SAU Community

34Geeteetee Daily / Track Project

After watching a few cars do some rolls at Wakie i figured i better prep the car for roof slides :P Unfortunately i sold the old Recaro i had but still have the cage setup and have arranged for it to go into the car and be CAMS approved etc

18c0b381-9f2e-4d5f-be7f-ce1a9f614b5a_zps

Is this a Brown Davis cage?

• 4 weeks later...

So it has been a while since the last update and i have done quite a few little things to the car, the interior mostly went back in around the cage, the suspension has been modified a bit further after going over the results from the last track outing and a few other things... The spring rates are now heavier in the front... The Cusco arms did not go in unfortunately as the bushes did not arrive in time so we will just run the small camber until they do...

IMG_9059_zps2a73b729.jpg

A big thanks to Peter from Road2Race for the ongoing support too!!!

So Trackschool Trackday finally arrives, we got the car all prepped and hooked up to go down to Goulburn via JEM for a checkup...

IMG_9048_zps44c18dac.jpg

IMG_9051_zps9d7cebc2.jpg

IMG_9099_zpsa550c3b6.jpg

The trip down to JEM involved a whole heap of traffic which sucked but the new Ranger made it easy az!

• Like 2

Checked the temperature early in the morning and it was sitting at -3 degrees... Damn cold start to the morning... The tow car and 34 were both covered in ice...

IMG_9109_zps386d6c57.jpg

IMG_9114_zps44d1f643.jpg

We got the ice sorted and headed off down to the track (via Trappers Bakery of course lol) and unloaded the car and all the gear... When Boston arrived we were told there were bugger all entries and it was an open track for the day, i was stoked!!! So we warmed the cars up and head out for a run... Took it easy for a couple of laps and then started to lift the pace, Carmen wanted to get out and take some photos so i pulled through the pit lane and let her out, while still nice and warm i went back out on the track for a few quicker laps and looked at the GPS timer and it was showing a 1.095 which i was pretty happy with for a first session out... By this stage the brake pedal still had pressure but the pads were fading fast...

I pushed the car and started learning the lines and started a flying lap, coming into the last corner i struggled to stop the car so i turned in early clipping the ripple strip, stood on the throttle in 3rd and BANG....

IMG_9123_zps605040de.jpg

IMG_9121_zpsc2862b58.jpg

Bye bye 3rd gear... ole faithful gave up the ghost after 155000kms and plenty of abuse!

Luckily the car was loaded straight on the trailer and we headed back to Ingleburn to JEM which also i should say a massive thanks to as they dropped everything and helped me change the box and brakes... Should also thank Carmen for putting up with the crap for the day lol

The brake pads were all breaking apart and were toast, i had another set of A1RM pads and chucked them in to get me going again hoping for the best...

IMG_9186_zps8dc2b81f.jpg

Annnnnnnnnnnnd Ill finish the rest tomorrow! :P

• Like 1

Bang bang

And a lot of crunchy noises on the way down the straight lol

Jem would be loving your wallet right now.

Sorry to hear about the gearbox, but you have to be happy with the first 1.095

JEM look after me pretty well ;)

Seriously love this car!

Looking forward to joining you on track mate!

Yep will be good once your beast is sorted!

• Like 1

All of the pics were taken by my amazing partner Carmen... Thanks to the assistance of Matt Cook she managed to get to some awesome photo locations :yes:

MatWakefield_zps700b1bae.jpg

RTDC2_zps213e99fe.jpg

• Like 2

Anyway, after the first session i was moved from the intermediate group to the advanced group which was an awesome move as there were only 4-5 cars in that group and all were running decent times... So i got out on the first session in that group, warmed up the tyres and went out and ran a 1.089 or something like that... This was a good feeling considering i had done so few laps at Wakie...

MatRTDC_zps97e5b048.jpg

• Like 1

Next session out i started to get the brake pad fade back, the new pads had only lasted a handful of hard laps before they were starting to go off again.... I pushed a little harder even though i was breaking earlier than before and the car ran a 1.085... I was determined to go faster so i just took a punt and pushed the car as hard as i could while i had any form of brakes left... Although they suffered bad fade they still worked so i just pressed on... This was the result on Harrys Lap timer -

IMG_9151_zps2056451f.png

• Like 1

After that session it was smiles all round but i knew if i pushed any harder i was going to run out of brakes or get myself into some trouble... I was pretty happy with the results i had by that stage so the following sessions were to test various lines and see if there was any more pace that i was missing out on... I believe there is :yes:

RTDC1_zps01401f77.jpg

And as one of my mates on Facebook noticed, YES i am tough arming it down the straight as that was my way of holding myself in the seat on a couple of corners lol, i do need to invest in a decent seat but that will come later!!

• Like 1

^ good job Matty!!

I suggest get Project Mu HC+ next time round or even Intima SR.. I found QFM A1RM are rubbish on the track (even in a shit slow car like mine).

I spoke to Greg @ GSL RALLYSPORT as they have always been supportive and was advised that they are just a high performance street pad and not suitable for heavy track work... Would explain a few things... He was helpful as always and has supplied me with a set of pads to get me through the Nulon Nationals... Will see how they go and then re-assess my brake options!