:

IMG_8995.jpg

IMG_9000.jpg

IMG_9007.jpg

Clearances are uh... Tight.

IMG_8996.jpg

IMG_8998.jpg

IMG_8999.jpg

All work was done by Andrew at AM Performance, it took him a couple tries to get to a point where he was happy with it, and I think he's done an awesome job of it. Heaps looking forward to getting it tuned.

that manifold is a beaty Dave, Id love to get a hold of one like that!

eat_me, borg warner is a very well known auto manufacturer... while these new turbos have had a rough start it will far from tarnish the reputation of the company as a whole.

that manifold is a beaty Dave, Id love to get a hold of one like that!

eat_me, borg warner is a very well known auto manufacturer... while these new turbos have had a rough start it will far from tarnish the reputation of the company as a whole.

I see. Just wanted to belong, haha

I see. Just wanted to belong, haha

lol sorry mate, didnt mean to sound harsh haha :cheers:

truth is BW have been putting turbos and gearboxes amongst other things in OEM cars for more years than most of us have existed.

they know what they are doing, and in time they will correct all their bugs in the EFR process and these will come into their own :)