SAU Community

Aberax's R33 Build

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27th September 2011

Car was towed to the workshop yesterday, no real progress was done, just cleaning and finishing up things that needed doing.

Called into HPIAB on my way to work today, so I could drop off some parts for the build and this is how the engine looked.

0927_085421.jpg

Called in on my way back also, to see how the day went, and this is what I saw...

0927_174606.jpg

...ummmm, something is missing here unsure.gif

0927_173341.jpg

Ahhhh, that's where it went.

Morrie had been a busy little bee today, pulled the old engine out, swapped parts from the old to the new, and even cleaned the engine bay out.

Sump is going on tonight, and should the engine should be going in the car tomorrow...not too much longer now biggrin.gif

28th September 2011

Engine is in the car, all wired up, and looking schmick. Could turn the key...but its missing oil and fuel....and still waiting on the exhaust manifold from the ceramic coaters. Once the manifold is back, on goes the turbo, and all the inter-cooler piping, etc. Then onto turning the key and the run-in process and tune...hopefully next week, it could be a anniversary of when the original engine blew up.

should be a pretty fun 300 od kw once its all done. not going e85 while your at it?

Maybe later. I feel that E85 is not suitable for running the engine in, plus I have a trip over to Victoria at the end of October for SAU Nationals, so I don't want to be dependant on E85, would like the flexibility and mileage of 98.

Maybe later. I feel that E85 is not suitable for running the engine in, plus I have a trip over to Victoria at the end of October for SAU Nationals, so I don't want to be dependant on E85, would like the flexibility and mileage of 98.

completely agree, also contemplated doing the trip on e85. the 400L i allowed for wouldnt be ideal

• 2 weeks later...

Friday 14th October 2011

Finally after 1 year and 7 Days the R33 lives again. Called into HPIAB at around 9pm on my way home from going out to tea and Morrie says "Good thing your here, my tune hasn't shown, so I am going to run your Car in"...My reaction was along the lines of BigCheesyGrin.gif

Car was put on the dyno, and run in. Lots of smoke as the residue oil was burning off from the previous engine failure, but after awhile it disappeared :)

The new engine ran like clockwork with nothing breaking or leaking. During the run in process the Turbo and Exhaust manifold hot a nice red hot glow to it :), I'll try and get a pic.

Saturday 15th October

Apparently the car was run in some more, and the timing touched up from the previous tune to coincide with the new camshafts. I don't know exact details as I was at work all day.

I had the pleasure of watching the motor being run in with the car on a chassis dyno. This motor is going to be very strong..

Here's a cool pic, a bit of heat being generated i'd say. my iPhone captured the image in infared for some reason..

8a78adae.jpg

Good to hear mate. So ready for a tune??

Not too sure, I know on Saturday it was having a secondary run in, and the timing was being touched up, I have heard it is going back on the rollers today (Sunday 16th), so I can't exactly say for sure.

I had the pleasure of watching the motor being run in with the car on a chassis dyno. This motor is going to be very strong..

Here's a cool pic, a bit of heat being generated i'd say. my iPhone captured the image in infared for some reason..

8a78adae.jpg

Cheers Matt, sorry for the car's smoke trying to kill you :P

Sunday 16th October

Went to the workshop tonight to watch the final instalment of the Engine run in...was rather boring actually. After that was done we dumped the run in oil, and replaced it with some nice new fresh stuff...and then we decided to do some fun stuff...Power Runs.

Back in 2009 the boost tee was set to 14.5-15psi, and that was what it was still set too. Lets just say this was a semi bad idea, why was it bad? The amount of power that was being made was too much for the clutch to take so it slipped...or just wheel spin.

So we disconnected the boost tee and ran actuator pressure...which was just a measly 8psi. Ran the car up, no issues at all there...the power figure is about 220rwkw at 8psi with about 400nm of torque and a lot more response all over.

This thing is going to be a monster once I have a new clutch and tune in it :w00t: ...which is going to be a LONG way off :(