SAU Community

What's The Modern Equivalent Of R32-34 Skylines?

I was thinking about this and it's not so simple, many cars now seem to be getting more heavy, complex, powerful from factory and consequently very expensive and hard to modify.

Skylines are cars that kind of offer democratic hi-performance to the DIY modder and are not that expensive.

I'd put the R35 into a totally different bracket to be honest.

Where have the manual sports cars gone? Especially RWD like the GTST?

This has been discussed.. ended up being 350 - 370Z and V35 & V36.. maybe you should search :P

Ha ha why just Nissans though?

The cars you refer to are luxo-sports cars. I like say the 350GT but it's no hooligans sports car and the V-series have thrashy drive trains. And the 350Z is nice but a bit ghey to be honest as well as being NA so harder to get moar power.whistling.gif

Edited by Tony de Wonderful

i think the new hyundai coupe thing will be one for sure. the RS focus have a decent following too. then the typical rx8, wrx and evo and of course the r35, as well as the above mentioned 350z and 370z.

i think the new hyundai coupe thing will be one for sure. the RS focus have a decent following too. then the typical rx8, wrx and evo and of course the r35, as well as the above mentioned 350z and 370z.

Well the WRX is now a family hatch, and the RX-8 is very meh compared to the RX-7. Turbo sports cars seem to have had their heydey in the 90's IMHO and now you tend to get heavier and less sporty NA's.

XR6 Turbo? the LS1-on Commodores etc

ding ding ding

Any falcon straight 6 turbo will be the next "tuned" car of the masses.

If you think about it the reason's the skylines are a big hit is (relatively) cheap quick easy power. Sames as the VL turbo's before them, same as the Falcon turbo's after them.

And completely disagree about the V35 and V36 being in that list or RX8 or anything naturally aspirated that costs $50k really. I love em and have had2 V35's but it will never be a car of the masses and a "tuned" car like the 32-34's are/were

i think it's almost too early to say what out of the current cars (other than xr6t) will be tuner cars in the near future as the cars are still too expensive. if you go back 10 years, how many skyline imports were really in the tuner scene in australia? very few because of the cost and supply. most of the cars i mentioned earlier still have good 'tuner' appeal, so you will get the tuner companies doing good work with them, but that doesn't mean that the general public will flock to them. the cost is still a massive factor (r35 GTR is a perfect example).

i think that at this point in time, the 2 biggest 'tuner' cars currently being worked out of the late model stuff would be the xr6t and anything with a LSx motor in it.

Maybe a BMW 1/3 series?

RWD, manual, 2 or 4 door, not too much heavier, small to medium capacity turbo or non turbo inline 6 engine (with relatively low power output so I'd assume its fairly easy to make more power from it), sports oriented suspension.

Not sure if they fit the bill of being cheap/easy to modify but other than that when you think about it they are like the euro equivalent of skylines

Edited by Crackfox

xr6t /thread

Maybe but I'd say they had more in common with the V8 scene than the import tuner scene (aside fromt he fact they are not imports :))which is more into track/drift.

They would make great drag cars but for all round 'performance' not so good.

Criteria:-

* RWD ?

* Straight 6 ?

* Turbo modification ?

* Corners you beaut (damn better than an XR6T)?

Thought of a Bavariacars.com.au E46 M3?

Compliments of Herbert Gattermeier - BMW Driver's Club.

Maybe a BMW 1/3 series?

RWD, manual, 2 or 4 door, not too much heavier, small to medium capacity turbo or non turbo inline 6 engine (with relatively low power output so I'd assume its fairly easy to make more power from it), sports oriented suspension.

Not sure if they fit the bill of being cheap/easy to modify but other than that when you think about it they are like the euro equivalent of skylines

Yep definetely. Fair enough they cost a shit load nowadays but one day they will be affordable. In the US they are unbelievably cheap.

Dad's is an 09 335i coupe with the M sport package and the 7 speed dual clutch paddle shift transmission.

The thing handles like you wouldn't believe and in complete stock form can pretty much smoke anything off the line (without even using the launch control).

From factory they are heavily detuned running lowish boost. The most I have seen on E90post is close to 300rwkw out of the factory twin turbos and 11 second pasess.

Absolutely fantastic engine the N54.

i agree with that hyundai coupe thing (forgot the name, but saw it drifting) pretty sweet car imo, looks decent, doesent look too heavy, sporty and stylish.

most cars these days rely more and more on electronics which in real life isnt alot of fun for us, BMW Mercedesa etc etc are mostly out of the league for the majority of people looking at a skyline equivilant, aftermarket tuning options cost an arm and a leg hard to come by aswell, too heavy, too much electronics to mess around with, disconnect one thing and your air lift suspension dont work or your alarm wont go off, the skylines 31-34 were like the m16 carbine equivelent in cars, 90% interchangability, clip on clip off stuff, parts you can find left right and centre and really, arent that expensive to maintain.

but then again, sports turbos was a thing of the past, 80-90's, now its all about that ghey global warming and emissions BS.

only people who dont seem to have a limit on that kind of stuff are aussies and the americans, they still build the most basic/ standard you can possibly get out of any engine/car combination, throw a big block into a big car.... good idea for the tuning drag community, but not so much for most of us on this forum.

but if you want to, think of it from an overseas persons POV, back in germany everyone drives BMW's and mercs, thats their equivelant to our skylines.

USA, all drive muscle cars, UK..... god knows what they drive, Japan is same scene as here, France and Italy its either citroen or fiat or some ol' BS

thats my dollar worth of info