SAU Community

Where To Buy An Hks Gtrs Turbo Kit?

Hi Guys

The title says it all I guess...

Nengun have the HKS GTRS for about $2850 delivered which is the best price I have found on-line.

It is a farken lot money but from what I have read it is the ultimate turbo upgrade for the RB25DET in terms of responsiveness and at power levels of up to 250rwkw.

Does anyone know whether this kit can be had any cheaper than this price? or locally for similar money?

Are there any other truely comparable turbo kits available for less coin?

Is there anything I need to look out for if I go ahead and deal with Nengun? Their "no returns" policy is a little scary to say the least!

Cheers

The Hypergear ATR43 SS-1 is the closest true cut cost comparison. It will set you back half as much and wont disappoint on results either.

By no means am I saying it is as good, better or worse. I am saying it is about as close as you will get to 'similar' performance without spending the said dollar value.

Please find the hypergear thread and read up on the said item. There were a few revisions, currently he sells an SS-1 and an SS-2. The SS-1 you will see a real world 240+ (tests have seen 262 AFAIK with users not under 240) and the SS-2 has seen over 300kw (320 AFAIK) with users reporting very good throttle feel and response. Obviously the SS-2 will exhibit more lag than the SS-1 but on the sponsors test car it has shown to be pretty reasonable (better than a 3076).

A few things extra to note, uses factory exhaust positioning (great for saving LOTS of money), can be made to be VERY STEALTHY, low failure rate (to which warranty has never been skipped or avoided) and excellent customer service.

Read the thread.

If you go the GT-RS route Nengun will be fine to purchase it through. I got my GT-RS from them 4 years ago at $2400-$2500 and it actually arrived fairly quickly. Also got the invoice "taken care of" so didn't have any issues with customs.

4 years is a long time :)

Customs are well aware of people like nengun, and what goes on. Have been for many years as i have a friend of a friend that works there :)

So don't think you'll always get away with it. Always assume customs will pickup on your bits cash wise, so you don't get surprised if it does happen.

all i know is from the threads ive read the gt - rs kit is the worst kit to apply to any skyline even the Rb26...... i duno where u got your responsiveness info from but ive been told otherwise :S

hmmm been having a think ...maby its just the gtr setup for it ? can ne1 confirm i feel like im wrong :S

Edited by v8tzr

all i know is from the threads ive read the gt - rs kit is the worst kit to apply to any skyline even the Rb26...... i duno where u got your responsiveness info from but ive been told otherwise :S

hmmm been having a think ...maby its just the gtr setup for it ? can ne1 confirm i feel like im wrong :S

In single form they are a very responsive streetable turbo on a 25.

RB25 - single turbo GT-RS - response

RB26 - twin turbo GT-RS - lag

4 years is a long time :)

Customs are well aware of people like nengun, and what goes on. Have been for many years as i have a friend of a friend that works there :)

So don't think you'll always get away with it. Always assume customs will pickup on your bits cash wise, so you don't get surprised if it does happen.

True, anything suspected of being over $1000 is pushed off to another division called "recovery"

They determine what the true value is and you pay GST on the recommended retail price of the item (in AUD).

Ie. Buy a item that RRP in Aus is $1999 for only $1000 over seas.

Then you pay GST on the $1999 RRP as this is their only true accurate measure, not what you actually paid for it (which can not be proven).

Australian company's put pressure on customs last year, then the whole Gerry Harvey bit on the news about internet retail put new focus on the laws. Obviously they is an exemption for items under $1000, but in other countrys that figures is much lower, id expect Aus to follow suit in the next few years.

We will end up paying tax on everything sent from OS...

Thanks for the feedback guys

I will look more closely at the Hyper Gear SS option for sure

After ringing around more I have found a few Aussie dealers who will do the GT-RS for around $3200 which would be a similar $$$ total as getting it from Nengun if the GST was applied by customs. Based on this info I think Nengun are now out of the equation.

I've been really lucky with RHD Japan and Nengun. Usually only get stung by customs when bringing things in from the states but I budget for it every time just in case.

I had Ryan from ISC Coilovers do a good deal for me on my HKS GT-RS kit about a year or so ago, they're one of the forum sponsors.

Wow it looks like Stao@Hypergear might be on to something good with the ATR43 SS-1...

It appears to have GT-RS like response and power for a fraction of the cost and the money saved would be well spent on injectors and a tune!

The SS-1 also bolts up to factory dump pipe and water line plus comes with a new oil line so doesn't require much effort to install over stock.

Can an HKS GT-RS really be worth it at twice the price???

Decisions, decisions :wacko:

Nowadays it isn't really the best choice as highflow options and bolt on Garrett kits are much more affordable and you have a larger range to choose from.

The GT-RS was such a popular turbo back in the day due to there being nothing really available that would bolt straight on for that much cheaper.

When I bought mine 4 years ago it was basically a choice between a GCG highflow at $2000 or a GT-RS at $2500. Garrett didn't have any proper bolt on options available.

Sorry for all the questions here but I have got some pretty good prices on the Garrett GT2871R kit for the RB25.

Would this be the closest Garrett solution to the HKS GT-RS?

What are the pro's and con's of the GT2871R vs Hypergear ATR43 SS-1?

I am after a reliable 250rwkw responsive, driveable street/track car and I don't mind paying for a good turbo if it is warranted :thanks:

the HKS kit is a bit expensive but I've NEVER known someone who bought one and was dissapointed in an RB25. they come with all the little bits taken care of, fit very nicely, are super reliable, hit hard like a train and just basically do everything you expect. they are more expnesive and these days there are other good options but if you don't mind paying a bit more for piece of mind then the HKS GT-RS kit is a good one.

180638_198493110176588_100000477008080_746518_2379719_n.jpg?t=1307869459168330_198494090176490_100000477008080_746524_7860262_n.jpg?t=1307869677

i brought one from tunehouse sydney strait from the hks in japan i just put this kit drove it for two days now i sent my ecu off for a nistune but holy hell!!!

just by the swap no other mods made the car pick up 50X better full boost is around 3000 rpm :D the kit comes with every think as in pics even heat shilds around sillicone joint ..

if you get it and its the real deal you wount be let down :thumbsup:

• Like 1