SAU Community

Aberax's R33 Build

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday 16th October

Went to the workshop tonight to watch the final instalment of the Engine run in...was rather boring actually. After that was done we dumped the run in oil, and replaced it with some nice new fresh stuff...and then we decided to do some fun stuff...Power Runs.

Back in 2009 the boost tee was set to 14.5-15psi, and that was what it was still set too. Lets just say this was a semi bad idea, why was it bad? The amount of power that was being made was too much for the clutch to take so it slipped...or just wheel spin.

So we disconnected the boost tee and ran actuator pressure...which was just a measly 8psi. Ran the car up, no issues at all there...the power figure is about 225rwkw at 8psi with about 400nm of torque and a lot more response all over.

This thing is going to be a monster once I have a new clutch and tune in it :w00t: ...which is going to be a LONG way off :(

Was 227rwkw to be exact lol :)

• 4 months later...

I got it from a mate, he bought it from top secret in japan on 1 of his many trips there.

As for more updates...money is a big player at the moment. Still trying to pay off the engine build while saving for a few trips this year.

The heater core/matrix/condensor started leaking the other day. All new replacements are fairly expensive, Natrad want about $250 for an ali replacement. So for now i have used a 20mm brass hose joiner to bypass the core.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

any updates? smile.gif

Ummmm, changed the oil a few times and the spark plugs :P

Other then that not really, Still trying to pay the engine build loan off (almost done), pay for Flights to Singapore for the F1 in September, as well as the F1 Tickets.

However I have been looking at parts to get once I am "debt free" (is there such a thing when owning a Skyline!? :P)

Looking into some Gauges, thinking of either Prosport or Depo Racing Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Water Temp gauges. Some sort of Oil Filter Relocator, maybe Autobahn88, Cooling Pro from Just Jap, or spend the money and get a Grex/Trust item.

A new clutch is a must if I want more power, so looking into either a Nismo Tiwnplate Super Coppermix or a Jim Berry Clutch, decisions decisions.

New FMIC with Piping and a front facing plenum, either a Plazmaman or a Greddy Style, I would prefer a Plamaman as a apparently the longer runners mean I have a bit more torque over the shorter runners of the Greddy type.

Also tossing up the idea of a new ECU, Haltech Platinum Pro, so I can maybe run flex fuel, time will tell really, but I will be sure to update this thread when something of interest is done.

New FMIC with piping

Edit: Oh, also thinking of new rims, not too sure what to get, so may choices.

• 3 weeks later...

Just read the whole thread! Keen to see the rest of it, giving me ideas... :P good luck dude!

Cheers mate, yes reading build threads is good for giving you ideas, no matter how bad they may be :P

I have ordered some 60mm Depo Racing Gauges, which I will be receiving in the next few weeks :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build man, we'll have to go for a cruise sometime ;)

Certainly

How many kms u done on the new bottom end now?

Umm, somewhere around 10-15,000 I would say, coming up to its 3rd oil change in a few thousand km's

UPDATE

I decided to go with Depo Racing Gauges. I got 60mm Oil Temp (DEP-PK-WA6027B), Pressure (DEP-PK-WA6047B), and Water Temp (DEP-PK-WA6037B), now the fun of install them begins which has already thrown me some issues.

The supplied sensors are 1/8"npt, and the HKS Oil Cooler Adapter Plate that came with the kit (15004-AN008) has 1/8 PT (or BSPT) so it wont fit :(

However I want to get a oil relocator, and that means I can do some funky stuff with Braided Line and AN Fittings, so I will get that sorted soon with some pictures...when funds permit :P

• 2 weeks later...

post-58049-0-37222500-1340703193_thumb.jpg

post-58049-0-77403100-1340703212_thumb.jpg

60mm Depo Racing Gauges that I installed on the 19th June. Water Temp, Oil Pressure and Oil Temp, in the Amber/White Series with Peak Recall.

The sensors are currently stashed up under the dash until I get the hardware to install them properly.

Also the car is going off the road from the 29th June for a few months so I can replace, upgrade, modify a few things.

So a few more updates to come a bit more frequently now.

• 2 months later...

Have been doing a bit of work over the last few weeks on the car, not too much as the weather has been bad, been working, or away on holiday - Sydney for the World Time Attack Challenge.

But I have removed the Steering Wheel and sent that off to be re-trimmed, which has been done, need to pick it up. Also removed the Dash which I had a bit of an issues with, but seeing it in the day light help me to figure out the rest, the 2 A-Pillar clips were still holding it in. *derp*

So that'll be sent off to be Flocked hopefully this week, and I have also ripped the carpet out to replace it like Jeremy (jez NF) did with his car "Night Fury". Of course I have taken out the Heater Core also...as that is one of the reasons the car is off the road at the moment.

Pictures to come later :)

Great thread dude I've just read the whole thing and I have one question about the CP pistons you put in, are they a high silicone content do you know?, and what were the piston to bore tolerance as I have shattered 2 pistons in my 25 and looking to put CP's in to replace the OEM was going the same size as you

Great thread dude I've just read the whole thing

Cheers, I hope if was and continues to be a good read.

the CP pistons you put in, are they a high silicone content do you know?

Not sure sorry, whatever standard CP-Carrillo make their pistons to.

and what were the piston to bore tolerance as I have shattered 2 pistons in my 25 and looking to put CP's in to replace the OEM was going the same size as you

Cant remember off the top of my head sorry. I would have to look at the sheet I got from the Machinist, but I think it was around 0.20"...actually that sounds maybe a bit too large, I'll get back to you on that.

UPDATE

I picked my steering wheel up today, looks very nice.

Also dropped my Dash and Centre Console off for Flocking as well, sound be back either on Sunday, or it up after work next Wednesday.

post-58049-0-88936800-1346231168_thumb.jpg

Great thread dude I've just read the whole thing and I have one question about the CP pistons you put in, are they a high silicone content do you know?, and what were the piston to bore tolerance as I have shattered 2 pistons in my 25 and looking to put CP's in to replace the OEM was going the same size as you

They machined the Piston to Bore Clearance to 0.0040", so in other words 4 thou (4 thousandths of an inch).

That would be great thanks :-)

No worries :)

1st September 2012

Decided to clean up the interior of the car after I had ripped out the carpet the weekend before. Gave it a bit of a Vacuum, and then gave it a wipe over with Wax & Grease Remover.

I'll be putting down some dynamat in the next few weeks.

I also decided to install the airbag into the Steering wheel after it had been retrimmed to see what it looked like,

post-58049-0-73550700-1346566502_thumb.jpg

Steering Wheel looks great even with the Airbag not being covered.

2nd Sunday September 2012

Picked up my Dash after it had been Flocked a few days before. The photo makes it look grey, but it is actually black.

post-58049-0-08132300-1346566541_thumb.jpg

Other then that, didn't do too much, just bolted the airbag cover on the dash and the heating/cooling pipes.