SAU Community

January 2011 Photo Thread

MaTBoY

Yeeewww! I took a photo like this not long ago. Must find it. Looks sweet.

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders finishing up project 365. I gotta stop being lazy and post it all up!

Thats a great photo mate. How the hell do you do that. Slow shutter speed?

I'm a newbie with cameras and have just bought a Canon 550D.

Thanks

Driving into the unknown 2011....

5309269710_1cc014e820_b.jpg

Thats a great photo mate. How the hell do you do that. Slow shutter speed?

I'm a newbie with cameras and have just bought a Canon 550D.

Thanks

David, noticed you're in Wollongong too. I bought the 550D back in Sept or so, keen to catch up sometime to try and get tricky shots happening? Keep in mind Matt and Kory use hella good glass; I'm looking at spending the coin soon to get something good :)

That shot was taken with my kit lens ages ago man, just found it when i was sifting through shots and it made me think of the new year :P

That shot was achieved by placing the camera on a tripod and having the shutter open for a long time. Not sure of the exact time. I used a remote trigger so i could open and close the shutter at the right time to get the driving lights and nothing else.

good luck with the 550, I've heard nothing but good stuff from people getting into photos. Looking forward to seeing what u can come up with.

nice worx shots too owen. I had a look at them on flickr, a couple of them are rad!

nice worx shots too owen. I had a look at them on flickr, a couple of them are rad!

ta, towards the end of the worx I just went nuts and kept pressing the button :) really gotta get a remote though; a fair few are buggered up cause i got a bit jittery as i was pressing it even though I had my tripod secured.

Ah well, not bad for first time shooting fireworks, I guess.

i've not shot fireworks yet. there's only ever fireworks when i'm drinking. After smashing a lens drink shooting I never take the camera to parties or anything like that. :/

I really wanted to take photos NYE of fireworks but at the last second ditched the camera bag. Cbf carrying around a heavy ass back and getting searched all the time.

Owen they turned out quite nice for a first attempt. I suggest that you use the mirror lockup function and use the 2 or 10 second timers that way even if you do press the shutter it will have time to settle. Bare in mind you probably had tonnes of people around you causing vibrations which would not help at all if you didnt have a super exxy tripod that was super secure :)

Rhys - Looks like your light painting shots have the right technique, just that the light isn't bright enough. Were you trying multiple exposures and blending them in photoshop or just one long photo trying to paint everything?

Would like to comment on your photo chaser33sum but i can't view it at work. Must be photobucket/imageshack or something restricted :(

Edited by FST513

Owen they turned out quite nice for a first attempt. I suggest that you use the mirror lockup function and use the 2 or 10 second timers that way even if you do press the shutter it will have time to settle. Bare in mind you probably had tonnes of people around you causing vibrations which would not help at all if you didnt have a super exxy tripod that was super secure :)

The what? :P

Most everyone around was standing still; small amount of people in the area I was in. Hard ground, too.

But thanks :3 Starting to think about the 24-105...

Owen, I always use the 2 second timer when on a tripod, quite useful until my remote shutter turns up (hopefully today)

Kory, only the first one is light painting, and it's one constant exposure with a 1/2 flat work light my mate had in his car :( What do you recommend I try? Cos I'm loving this light painting, the effect is awesome!! Might need some external flashes too...

+1 for 550D

Great camera for starting out with.

Just to bad I've not bothered going anywhere recently worth taking photos of

I'll put one up I took during christmas lunch even though its not very good.... Did a bit of editing but I really need photoshop or something. This was basically just making it a big greener and sharpening up a bit. Im not terribly happy with it but oh well

DPP_0001.jpg

And one from when I first started using it. Again not perfect but was pretty proud for a beginner (no editing just shooting in JPEG not RAW)

IMG_0080.jpg

The second one of the sunset is one of my favs. Except for the tree in the foreground and the lifting is a bit off but yeah lol I need to get out and just start shooting

love that sunset one 89CAL. im a fan of contre-jour...

167146_1596672549807_1025781561_31338936_2483271_n.jpg

was december 31, but shhhhh, dont tell anyone ;)

couple more of mine from this month...

168160_1601972722308_1025781561_31351288_7933837_n.jpg

lol, me and the kids reflecting in town

163232_1601967162169_1025781561_31351287_5453076_n.jpg

"To whoever wants this. Enjoy. Half left in the can. It is clean. Have a good one!"

er, sounds like a trap to me. :/ roofie anyone, lol.

Sorted out my website so it can display panos now so...

(click for panos, probably better to load in new tab/window)

20101022-125551_P.thumb.JPG

(please excuse the pincushioning due to P&S lens, lol. graf lines up reasonably well tho)

20101218-134147_P.thumb.JPG

check out the rest if you like...

http://photos.jay019.com/graffiti/panoramas.php

EDIT:

Matt, like the update, but... Spacing of the text in the right hand column is out. might be the css for the images not giving any right spacing?

no errors tho, so all good ;)

Edited by Jay019

That mother can one reminded me if a photo I took trying to be artsy lol. Grabbed a bottle of red wine and put it on a piece of white paper then took a shot down the wine bottle. It's a pretty generic photo I was trying to do, pretty sure ive seen it in resteraunt menus or something like that. It turned out not to bad considering I spent about 2 mins on it lol

I have another sunset photo which I like better then the bridge one I posted. Is of some Fishing boats on the water at some old moarings I guess they are into the sun. It's taken in the same spot as that other sun set one just 40m away or so. Might post it tomorrow, bit of a shame there's some lense flare in it I think :(

I love the first photo with the slow shutter speed and the motion of the lights, looks incredible. Some good photos in here already :)

Will get some snaps of the skyline when my new wheels show up. Shame I scratched my lip parking at a shopping centre with a slightly to high bit of concrete but I guess you get that.

Wow that turned into a long post...... Haha

I am blown away everytime I look into these photography topics!

I recently got back from a trip to the philippines and singapore and took a $h!t load of photos. I am still trying to sort out what I want to keep and what to delete.

e7f8345ad314806b4b3caf6d48928ed1-d34gfr1.jpg

154949_10150096537768933_536303932_7211809_1020678_n.jpg

154321_10150099924343933_536303932_7263768_6688373_n.jpg

82178da777fdd0c6cc8d8a42e8273a14-d368qnp.jpg