SAU Community

2011 F1 Thread

zebra

not a bad race in the end

battle for P2/P3 saved it

For sure. Webbers still got it. Of course there's gonna be the usual conspiracy about the pitstop but I suspect Webber may have flatspotted the front left on what became the in lap. Pitting a lap later would have had the same result and a lap earlier could have compromised how long he could run later too. Who knows.

I felt the DRS detection zone was a tad idiotic and the circuit overall wasn't particularly exciting to watch.

So much for Paul Hembery being a liar eh?

I never though of it like this, Vettel and Hakkinen have won the same amount of races and WDC's

and yet, vettel is still thought of as mostly lucky and not really racers racer? Hakkinen is much loved and respected by most if not all pundits. It has to be more than just Vettel is less likeable than Mika surely

For sure. Mika's attitude to reporters alone would be enough to win that comparison haha

No conspiracy, they simply make some dud calls.

Like Jenson just said in the post race interview, it can be better coming out second because you get the DRS. Its just unfortunate the DRS seems to barely work on the Redbulls and provides a zillion miles an hour for the McLarens.

Edited by irokin

Hakkinen is known for one of the best overtaking moves of all time, and had to fight schumacher version 1 for both his titles.

I wonder how coulthard feels commentating on schumacher, after he and schui had some pretty bitter times back then.

Edit: Also, race needed rain.

Edited by Galois

Webster BONED by Red Bull pit stop.

SV really outclassing everyone.

Alonso BONED by Fezz being kept behind that sap Massa.

DRS bullshit ruins it... Hamo being able to cruise passed MW after MW's hard won braking dual pass proves how shit DRS is. Hamo wasn't even concerned, knew he's pass again easily. Was still entertainment I guess.

The amount of tyre rubble effectively makes the race line one lane wide..... which is also shit.

Still, a most enjoyable race. I cannot believe (well I can actually) that the track in unused throughout the year. The amount that track morphed during the weekend was astounding.

what a f**king stupid drs activation zone.

i can just see the fia now asking themselves ''what's the best way to f**k up this race and ruin any chance of seeing any real driving''. :glare:

The FIA asking themselves? What? These people are highly trained professionals who dedicate their lives to fcking up motorsport. No need to ask themselves anything - the answers are all coded into their DNA.

Im am literally the last person in the world to defend anybody from the FIA... but, the DRS activation point/zone is a fair bit of guess work this year and so far i think they have done a pretty good job, with one or two exceptions of course.

Having to take into account different track layouts, car speeds, fanboys etc. cant be easy to calculate. The expectaion from fans for the FIA to get it perfectly right every race in the year of its inception is just not reasonable

Next year, if they continue to fcuk it up, then everybody can let rip

Alonso BONED by Fezz being kept behind that sap Massa.

DRS bullshit ruins it... Hamo being able to cruise passed MW after MW's hard won braking dual pass proves how shit DRS is. Hamo wasn't even concerned, knew he's pass again easily. Was still entertainment I guess.

On the first point- Now that it doesn't matter, I'd suppose Ferrari's take on the issue would be 'pass Massa off your own back if you wanna finish the season ahead of Jenson',

and on the second; Mark should have been smart enough to realize the pass should have been made on the following straight so Lewis couldn't come back at him immediately. Hell, Hamo even let him past easily so he then had the ideal line out of the corner to retake P2.

postscript Did anyone else catch Louie's comment in the post-race interview about having to use near full-lock in most corners. Would explain his mildy exasperated 'Did you put all the front wing in??' radio query shortly after the stop for primes.

Makes you wonder how much longer he could have kept Marky Mark at bay for.

Im am literally the last person in the world to defend anybody from the FIA... but, the DRS activation point/zone is a fair bit of guess work this year and so far i think they have done a pretty good job, with one or two exceptions of course.

Having to take into account different track layouts, car speeds, fanboys etc. cant be easy to calculate. The expectaion from fans for the FIA to get it perfectly right every race in the year of its inception is just not reasonable

Next year, if they continue to fcuk it up, then everybody can let rip

So in other words the system requires the officials to work out how best to implement it on a race by race basis. Or in other, other words provides yet more scope for their incompetence to fk up the championship.

Easy answer - get rid of it. Oh and the useless "race tyres" whilst they are about it.

The less fake plastic "racing" there is the happier I am.

The less fake plastic "racing" there is the happier I am.

Whilst I think DRS is a bit hot and cold...tyres? I personally would like to see team do whatever they thing is best with regards to fuel loads, tyre wear, revs and hp etc. But you have to say the rules at the moment are working pretty good. Quicker cars can clear slower cars easier, yet normally they still have to race to get the job done with cars of similar pace