SAU Community

Subframe Bushes

also before you have a go, it might be worth checking the bushes in the rear hubs(where the links connect to). Just put the car up on stands and hold the rear wheel at a quarter to 3 and see if you can make the wheel move. If it moves at all there's more than likely some wear in the hub bushes, and probably some in the hicas if its stil there. I replaced all those bushes in a GTS4 a while ago and you could feel the difference when driving once they were all replaced. the car felt very planted and no more squirming.

• 2 years later...

Ok, so the subframe bushes are on the way out on my gtr, I have been doing a lot of searching and reading on here. I'm just not sure what sort of bush I should be buying. Thinking of getting the Noltec/Whiteline ones. If you have changed your bushes what have you changed too and what are your thoughts on the brand you have chosen.

Also are the nismo ones any good?

Thanks

Andrew

Which and what type did you end up getting, mate?

I can't decide if I want to use PU bushings or Alluminium bushings.

Thread dig!

Just done the driftworks solid alloy subframe and diff bushes on mine. Rear end feels good. It does create a fair whack more NVH though. Not as hard of a job as everyone makes it out to be

• 2 years later...

Thread dig!

Just done the driftworks solid alloy subframe and diff bushes on mine. Rear end feels good. It does create a fair whack more NVH though. Not as hard of a job as everyone makes it out to be

depends on how you do it. if you just left the casing in and used some dodgy solid setup then yes its easy, but if your doing a complete replacement including outter housing, its a kunt of a job to try to do at home. as I am finding out right now..

up to the part of trying to put the new ones in.. seems impossible looks like they can only be pressed in. left them in the freezer all night, thought id be able to heat up the housing, use grease and tap it in level with a sledgy, but no go..

depends on how you do it. if you just left the casing in and used some dodgy solid setup then yes its easy, but if your doing a complete replacement including outter housing, its a kunt of a job to try to do at home. as I am finding out right now..

up to the part of trying to put the new ones in.. seems impossible looks like they can only be pressed in. left them in the freezer all night, thought id be able to heat up the housing, use grease and tap it in level with a sledgy, but no go..

I've pressed bushes in before by making a jig. What I did was get a thick steel plate with a hole in the middle some thick heavy duty stainless cable and other bits and pieces. You will not get them in by hitting them. What I done was use the jig to help pull them in while I hit it with a mallet. What you're trying to make is the opposite of a bearing puller. Its hard to explain but essentially some sort of jig to pull the bushings in while you hit them and tighten your jig as you go.

This is one of those things I would start doing my self. If I failed, I would load the subframe into the ute and drive it to a shop to have the bushing pressed out and new pressed in. Then reinstall the diff. FAR cheaper like this. I actually bought a subframe and have been changing the bushes on it and when I have time I'll drop the old and fit the new in.

Yeah thats similar to how I did the rear diff bushes. I had a quick go the other day at pressing the bushes out but I really haven't had time to have a proper go. They seem to be in there awful tight lol. Will cut the rubber bits out and just cut them out I think. Seems the easiest way

Sacrificial screwdriver and a big hammer. Keep hitting the bushing shell until you think it's never going to move. Then hit it harder and a little more. All of my mates have used this technique and it works every time but requires a lot of belting the piss out of it.

was a bitch to take mine out.. the casing had rusted into the subframe (I think my car was submerged in the ocean, it's got more rust than a commodore VN)... blow torched it, bashed it, air sawed it, you name it...

Eventually got it out, but man it was a mission... getting the subframe bushes in was pretty easy.. just use a large socket and bashed it in with a hammer and some grease.

@ sargeRX8

thanks yep I did try that, I got a half inch booker rod and high tensile 50mm nuts, 8mill steel plate, washes and cups and tried to pull it in.. with a pair of 600mm long 30mm spanners with silcon spray and tapping them in...added they had been frozen for over 24 hours.. but still..

bent the cups and plates, and one of the spanners, ran out of puff after I had bent everthing I had to take it to fulcrum to get them to press em in, even they had to hone the sleeves to make em fit. they spent 2.5 hours tryin to get them in on the press and charged me extra for it.

I used whiteline bushes.

@ GTSboy, yep couldn't agree more.. press in is the go.

I guess if the car had been done before previously and the sleeves had been honed already you may get them in with a pull tool. but if its the first time, and they are whiteline items, you will need a press.